Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Pulled the trigger... Headunit in Secret Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 PM
BostonR56S
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulled the trigger... Headunit in Secret Compartment

So, everyone kept telling me theres no need to add a new head unit, the stock head unit (non hi-fi) is just fine, and all you have to do is upgrade the speakers, add crossovers, amps, subs, and it'll sound as good as a different head unit.

Well... I've done the rear/front speaker swap, and changed out my front speakers, and, I was still unhappy, the sound was flat, non-dynamic, and the front speakers were still outputting too much bass. Yes, I played with the audio settings for fader/bass/treble... not much better.

I had been playing with the idea of using the secret compartment for my aftermarket head unit I had (Pioneer DEH-P6900UB). Direct USB input, aux input, as well as iPod hook up(meaning charges and reads menus/songs on head unit display). I had only the aux input for my stock stereo and I hate having cig. plugs (everything i have is hardwired like my V1 and garmin). So having direct inputs (especially the ipod) was another reason to push me to do it.

I won't go much into the install part, but if someone wants to do this and has questions, feel free to PM me. Anyways, the basics to it is, I removed the secret compartment (about 10 screws, really not too bad once you know where they are)... took me a little bit since I was searching around and studying the setup and tabs. Anyways, pulled the compartment out, then removed the inner storage bin via 2 tabs on their sides, test fitted the cage to my head unit, then came the wiring.

Wiring was the most time consuming part-- I wired power and accessories to the fuse via add-a-fuse and or in line fuse, ran usb and aux in wires down to the passenger footwell and comes out from the center stack by the passenger seat. And for speakers, i ran 4 sets of speaker wire from the secret compartment area down to the pass side footwell, behind the dash console (theres a gap it will fit right through), and back aroudn the driver footwell up over by the steering column, down to the 'speaker connector' location, sorry forget the X _ _ _ connector that is referred to in the other threads. pulled the connector apart, pulled out the speaker pins, and used the wire taps to connect the speaker wire to the existing wire. At first I pulled out the wrong pins as I realized I may have pulled the pins that relate to the stock head unit side... tested a speaker to them, and sure enough I was wrong. Not a big deal.

Next, the iPod adapter unit via IP-bus was connected, wired to power / ground again, (oh, and a screw to the body was used above the secret compartment, T30 torx screw, fit perfectly. Had to scope out a place to put the ipod adapter (about 4"x4"x2" metal box). Ended up tucking it behind the floor carpeting up behind the glove box area (not obstructing any footwell space / not noticiable) unless you have size 20 feet, so I'll let shaq know to watch out when he gets in. Fed the ipod connection wire to my glove box where the ipod is stored.

Tested all the connections and speakers, success!

Tucked the head unit back in (this was a bit tricky because of space back there and wires getting caught). after a few tries it went in nice and snug. Snapped all the pieces back in and all was set.

(of course there were a few problems that were encoutnered here and there edited out of the description to make it sound like it flowed smoothly =] )

This took 3 days, well, day 1, 3pm to 6pm, day 2, 3pm-5pm, day 3 1pm-4pm. so 8 hrs about of install, taking my time and making sure everything was real nice and done right so I dont have to go back and mess with wiring etc.

Today I was looking at the secret compartment and decided since I don't like having it open while driving to adjust music, I just took it off. 4 little plastic pins that connect the hinge that pop right out. I will find a better solution to this soon, but as of now I think this is better than keeping the compartment open. A longer term project may be to possible cut out an opening in the secret compartment via dremel and mold a plexiglass sheet in its place, or to fab something up to put over the hinges.

You can see what I mean better in the photos here:

Wiring and such...

Testing:

final setup (note hinges)

I did see a clip that was not attached to anything with a red light that was coming out of the tip sitting in the back of the secret compartment area... maybe thats the attachment to the optional Cd player? I didn't want to mess with it so i left it alone...

Since there was no wiring harness I did all the connections/soldering by hand.

My only qusetion is------- does anybody know if they make an antenna adapter for the R56 to a pioneer head unit??
I have one for my audi but I didn't want to take the whole center stack apart and get behind the speedo just to see if the antenna hook up was the same or not. Does anybody have a photo of the stock antenna hookup?

Impressions: The sound is SO much better than stock. I have infinity speakers in the front, nothing fancy, and stock 6x9's. The head unit filters treble to the front speakers and kicks the bass to the 6x9's. It really does kick now, sounds about the same as a 250w 8" sub (comparisons to my friends).. He got in my car (mind you hes heard my stock stereo a handful of times, and has heard my upgrade from stock to infinity speakers + fr/rear swap) and he could even notice a huge difference now after the head unit swap. Its not distorted bass either, whether it be rock, classic rock, alternative, techno, rap, I've tried/listened to them all, and the range is very good. Ontop of that, volume wise gets much louder without distortion. Once I hit about 85% vol on the stock radio (whether Cd/radio/ipod) there will start to be a bit of distortion. (not that I listen to music that loud, but when I am cruising on a summer day going 50-60mph with windows down, you cant hear the radio with all the wind noise, so this is where that will come in handy).

I plan on swapping the rears when I do my rear seat delete / dynamat with new 6x9's. However, my two 12" subs @500w rms each are itching to make it back into the MINI (it really does get addicting... after taking them out of the audi I told myself I would never put them in the MINI). Of course I wouldn't put both in, but one 12" possibly in a false floor or box on the side of the trunk.. (since I have RCA sub inputs already in the back of the headunit for my amp now... it makes it so easy... so tempting). We'll see how long I can resist.

Thanks for looking! Sorry it was so long.

Last edited by BostonR56S; 12-23-2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: changed contact (PM vs email)
Old 11-23-2009, 01:56 PM
memphiskane
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have actually been procrastinating to do this myself. Just to save some time what fuses did you use to power the unit?

I have taken everything apart yet to see if it fits but the antenna adapter should be the Metra 40-EU10. I already have it and from memory it looks like the correct connection.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM
BostonR56S
Banned
For the accessory wire, you can use either 29, 30, or 31 (15 amp)
and for power (batt) you can use either 22, 24 (30 amp)
Those are the ones I noted down from the "hot or not" thread, as I have a few things hardwired in my fuse now so just a few options incase one was used and I didn't want to run back and forth from the house.

As for the antenna, any details on where you got it? I'd like to pick one up too... thanks!

Good luck with the install

Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 AM
memphiskane
Neutral
I got it off of ebay for like 5-6 bucks. Just ran a quick search and found this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Metra-40-EU10-An...item53dabb7053

Old 11-24-2009, 10:17 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
Thanks! I'll give it a try. Lmk if you have any questions when you go to install yours

Old 12-12-2009, 07:46 PM
bmwproboi05
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BostonR56S
Thanks! I'll give it a try. Lmk if you have any questions when you go to install yours
my friend works at bb in the instal department. It's kinda a shoot an miss some will have it.