Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio My custom MINI subwoofer project

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:53 PM
kdfhuey
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My custom MINI subwoofer project

I had a bug up my butt and had to do this project. As everyone here probably knows the MINI has the worst stock system ever. So on my search went for a non intrusive way of adding a little bit more bass to the sound. I found nothing like I had hoped for. JL Audio used to have an ok stealth box but not for a 2009 and their new box was insane ($1,000!!!).

Anyhow I decided to build my own utilizing the tool space behind the seat. I built everything to include the box that encloses the speaker. This project was a blast and cost me under 50$ in materials and 300$ for the amp and subwoofer/wire. Here is the finished project.

Attached Thumbnails My custom MINI subwoofer project-_dsc1159.jpg   My custom MINI subwoofer project-_dsc1154.jpg   My custom MINI subwoofer project-_dsc1152.jpg  
Old 10-08-2009, 06:55 PM
boyeeshotrod
1st Gear
nice work, thats how i started in my mini with one 10, now no back seat and 4 12's

Old 10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
kdfhuey
Neutral
yeah I can see how it gets addicting!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:07 PM
bubblehelix
2nd Gear
Nice job, looks pro. How does it sound with the sub added in?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:11 PM
kdfhuey
Neutral
Sounds great.....amazing what an 8" subwoofer can do to the sound.

Really easy project and you cant beat the price.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good but doesn't it kill that storage space?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Samysonary
3rd Gear
Great job KDF. I noticed that unlike other installs, you actually have some depth from the boot opening to your false floor. Most other installs I have seen on NAM would have false floors that are flush with the boot opening, if that all makes sense. That could also be attributed to the other installs having a larger driver, like 10" or 12".

It is great that you are able to save a ton of space, and still get your thump on! Looks great. Can't wait for the speaker replacements!

Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM
kdfhuey
Neutral
Thanks

Thanks for the kudos. Yeah that storage space was negligible and only carried the jack and a pull ring. I have run flat tires and dont have a spare so honestly when am I going to use the jack and I just put the pull ring in my glove compartment so it worked out perfectly.

The aim for this project was to enhance the sound of the car's bleak stereo and not put a ton of bass in the car. This installation takes up very little space as compared to most of the other subwoofers that I have seen. Yeah its only an 8" woofer but it definitely provides the bass punch that I was looking for the price is unbeatable.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kdfhuey
Thanks for the kudos. Yeah that storage space was negligible and only carried the jack and a pull ring. I have run flat tires and dont have a spare so honestly when am I going to use the jack and I just put the pull ring in my glove compartment so it worked out perfectly.

The aim for this project was to enhance the sound of the car's bleak stereo and not put a ton of bass in the car. This installation takes up very little space as compared to most of the other subwoofers that I have seen. Yeah its only an 8" woofer but it definitely provides the bass punch that I was looking for the price is unbeatable.
LOVE the set up!
I was thinking of getting an 8'' too;
does it create more rattles in the car than the road/driving already does? (pesky annoying dash vibrations urgh! )

I really want at least a minimum amount of bass (a bit of umph!) since i come from a rinky dinky civic with two 12s and all you hear is the license plate and trunk rattle

Old 10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
kdfhuey
Neutral
The 8" is fine I think u might be able to fit a 10" in there but I don't think the space underneath the speaker is suitable because the box that I built underneath the speaker wouldn't be big enough and the woofer would be starved for air. Another reason I think an 8" is an appropriate size is that it doesn't produce the standard license plate rattle.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:43 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kdfhuey
The 8" is fine I think u might be able to fit a 10" in there but I don't think the space underneath the speaker is suitable because the box that I built underneath the speaker wouldn't be big enough and the woofer would be starved for air. Another reason I think an 8" is an appropriate size is that it doesn't produce the standard license plate rattle.
Yeah, good point. My main concern is rattling rather than space consumption.

Do you have the base system or the "hifi" upgrade?

Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 AM
kdfhuey
Neutral
I have every package on that car except the hi-fi which I sort of regret at this point. I don't understand on a JCW car how everything isn't standard but it isn't, and the stereo was the one thing I didn't get.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Straius
2nd Gear
I've heard the Hi-Fi system, it's got all of the same exact problems as the stock system. There are more speakers and it goes louder, but you don't gain any clarity or substantial quality improvements. It's really a waste of money.

You'd have a better sounding system if you spent $500 on replacement speakers for your doors alone.

I like your setup and props for building it yourself!

I'm figuring out what I want to do for a sub enclosure right now so you're post was great to read through and consider as another possible option.

Thanks for sharing

Old 10-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Straius
I've heard the Hi-Fi system, it's got all of the same exact problems as the stock system. There are more speakers and it goes louder, but you don't gain any clarity or substantial quality improvements. It's really a waste of money.

You'd have a better sounding system if you spent $500 on replacement speakers for your doors alone.
The advantage of the HIFI is that you don't need a sound processor like the CleanSweep when you add an after-market amp. Since the filtration is done at the HIFI amp in the rear, the X9331 connector has an unfiltered signal.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 PM
miniSQ
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
The advantage of the HIFI is that you don't need a sound processor like the CleanSweep when you add an after-market amp. Since the filtration is done at the HIFI amp in the rear, the X9331 connector has an unfiltered signal.
I thought both versions used the same HU?

I would love for someone to post a screenshot of the output signal of the boost HU as it goes into an RTA...similar to the shot that manville showed on the Cleansweep video.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miniSQ
I thought both versions used the same HU?
There is something different because the bass cutoff happens after the X9331 connector in the HIFI, and before the X9331 connector in the standard audio.

I would love for someone to post a screenshot of the output signal of the boost HU as it goes into an RTA...similar to the shot that manville showed on the Cleansweep video.
IIRC, both systems are called "boost". I'd like to see a screenshot of the signal at the X9331 connector of a HIFI system. It would be nice to know how unflat it is.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Straius
2nd Gear
If you have an iphone, using this app with an EQ while running pink noise through the speaker system will allow you to tune your own car to a flat frequency response.

http://app-store.appspot.com/?url=vi...39433%26mt%3D8

Pink Noise sounds like TV static because you're running all frequency ranges at the same dB. So if you burn a CD with a really long pink noise track, you have a source to playback the pink noise in your car.

If you wanted to balance the system yourself, you could run an EQ on the line and EQ the signal until you're getting a fairly even response on your RTA SPL Meter.

Every car interior will have different resonances based on it's speakers and internal structure so this is a more accessibly way to test that if you have an iPhone. Otherwise most handheld RTA meters cost a few hundred bucks, at which point, you might as well get the device that does a summing function across teh frequency range automatically.

Last edited by Straius; 10-12-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 PM
mrravioli3
1st Gear
Im in the process of putting mine together, but I dont know where to put my amp?
Wheres urs?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:57 PM
kdfhuey
Neutral
Yeah theres really no great place to put the amp I tried it under the passenger seat but it hitting the bar on the seat every time someone wanted to move the seat.....I wouldn up mounting it to the back of the seat in the back. It seems to take up the least amount of space there.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:25 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Do you have any pictures of the sub box encloser, amp, and placement of the amp? and is the false floor raised? (it does not look like it, which is how i like it);
My tool storage hole seems to small for even an 8 inch sub + box. Which sub / amp is that you are using?