Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 2008 HIFI amplifier upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 PM
rogerjeep
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 HIFI amplifier upgrade

I have a 2008 Mini S with the HIFI upgrade, I am looking at changing out the factory amplifier with a JL Audio XD700/5 and adding a sub. However, I heard that I should not replace the factory amplifier because of the mini's computer. Is this true?
Does any one have any advice on replacing the factory amplifier. What problems will I have if I replace the amp? Or should I add a second amp for the sub? If so, how would I do that?
I know the XD700/5 will fit where my factory amplifier is, does anyone have any other amp recommendations that will fit in the same location?

Thanks,
Any advice is needed.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
The factory amplifier must remain in the car or at least be reconnected in order for the dealer to perform any upgrades. The factory amp has a connection to the K-CAN bus and the computer knows it is supposed to be there.

If you are planning on upgrading all of your speakers then a 5ch amp would be a good choice. If you are planning on leaving any of the factory speakers in place you will want to leave them connected to the HiFi amp since the crossovers are all built into the amp - only the tweeters have any passive component frequency protection.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have just learned the amp can be removed from the vehicle as long as the Vehicle Order is updated (using NCS Expert) to remove the HIFI option code $6FD (or $674 if you have the HK system). The dealer will not have any problem coding the car at that point.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
I have just learned the amp can be removed from the vehicle as long as the Vehicle Order is updated (using NCS Expert) to remove the HIFI option code $6FD (or $674 if you have the HK system). The dealer will not have any problem coding the car at that point.
That is what we've heard as well. Unfortunately, as far as I know the dealer's can't (or won't?) change it. I've talked to two techs who both said they don't have the ability with the ISTA/P to program changes to installed modules. So unless you are willing (and savvy/bold enough) to go the NCS route, you're stuck keeping the amp installed (or at least on hand).

EDIT: On second thought, it doesn't make any sense that the dealer wouldn't be able to program changes to installed modules - that's exactly what they do for any dealer-installed option. And they must be able to change the amp option code, otherwise they wouldn't be able to upgrade from HIFI to the new HK. Still, one of the tech's told me for certain that he personally had to re-install a HIFI amp in order to do install bluetooth.

Does that jive with your information?

Last edited by Kevin@Integral Audio; 12-14-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:43 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
You are absolutely correct!

NCS Expert is the probably one of the only few ways to change the Vehicle Order. ISTA/P doesn't do it, you can only add "official" retrofits to the vehicle, but cannot remove them. I am sure the dealer does not have access to NCS, even the regional techs probably don't have the capability.

The Vehicle Order stored in the car is very detailed, including the interior options and color of the car.

If you are curious check out my car's VO here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...6&postcount=11

Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Strobey,

See my EDIT to the post above. Something still doesn't seem right to me. I could understand about "official" retrofits, but he HIFI to HK upgrade wouldn't make sense - unless ISTA/P is purposely "dummed" down to prevent access. Is that your understanding?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Well, I never got to the retrofit screen of ISTA/P (some sort of issue with my J2534 cable) on my car so I wasn't able to see if HK upgrade was an official upgrade.

I think the ISTA/P is dummed down, but since ISTA/P is updated very frequently and they add new options and features regularly. ISTA/P includes the updated firmware for modules. For theoretical example, to really retrofit an HK amp from the HIFI amp (I discovered that the manufacturer of the amp is HarmonKardon, at least that is what it reports) would require a firmware update to the head unit radio module to include new the new AMP VO option code and DSP filter settings required. So it is possible it could become an official retrofit.

Unfortunately, I just did not get very far in ISTA/P to give a real answer about the capabilities.