Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Stereo Dash Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:36 AM
angmarceau
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Dash Kits?

Is there anyone out there that's installed a aftermarket stereo with flip display in their MINI? I have a 2010 convertible and I want Sirius, NAV and other bells and whistles that I just can't get with the factory installs.
I found this dash kit online and I'm wondering if anyone has it installed? I have a budget of about 1500-2000 and I'm hoping that's going to be enough. Also if anyone is in the Jacksonville, Florida area and can recommend an installer that would be great.....I don't want to try the install myself. Here's a pic of the dash kit I'm looking at.

Attached Thumbnails Stereo Dash Kits?-dashkit.jpg  

Last edited by angmarceau; 06-02-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There is one problem with replacing the head unit in the 2nd Gen cars.

It MUST stay in the car as it is part of the main computer system of the car.

Directly below the speedometer is where the head unit sits and it is connected to the speedo directly.

There are some Japanese kits that have wiring harnesses that can move the head unit to the secret compartment but at last check those ran about $500.00 for the Kit and another $300-400 to get it to the USA.

Metro has stated that they are working on a module that supposed be able to eliminate the head unit but I am very skeptical about this as the head unit is so integrated into the workings of the car.

A number of people here on NAM have installed 1 DIN radios in the Secret Compartment but it would be tough to mount a flip screen type in there because of how far in it would sit.

Others here have redesigned the center plastics themselves and put in 7" touch screens but that move the window switches almost down behind the cup holders.

Here are a few threads you might want to read thru.

This one shows the head unit/speedo combination out of the car.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...em-stereo.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-and-more.html

If you have the OEM NAV in your car it makes it even more difficult as it is a 2 DIN unit, and as such can not fit in the secret compartment.

Any more questions come back an ask.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
angmarceau
1st Gear
Well I contacted local audio place and they claim they have installed after-market radio in Mini's before with no issues. Not sure how they are doing it, but they claim it's no issue.
So here's what I'm looking at.
I purchaed the dash kit.
Audio installed will provide me with the following components:
  • Kenwood KVT-614
  • Navigation Ready: Kenwood KNA-G510
  • Kenwood CA-SR20V
  • SIRIUS SC-C1
  • Bluetooth Ready: Kenwood KCA-BT200
  • iPod and iPhone Ready: Kenwood KCA-IP301V
  • Steering Wheel Control Ready: PAC SWI-JACKv1
Installed - quoted $1300 That doesn't include any speakers or amps or anything. just the deck and install and the items above.

Thoughts? Seem reasonable?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:23 AM
adude007
2nd Gear
I had a guy at an install place "prove" to me that there was an adapter that eliminated the need to have the factory radio in. When I read the description of what he was showing me, it turned out to be some adapter to add bluetooth to BMW radios. What I was shown is installer.com. I laughed at him and then walked out.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:26 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
There are HUGH differences between 1st gen MINI's and 2nd Gen MINI's.

1st gen have an easy way of changing the radio - just like old cars of the past you take out the old radio and put in the new. There was no computer in the 1st Gen Radio.

In the 2nd Gen there is a computer that handles ALL of the data that is displayed on the screen in the car. Remove that and you are screwed.

In fact on the 2nd gen the plastics to get a radio to fit are wider that the OEM due to the fact that the OEM in not wide enough to fit a Aftermarket Radio thru.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 AM
angmarceau
1st Gear
That's exactly what I told the guy -- repeatedly. My first question to them was "have you ever installed after-market in Mini 2008+" - answer was yes. I explained all I had been reading about the difficulties & I even brought up the fact that there is a kit that's sold for $300+. He claimed he is aware of what's needed and said again it's no issues....

I'm am in no way an expert in this. I'll just have to make sure that I get everything in writing before I leave my car there. If they break it, they will just have to fix it. This was one of the main reasons I didn't want to do it myself was because I was afraid to break something That's why I'm going to an "expert" as they call themselves.

We shall see...I get the dash kit on Wednesday & I'm dropping my car off on Friday morning.

If any one has any suggestions on things I can ask, or things I can have him put in writing to protect the job.. it would be appreciated.

Last edited by angmarceau; 06-01-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
jaydub
2nd Gear
I think the best protection you've got right now is to not give this guy your business. He obviously doesn't know what you're trying to tell him, so I'd be hesitant to leave my car in his hands when he could irreversibly damage it.

