Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio NAV Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Mr Silverblood
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAV Delete?

Hey everyone!

Back in Feb, my wife and I left the Mini at the airport while we went to Florida. Living up in New England, the last winter was extremely brutal. Seems like we had major storms every week, and the temp was extremely cold. So the Mini was parked on the roof deck of the airport garage, covered in snow, and practically frozen.

Loaded our bags in, started it up...and the NAV went haywire. On...off...on...off, rinse repeat 20 more times, until it died and wouldn't come back. I can live with that since I had the TomTom app on my iPhone.

BUT, when I found out the price to replace the NAV computer, I nearly fell over. It was somewhere around $3000 for it. There is no way I'm going through with that. So my question to any of you is, has anyone ever opted to have their NAV unit/computer deleted from their Mini?

I'm looking to find out if I can simply have it replaced with one of the center instrument clusters. Probably one that has the temp gauges and fuel levels, that sort of gauge.

Anyone?
Thanks!

Old 07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Certainly can be done, but you will likely need to replace the harness as well. When mine goes I will be doing something like this as well.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Mr Silverblood
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daflake
Certainly can be done, but you will likely need to replace the harness as well. When mine goes I will be doing something like this as well.
I thought I heard someone mention that a Mini dealership will need to do some coding in the Mini's computer to allow for the new center instrument cluster. One thing's for certain, overall it's cheaper to go that route vs replacing the NAV computer.

I don't get why it's so expensive.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Wonder if you could do the Chrono Pack Retrofit instead ?

You have tach and speedo on the column now correct ?

I think the wiring is back there for most of 04' and on, would just need to have the kit encoded by the dealer afterwards.

I will look into this further for you.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Mr Silverblood
3rd Gear

That would be this guy, right?
If so, that's the one I'm interested in. And yeah, I've got the dual clustet (tach & speedo) behind the steering wheel now. Wouldn't make sense to add another speedo of course. Glad Mini made 2 types of those center units!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:34 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
So far this appears to be a cost effective alternative to a $3K Nav. I checked part numbers for all wiring harnesses and find the differences are for; Xenon lights, DSC, ASC, Air bag, and few others, and no mention of a difference of with or w/o Nav. So that is good news.

The part number for the Chrono lists it as being for MINI's before 9/2004 then supercedes to all built before 4/06, then few more part no's. after that. with none listed for "after" any build date.

That said, until I hear back from BMW in Jersey, at this time I would have to conclude all the main MINI wiring harnesses in the Mk1's have the plugs for this kit.

Other than the chrono packs installation, some BCM programming is needed by the dealer.

The Chrono pack and trim ring runs about $655.00 - I know, not cheap. But, still better alternative than staring at a dead NAV in the middle of the dash......

Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Mr Silverblood
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
So far this appears to be a cost effective alternative to a $3K Nav. I checked part numbers for all wiring harnesses and find the differences are for; Xenon lights, DSC, ASC, Air bag, and few others, and no mention of a difference of with or w/o Nav. So that is good news.

The part number for the Chrono lists it as being for MINI's before 9/2004 then supercedes to all built before 4/06, then few more part no's. after that. with none listed for "after" any build date.

That said, until I hear back from BMW in Jersey, at this time I would have to conclude all the main MINI wiring harnesses in the Mk1's have the plugs for this kit.

Other than the chrono packs installation, some BCM programming is needed by the dealer.

The Chrono pack and trim ring runs about $655.00 - I know, not cheap. But, still better alternative than staring at a dead NAV in the middle of the dash......
You know me, I would GLADLY pay that cost vs having to spend the thousands to revive the NAV system. It was nice to have it while it lasted. But now that it's inoperative, I really don't miss it all that much. My NAV system is my TomTom app on my iPhone now. lol

I don't suppose you could PM me (or email) what the cost would be to have Kevin check the wiring behind the NAV, plus the Chrono, plus the installation and the programming? If the wiring matches the Chrono unit, then I'll definitely go with that.

Last edited by Mr Silverblood; 07-07-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 PM
chuckee98
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
bumping an old thread for an update. Any success with the Nav delete / Chrono retrofit?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Mr Silverblood
3rd Gear
Actually...I just started it. lol
The first thing I did while pulling panels off was to install my Auto Up Circuit, and got that working. Since some of the panels are off, the next step is to work on getting the NAV unit out. I'm a bit slow at this, because I'd hate to lose track of the bolts, or just figuring out how everything coming apart, and making absolutely sure I'll know how to put it back together.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
He purchased a used kit from another country not to US Spec for the idiot lights. So we compared them to the ones on his NAV just the other day.

We think it may still match up regardless as the NAV and the used center UK version chrono share same info.

As far as I know, wires are back there to hook up to, just need some programing at the dealer afterwards.

Will post up as we move forward.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:53 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Dave if you can, take some pics as you move on with this.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM
chuckee98
2nd Gear
Very cool! Looking forward to the updates. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Mr Silverblood
3rd Gear
Dave if you can, take some pics as you move on with this.
Oh, good idea! I'll probably continue it this weekend sometime, and look up more on the removal of some of the panels. Not sure if the dash board should come up and out or not for this. I found that there's a sub-panel underneath the main panel holding the NAV unit in.

