Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Reverse Camera + stock navi

Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Powashiftin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse Camera + stock navi

Any successfully install a back up camera and use the stock navi screen?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
MINI actually has an OEM system. I installed it on my '06 cabrio, and it's great. The camera is very nicely integrated but expensive.

Look here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-i-did-it.html
http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/03/..._camera_review

The OEM interface is available here: http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=230
There are also aftermarket interfaces that may be cheaper.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:45 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Yep, I have it too. It's fantastic! Can't buy it here in the US though (thanks MINIUSA! ), you have to import it from overseas.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:47 AM
Powashiftin
2nd Gear
I meant to post this in the 2nd Gen forum! I'll repost! Thanks for the input

Old 05-29-2009, 06:47 AM
The-Only-One
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A cheaper solution:

You can get a third party video interface and connect it to the hardware located under the passenger seat. This way you'll have the option of 2 video inputs; in other words one for rear camera and one for Playstation, DVD player, TV tuner etc

Don't be fooled; these interfaces are not cheap! Some of them are not truly PnP either. So don't jump on the lowest cost items. Look for OEM style jacks

After adding that interface, you can put any camera on your ride. My favorite place so far is the upper part of the rear screen. It could be put right above the black flexing thing which carries all electrical connections to the tailgate. I would mount it there onto the rubber strip. When the tailgate is closed, make sure to rotate the cam downwards for parking space visibility.

By putting the camera high above and inside the car, you eliminate any weather effects on the camera + barely noticeable from outside too

The view was almost perfect. I tried it with a headrest LCD screen just for scientific purposes and the results were better than expected.

I forgot to take pics when I was trying to figure this out. Will try to take some when I'm visiting my friend's ICE install shop.

Just my 2 cents!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 AM
Powashiftin
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info! Which interface did you pick? Also do you have more info on the placement of the interface?

Old 05-30-2009, 07:11 AM
The-Only-One
2nd Gear
I'm going to buy this one if I have the necessary budget
http://www.tvandnav.com/index.asp?Pa...PROD&ProdID=42

There are also other cheaper solutions but my ICE installer had already tried some of these brands on other BMW's and was not satisfied at all. This one looks pretty good and is PnP.

You could put the i/f on top of the unit under the passenger seat. It's a verl small unit & shouldn't cause a problem at all.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 AM
ericscottf
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got the tvonnav box, and i like it for the most part.
I ultimately had to wire it into switched power so it wouldn't kill my battery (i found some on the nav unit itself).
It fits into the box that my mk4 nav unit comes in, so it is all nice and neat and out of the way.

It has two leads that will switch to input 2 when 12v is applied to them, so you can hook them up to the reverse light power.
I got a $90 licence plate camera and hooked that to it for reversing. Works great. There are many, I got one that needed the lowest light to work.

I took the other input and put it to a coax jack and stuck the jack in a blank switch spot next to the window switches, so it is all nice and clean. Got a pushbutton switch to toggle the inputs from screen to input 1 and mounted that in another blank window switch hole, and i put the aux audio jack in one of them too.
so i can plug in audio, video and press the switch to convert to TV, or just put the car in reverse to see behind me.

The only thing i didn't do that some people like is an override-to-reverse camera switch. I felt it was unnecessary to look out the back while being able to drive forwards.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Powashiftin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ericscottf
I've got the tvonnav box, and i like it for the most part.
I ultimately had to wire it into switched power so it wouldn't kill my battery (i found some on the nav unit itself).
It fits into the box that my mk4 nav unit comes in, so it is all nice and neat and out of the way.

It has two leads that will switch to input 2 when 12v is applied to them, so you can hook them up to the reverse light power.
I got a $90 licence plate camera and hooked that to it for reversing. Works great. There are many, I got one that needed the lowest light to work.

I took the other input and put it to a coax jack and stuck the jack in a blank switch spot next to the window switches, so it is all nice and clean. Got a pushbutton switch to toggle the inputs from screen to input 1 and mounted that in another blank window switch hole, and i put the aux audio jack in one of them too.
so i can plug in audio, video and press the switch to convert to TV, or just put the car in reverse to see behind me.

The only thing i didn't do that some people like is an override-to-reverse camera switch. I felt it was unnecessary to look out the back while being able to drive forwards.
Where did you get your unit from?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:03 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ericscottf
I have manual transmission and I find the switch useful when parallel parking in uphill direction. For parking purposes I can leave the transmission in first gear and use the clutch to let the car roll backwards without actually shifting into reverse (this allows more precise maneuvering when parallel parking into a tight space). So I'm rolling backwards without the transmission in reverse and I use the switch to activate the camera.

Otherwise the switch is just a cool gadget factor . I actually have it on the unused phone button on the steering wheel (the product that enables this is no longer available).

Old 06-12-2009, 01:30 AM
The-Only-One
2nd Gear
These guys also have a PnP box solution just like Navtool.
https://www.navtv.com/product/12/bmwv-.html

A question to Eric:
Why did you have to wire it into switched power? I would assume the unit would be PnP, ie no hassles in install. It's not a big issue anyway...

+ Could you show us your licence plate install? Is the cam a CMOS unit or a CCD? Does it work with just the reverse lights?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:22 AM
spanglmd
2nd Gear
If you need a backup camera to parallel park a Mini, sell it and buy a bike.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:20 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by spanglmd
Nobody said they need a backup camera. It's an enhancement like getting xenon headlights or upgrading the stereo. I consider the backup camera to be a bit of a luxury but it is really nice to have!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:35 AM
The-Only-One
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by spanglmd
Originally Posted by rkw
Nobody said they need a backup camera. It's an enhancement like getting xenon headlights or upgrading the stereo. I consider the backup camera to be a bit of a luxury but it is really nice to have!
You could populate a list of required's/good-to-have's/toys/ridiculous... It all comes down to personal preferences.

The rear camera and all other endless options you could have with a nav interface (PS2, carPC, TV, DVD etc) are for fun first.