Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio What speakers to replace stock R55 (2009, stock system) with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 PM
isthar
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What speakers to replace stock R55 (2009, stock system) with?

So, I realize the info is in this forum somewhere, but hoping people can help me out beyond what search tells me:

Mini Clubman, 2009. No hifi or any other upgrade. I "think" that's "Boost" but I'm not sure?

I just want to replace speakers to improve audio quality/volume a bit, maybe get some bass, that's all.

Do threads about R56 speakers apply here? Anybody have thoughts on speakers considering the larger clubman interior volume?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:27 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
[quote=isthar;2931699]So, I realize the info is in this forum somewhere, but hoping people can help me out beyond what search tells me:

Originally Posted by isthar
Mini Clubman, 2009. No hifi or any other upgrade. I "think" that's "Boost" but I'm not sure?
All systems in the US are Boost it has to do with the head unit not the standard or HiFi.

I just want to replace speakers to improve audio quality/volume a bit, maybe get some bass, that's all.
R55 and R56 have the same speakers in them. The R57 changes to 6.5" round in the rear.

Do threads about R56 speakers apply here? Anybody have thoughts on speakers considering the larger clubman interior volume?
Please read the forums here, there are many many many recommendations here and we do not need another thread of this same thing. There are already to many.

And BTW all the other information I have given you in this post is also spread thru the forums many times.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:01 PM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I understand the general "this question has been asked a thousand times" response, I think the real problem is that this question has also been answered a thousand times with a thousand different answers.

I think it might be good to have a short summary....

There are generally 3 price ranges for "fixing" the Mini stereo.
$ 300 - $500 - some new speakers, good for most people
$1000 - $1500 - new speakers, maybe a sub, audiophile/musician range
>$1500 - total gut and replace, new wiring, etc. Overkill for most, important to others. Show/boom car setup.

The front speakers (there are 2 of them in each door), are 6.5 and 4.5 inches in diameter. In the non-hifi Mini, both of these speakers are driven with the same, full-range signal. There are 6x9 speakers in the rear and these speakers are driven with an audio signal that has less bass. You can "fix" this by rearranging the pins in socket down by the driver's left leg where you swap the front and rear audio signals. Search for "X9331" to learn all about this.

An example of replacement speakers in the first range is:
For the front, JL Audio Evolution, 4" TR400CXi & 6.5" TR650CXi.
For the rears, Polk db691.

For the mid-price, Image Dynamics, Infinity Reference and Focals generate a lot of positive discussion. You can also search for "Bass600" to read about a nice, small sub-woofer system that some people have used.

There are tons of other posts...here's an example by Robin Casady:
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
A common first move is to just swap the door speakers. You want something that will work well with the small amount of power the standard audio puts out. I have the HIFI, so my research on speakers wouldn't apply to you. There are threads here about what speakers people used with the standard audio. If you spend enough time wading through them, you should get an idea of what works.

Infinity Reference speakers are a common choice. I started with Infinity Kappas and they were too harsh for my ears. Some people like them. Bright, Neutral, and Warm are some terms that describe one aspect of how speakers sound. Bright sounds clear, but can be tiring to the ears over time. Neutral is ideal. Warm is, warm and fuzzy. Different people like different things. Home theater speakers are often on the bright side to make dialog clearer, and listening time is often limited to the length of a movie.

Polk and JL are said to be good speakers, and they may have some that work without an amp. Some of the higher-end speakers, such as Focal do much better with an amp.

Hardly anyone messes with the head unit in a MINI. It is tied into the onboard computer, so replacing it is not a good idea.

Adding an amp jumps you up in complexity, and you would probably want to consider a professional installer. In most cases, to do it right, you are looking at somewhere around $2-3K for a professional install with amp, speakers, and some other things like Dynamat and a sound processor to remove the odd filtering done by the MINI head unit.

The HIFI would have been a middle-ground option because the extra power would give you more speaker choices. However, after two years with upgraded speakers in the HIFI, I'm going with a new amp and better speakers.
He makes a good point about the Mini head unit. Pretty tough to replace.

He also points out that unless you install an amp, you'll need to consider speakers that can be effectively driven by the Mini head unit. There are some posts about ohms, efficiency and such. I can't give much guidance here, other than to say, efficiency matters.

This leaves you...without any clear direction, I know.

I'll probably just end up ordering some speakers online. They'll sound better than the stock speakers, I'm sure.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you get...

Old 12-11-2009, 05:41 PM
isthar
5th Gear
Thanks jgohike. It's always very tough with forums for 'common questions', while "the info is out there" is always the easy answer, I find that we'd have a KB not forums if we all just never allowed ourselves to talk again about a topic!
And while I'm on this topic, I think NAM should have a wiki too, for "conclusions" that arise from forum discussions.

I also wasn't 100% sure R55 and R56 were equiv in specs, since one of the stickies said R56...

Anyways, I appreciate your answer, it was spot-on what I was looking for. I don't think I want anything other than speakers, and there's just so many out there, it's good to have a model recommended.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:54 PM
isthar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jgohlke
While I understand the general "this question has been asked a thousand times
An example of replacement speakers in the first range is:
For the front, JL Audio Evolution, 4" TR400CXi & 6.5" TR650CXi.
Did you notice crutchfield warn that "Note: JL Audio describes this model as a 6-1/2" speaker. Most manufacturers designate this same frame size as a 6-3/4" speaker. For simplicity's sake we list it as a 6-3/4" speaker."
?

Old 12-11-2009, 06:06 PM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I have noticed that at the Crutchfield web site. In fact, they say it won't fit in the Mini. You can search for the model number in the forum and you'll find that people have installed them (with some minor hole enlarging, it's plastic and trims easily).

I liked them because they are pretty efficient speakers and the person that wrote about them (eurotrash) played "Crazy Train" by Ozzie...and said it sounded good.

I personally haven't listened to them, so I don't have any firsthand experience, but that's the problem with ordering these type of things over the internet.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The what speaker question is difficult because few of us have listened to many different brands and models. So, most tell you what they got and whether they like them. Also, speaker choice is subjective. Different people like different speakers. Most audio forums give the "go listen" answer to speaker questions. The only difference here is the technical requirements of the MINI audio system.

I think that the standard system needs 4 ohm speakers, but I'm not positive about that. Some have claimed that 2 ohm are fine because they are wired in series, but I don't know if that is true. You'll have to research that yourself if you want to use 2 ohm speakers.

Otherwise, look for speakers with a sensitivity above 92 db. The higher the better if you are not adding an amp. Crutchfield lists this info in the specs tab.

I'd look a Polk because I tend to prefer the less harsh slik tweeters. Infinity speakers were too bright for my ears. Some of that may have been influenced by the filtering in the HIFI amp.