Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Can I get Four (2x2) Channels of Clean, Flat Speaker Output from a HIFI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:50 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Line Output Converters, Signal Processors, Etc (help!)

I'm working on my system first... and am (like everyone else) trying to work through this OEM integration stuff. I've always used Alpine decks in the past and avoided this.

Question: Can I get Four (2x2) Channels of Clean, Flat Speaker Output from a HIFI?

I want ONE unit that will give me a Line Output conversion from speaker level to high voltage RCAs AND an solid EQ. At the moment, I am looking at the analogue products from Audio Control. I'd like the EQS, which will do all of the above, but it requires 4-channels (two pair) of flat speaker level inputs... can I get two pair out of this 10 speaker system? I've heard the front channel right after the head unit is flat, is there another?

Just to give a picture of the system, the outputs will go to a 4-channel amp (JL 300/4 V2) that will run comps (focal polyglass) off the front channel and will run a single 10" sub (JL w1) off of the bridged rear channels. The amp will act as the xover.

Input on other line out converters and EQs is helpful as well!

Last edited by fast_eddy; 01-07-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
Well... I was considering the Audiocontrol EQS as I need something that can work properly with four outputs (front & Rear/sub), and that requires four channels of input... but now I am thinking maybe it would be better just to separate the units. Maybe a 2-to-4 channel line output converter THEN an EQ? I'd love an in-dash (or secret compartment, perhaps) EQ... and then just use a line out like the AudioControl LC2i? Not sure I need all its bass reproduction capabilities... I'm also not sure what EQ to use since so few brands make them...

Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
OK... plan is changing.

front speaker wire --> Simple line output converter ---> parametric EQ ---> JL Amp

Most of the sound processors I have found require too many outputs, have too many inputs, have too much digital processing, are too expensive, or only allow control from the trunk. This setup will hopefully give me good clean sound AND allow me to boost/cut a few frequencies from the front.

Has anyone mounted an Equalizer in the secret compartment? I've seen some receivers, but not an EQ yet (I may go this way if getting access isn't too bad).

Old 01-08-2013, 04:28 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You can get 4 (right front, left front, right rear, left rear) outputs from the head unit at the X9931 connector in the front drivers footwell. Search X9331 for more information on it.

To get these though you must disconnect the HiFi amp. Just one note on the HiFi amp. Leave it in the car and leave power and the wiring harness attached to it. If it is not there then the dealer will not do any software updates to the car if they are needed. The software looks for all items originally in the car and will fail if one is not present.

You could use NCS expert to change the Vehicle coding to eliminate the amp but them you would also loose the Flat response from the head unit.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
The new setup I'm trying only needs two... so I'll just use the front.

Is there any way I can steal those two front for my system but leave the rear in tact? I only ask because I figure leaving the back up sensor speakers makes sense (if not for me, then for a future owner!). I will not be adding aftermarket rear speakers...