Call me a skeptic, but reassurances over the phone are hardly useful.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by angmarceau
If any one has any suggestions on things I can ask, or things I can have him put in writing to protect the job.. it would be appreciated.
Ask them these questions and see what their answers are compared to what you will find here.

OBC = On Board Computer
OBC data is Clock, Date, Time, Avg Speed, Trip Odometer, and any thign else that shows up in the MENU of the car as OEM.

1. Where will you put the new head unit?

2. Where are you going to put the OEM head unit?

3. If you have NAV - what will be displayed on the NAV Screen

4. If No NAV - Where will the Time/Date/and other OBC data (avg speed etc) be displayed.

Answer to questions above.

1. Secret compartment - Ask "How is flip screen going to open, Up or Down?" If Up - Ask "How will that happen if the compartment door it in the way?"

1. OEM location - Ask "How are they going to connect the speedo/nav display screens to that the OBC data is still available?"

2. If OEM location see above note:

3. If nothing then Ask "How where will I be able to see the OBC data?"

4. If they do not know stay away form them.

Now with all that said they may have some magic box that take the place of the OBC built into the OEM Head Unit and if they do please inform all of us what that is as we all want to know.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:16 AM
angmarceau
1st Gear
Thank you very much!!! I have printed this out and will study it all so I can sound smart when I go in and talk to him.

I figure that bottom line if I have a written guarantee from them that all factory OBC items will work after the install then I can't go wrong. Well maybe I can, but if something's not working - then I will expect them to fix it or put my car back to where it was when the started and get a full refund.

Maybe that's wishful thinking. But this particular Audio place has been in business for 15+ years and 4-5 of my work collegues recommended them and said they are reputable.

Thanks again for the info - it's very much appreciated!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:26 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Thank you very much!!! I have printed this out and will study it all so I can sound smart when I go in and talk to him.

I figure that bottom line if I have a written guarantee from them that all factory OBC items will work after the install then I can't go wrong. Well maybe I can, but if something's not working - then I will expect them to fix it or put my car back to where it was when the started and get a full refund.

Maybe that's wishful thinking. But this particular Audio place has been in business for 15+ years and 4-5 of my work collegues recommended them and said they are reputable.

Thanks again for the info - it's very much appreciated!
There is a shop around me that has been doing car audio for over 20 years and has done some great work. But when I asked them to do some work on my car the appologized and said The parts to do what you want to do are not yet available. So I went completely a different direction with my audio system and designed the system my self. Here is a glimpse of what it did.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-upgrades.html

Now this was almost 2 years ago but from what i have read and been told my Metra they have not finished the OBC replacement box as of May 14 2010 Last time I checked) and they were not expecting it for at least 6 months.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We shall see...I get the dash kit on Wednesday & I'm dropping my car off on Friday morning.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 AM
angmarceau
1st Gear
Ok - so I went to another two Audio installers today. Just to see what they would say about the install into the Mini Cooper Conv. And both are saying it's possible. The guy at one shop even showed me the wiring harness that is sold by Metra for 2007+ Mini Cooper Convertibles ONLY. I found that one a little weird though, i wouldn't think there was any difference between the Mini Cooper hardtop and convertible. Why would they sell the kit for one and not the other? I wish metra's website was up so I could look all this up myself....

Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Here is where a problem exists.

Hardtops and convertibles have different dates for going to generation 2.

Hardtop 2002-2006 = Gen 1 - 2007+ = Gen 2
Convert 2002-2007 - Gen 1 - 2009+ = Gen 2 None were made for 2008 model year
Clubman 2008+ = Gen 2

If they are telling you that the part is for 2007+ convertibles only then they are wrong. 2007 convt. was a Gen 1. 2009 was when the convert went to gen 2 and became the same audio system as the 2007+ hardtop.

If the cable is for a 2007 convertible only then it is a Generation 1 cable and that WILL NOT work on a Gen 2 car.

This is were "we here" know a lot more about what is going on than those at Metra and than those that rely on that information form Metra.

I personally have been thru this with many many many people on Gen 2 cars and every time they end up saying it can not be done as the wiring harness is the wrong one. And in one case the audio shop messed up the car so bad it had to go back to the dealer and have a main wiring harness changed. The car owner had to foot the bill and sue the audio shop for it. Not sure what the final outcome was but do you really want to go thru this kind of hassle.

