Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Anyone else hearing popping sound from woofers in HK system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 08:38 AM
dwarner
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just recently I've been hearing a popping sound from the woofers in my mini with the HK system - The temperatures have been at or below freezing since the first occurence but I don't think that should have any thing to do with it. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Old 12-21-2003, 12:49 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>Just recently I've been hearing a popping sound from the woofers in my mini with the HK system - The temperatures have been at or below freezing since the first occurence but I don't think that should have any thing to do with it. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

dwarner,
Aloha and welcome ot NAM.
If the popping noise is all the time then I'd recommend taking it in to the dealer and have them check it out.
Do you have anything else added on or upgraded that is electrical? Anything that might affect electrical power or cause feedback?

It is possible that the wiring harness might have a role in this problem. I searched NAM threads for popping noises from H/K but there was not much reported by others.

Let us know if you find a fix for this.

Old 12-21-2003, 12:52 PM
MartyR
5th Gear
I have heard this a few times with the HK, but it's always coincident with the automatic door-locking mechanism actuation. I bet it has something to do with the wires running in the same harness (though this is purely speculation).

HTH

M

Old 12-23-2003, 10:21 AM
GRENDEL
3rd Gear
Marty

I have the thump when the doorlocks actuate sometimes its loud like aphonebook being dropped from 6 ft to a floor other times it is barely noticeable. It doesn't corespond with the loudness of the radio. So is this sound I'm hearing actually coming from the speakers? I dismissed that due to volume not affecting the sound. But I may have to rethink the cause is this a common thing for the HK system?

Old 01-04-2004, 06:28 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
i have heard it couple of time in mine.
mine sounds like from the rare right side.
i though it was sound from the exaust!
maybe it is from H/K!

Old 01-06-2004, 01:49 AM
CirqueDeSoMini
2nd Gear
i get some weird stuff coming out of the F/right midbass when volume is down and i insert/eject a cd...it's like i'm hearing the servo...could be too much solder, a pinch in the wiring harness..which i can live with.. or a cold solder joint; which will eventually fail..either way i'll have it " heard " at and documented at mini dealer...do the same

Old 01-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Antranik
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My speakers will make a popping sound too and it is FOR SURE from the speakers because it will occur when I take the volume to full blast. Plus the song has to have a considerable amount of bass (think: trance for example), but really when it kicks in, it feels like the speakers simply can't handle the power properly and so it gets distorted/poppy. This doesn't happen often but I can make it at least once or twice with the right punchy songs and volume up. The problem is, I don't think this H/K system goes loud enough, it is really a shame. While the quality and clarity are great, it seems like the system itself just doesn't go that loud, and even with that "max power" the speakers can't handle it I suppose.

Oh and another thing, my passenger side tweeter has been making high pitched buzzy sounds lately as if it's some old crappy tweeter that can't reproduce music well at all, VERY ANNOYING. Do you guys think the dealer will replace this? (Is it the solution) It is apparent in some songs but not most, as it depends on the specific frequencies I guess and all that.