As of right now, I don't know how it bolts in. So I gotta do some digging on that to find out. But I'm pretty sure I screwed up the main outer panel...pulled apart a kind of secure tab that meets the dashboard. Didn't know it was there, so I pulled the panel down, and noticed I ripped it a smidge. Whoops!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Silverblood
As of right now, I don't know how it bolts in. So I gotta do some digging on that to find out. But I'm pretty sure I screwed up the main outer panel...pulled apart a kind of secure tab that meets the dashboard. Didn't know it was there, so I pulled the panel down, and noticed I ripped it a smidge. Whoops!
You're just going at it blindly? Why don't you get a Haynes or Bentley manual, or look at this: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/. Wiring diagrams are also available.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Mr Silverblood
3rd Gear
The digging I was referring to was finding it in the Bentley manual. There are so many pages, I find it a little difficult to locate exactly what I need in the PDF version.
Thank you for the link though, rkw.

EDIT - Took a deeper look at that link, holy cow, that site is so much better than the PDF's I have!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by Mr Silverblood; 05-22-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Rated_R
3rd Gear
You guys may run into issues with mileage. How are you planning to fix that?

Old 05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
chuckee98
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rated_R
You guys may run into issues with mileage. How are you planning to fix that?
Mileage is still with the speedometer cluster, part of the dual pods over the steering column, not with the center Nav or Chrono cluster.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Rated_R
3rd Gear
That is not my experience at all. I had a busted nav. Replaced the nav only with a used chrono. Mileage read from the chrono only. I did get a matching dual pod due to the lights being in different locations. My mileage still reads the mileage of the chrono pack. Thinking that the mini's computer would be smart enough to update to the correct mileage to prevent "rollback" I have just lived with it. Actual mileage is 82k. Mileage shown is 34k. Even had Way futz with it. The used chrono pack matches my cars vin now but the mileage is still off.

And after researching gobs on all the different mini forums it has been my understanding that the mileage is stored mainly in the center pack. Be it a speedo, nav, or chrono.

I hope you get it worked out. And if you have any insite for me I would welcome it.

Also according to a user in a marketplace add. A CAS3/9S12X programmer can reset any of the packs to be able to flash to the new vehicle.

Not trying to hijack your thread. Just trying to help.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 AM
chuckee98
2nd Gear
That is not my experience at all. I had a busted nav. Replaced the nav only with a used chrono. Mileage read from the chrono only. I did get a matching dual pod due to the lights being in different locations. My mileage still reads the mileage of the chrono pack. Thinking that the mini's computer would be smart enough to update to the correct mileage to prevent "rollback" I have just lived with it. Actual mileage is 82k. Mileage shown is 34k. Even had Way futz with it. The used chrono pack matches my cars vin now but the mileage is still off.

And after researching gobs on all the different mini forums it has been my understanding that the mileage is stored mainly in the center pack. Be it a speedo, nav, or chrono.

I hope you get it worked out. And if you have any insite for me I would welcome it.

Also according to a user in a marketplace add. A CAS3/9S12X programmer can reset any of the packs to be able to flash to the new vehicle.

Interesting. Didn't know that. I guess if you pick up that Chrono listed in the marketplace, you're close enough to your original mileage. Here's my experience - not MINI though: About 10 years ago I swapped out my speedo cluster in my '01 GMC Yukon XL for a brand new Escalade cluster. I inquired at the local dealership about getting the current mileage programmed in, to which they replied "we don't do it". Apparently, all they do is slap a sticker that goes on the door jamb that states that the mileage indicated is not actual, and is off by "xxx.xx miles". They did, however, point me in the direction of a speedometer shop that calibrates and repairs them. The shop was able to input the mileage on the new cluster to match the old. I doubt that 1. A local MINI dealership will be able to program it in (or even know what to do). 2. A local speedo shop will have the software to communicate with the MINI cluster, based on the rarity of the part. But I'm not sure of either. Anyway, the other option I guess would be to have the sticker in the door jamb indicating the mileage error, which wouldn't be so bad if the Chrono was bought new and you're starting from "0", but if you're buying it used, then if you go to sell the vehicle, and the mileage is higher than actual, you may have some difficulty with the buyer. If the programmer referenced in the marketplace works (either to match, or reset to "0"), this becomes a moot point other than the additional cost of the programmer.

I guess I'll just keep following the updates until my Nav kicks the bucket.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:46 AM
chuckee98
2nd Gear
In doing a quick search on the programmer referenced, based on the cost of the unit and the number of vehicles it works with, it would not be unreasonable for a speedometer shop to have one of these. I would think then a quick trip to a capable speedo shop may resolve the issue with the mileage. But who knows?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Look for a totalled MINI with Nav and buy it off that one.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Rated_R
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chuckee98
In doing a quick search on the programmer referenced, based on the cost of the unit and the number of vehicles it works with, it would not be unreasonable for a speedometer shop to have one of these. I would think then a quick trip to a capable speedo shop may resolve the issue with the mileage. But who knows?

I do not want to discourage you in your endeavors, just figured I would pass the knowledge.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:27 PM
chuckee98
2nd Gear
I do not want to discourage you in your endeavors, just figured I would pass the knowledge.
No worries. Your(s and others) experience(s) is (are) greatly appreciated.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-

I dont follow....the chrono pack was never restricted to a factory installation. It was also a MINI "aftersales" kit available late 2004 I believe. After installation it is encoded to the vehicle by the dealer. Any data such as mileage would be passed on and accurate.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Rated_R
3rd Gear
I dont follow....the chrono pack was never restricted to a factory installation. It was also a MINI "aftersales" kit available late 2004 I believe. After installation it is encoded to the vehicle by the dealer. Any data such as mileage would be passed on and accurate.
As those are all very true statements, we are dealing with used parts here that have been coded to specific cars. And it appears as if once its coded it cannot be recoded.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio NAV Delete?