Ask them the questions i suggested and see what their answers are then bring those answers back here and let us know what they are.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:41 AM
angmarceau
1st Gear
I hear what your saying...I'm just getting totally frustrated I just want it all I guess... I want Radio, Satelite, NAV, Bluetooth, Ipod, basically I want it all But I don't want all these wires and stuff that I have now... There is so little room inside as it is, once I add the external Sirius radio, Cell Phone holder & Garmin NAV - there is "stuff" everywhere

I'm just so darn picky -- just like a woman (No offence to other women out there - I'm speaking only for myself)

And I definately don't want to add to my troubles and have to deal with the dealership on fixing anything.

I did just call the dealership and spoke with the parts guys, and they have an Alpine Upgrade for $724.00. I wonder if I should do that just to get a better sound? That sounds pretty reasonable. Anyone else done this dealer upgrade yet?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:11 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Question for you as you have not stated which stereo system you have.

Basic - speakers in doors and rear only

HiFi - speakers in doors with tweeters in window pillars, speakers in rear with extra tweeters.

Harmon Kardon - Tweeters in pillars are marked Harmon Kardon.

Also what options do you have in your car as bluetooth, SAT radio, ipod integration are all very available with out doing a separate head unit.

In fact the only one i do not have is the OEM NAV and Sat Radio in my car. but the OEM SAT radio is a very easy install.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:53 AM
angmarceau
1st Gear
I have the Basic - speakers in doors and rear only. I can upgrade the speakers and stuff, but that won't solve my NAV and SAT issue.

Dealer quoted me $900 for the SAT install. After I was quoted that, I didn't even bother to ask what that NAV upgrade would be When I bought the car, my intent was to put in an aftermarket radio. Who would have thought it would be this difficult.

Oh well. Looks like I'm SOL until someone figures something out.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
One more quick question

Do you have a USB port just below the window switches?

OEM NAv will cost you about 2K in parts alone and as ov yet no one has actaully compteted and install. there are a couple of people working on it though.

SAT should not cost you any where near that much.

Parts should be less than $500 and install you can do youself or get one of the Sunshine MINI people to help you out with that.

Check with Morristown MINI in NJ they usually have the best price on this sort of thing. MINI part nubmer is 65129192274

If you have not already joined Sunshine MINIs group then you should, they are a great group of people. http://www.sunshineminis.org/

Programing is requried at the dealer to activate it, but should only cost in the range of $150 so that is only at most $750.00

Your Garmin NAV unit can be hard wired into the car so the wires are not showing any where and there are a nubmer of mounting options.

As for bluetooth and iPod functions they can be added (if you do not have a USB port) by using a Parrot MKi9200 and the addon UNIKA.

Here is what you need to do that. Again all the wiring can be hidden.

1. Parrot MKi9200 - Bluetooth Kit.
2. Parrot UNIKA - CAN Bus/K Bus adapter.

Instructions for the UNIKA can be found here http://www.parrot.com/uk/support/installationdiagrams

Just plug in the correct data for your car and it should come up with the proper install data sheet.

Here is one sales listing for each part so they should be available here in the USA. May not be teh lowest price available but available.

http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Pi09002.../dp/B002BF8MCA

http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-MKi9200.../dp/B001LF3X5C

I would come and hlep you but I live in Massachusetts and Florida is a little far to drive.

BTW most cars these days are not just easy replacements of radios. They are so integrated into the car it makes it difficult.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 AM
angmarceau
1st Gear
I do have the bluetooth and the AUX jack. I currently have my SAT external device plugged into the AUX & Lighter for power. And it hangs off of a bracket I bought that clicks onto the dash (no screws or anything were required).

I know I can get all the other stuff and probably spend about 800-1000 to get it all. I think i'm going to just hold off on everythign and see if anyone figures out how to mod it for an after-market radio. I don't want to spend a grand on something that I'm not going to be totally happy with and is only "getting me by". I'll wait until I can spend that money on something that I'm really going to be happy with. I saw someone else posted that they are going to do this on their 2009+ MC. So maybe I won't have to wait too long.

Thanks for all your advice and tips, it was really appreciated. And it stopped me from going somewhere that really didn't know what they were doing and prrobably would have totally messed up my car.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Samysonary
3rd Gear
Old 06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Kudos to schatzy62 for always being on NAM and constantly throwing out both helpful advice and TOP NOTCH information.