Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio center stack reset?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 AM
jratlee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
center stack reset?

this morning my NAV, radio and AC controls...everything in the R56 center stack seemingly reset itself. all my custom SAT stations were gone, etc.

this happen to anyone at all? nothing else was different and the car had shut down normally the night before (as well as turning on fine this morning).

random but worried that it could be a sign of things to come.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you using the same key? Each one stores different settings and radio presets.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:16 AM
jratlee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Are you using the same key? Each one stores different settings and radio presets.
Yup. Absolutely nothing changed from when i turned the car off after getting home from work yesterday and turning it on when i got in it this morning. i keep the fob on me and hardly ever put it in the actual slot.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
jratlee
1st Gear
got in the car today after work and everything was back to normal. must've been a strange short this AM.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Lorne_K2
2nd Gear
Same thing with my BMWs...

Originally Posted by jratlee
this morning my NAV, radio and AC controls...everything in the R56 center stack seemingly reset itself. all my custom SAT stations were gone, etc.

this happen to anyone at all? nothing else was different and the car had shut down normally the night before (as well as turning on fine this morning).

random but worried that it could be a sign of things to come.
I don't have my Clubman (yet), but I can tell you that this happened to me with various 5-series BMWs I've owned over the years. It usually happened in the winter months, and I often chalked it up to static electricity, or perhaps a weird short in the electrical system. It never was a major problem - I just had to reset the clock, and reprogram in my radio stations.

Hope it's nothing more serious than that (although I understand your concern with a new car!).

Old 04-15-2008, 06:17 AM
jratlee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Lorne_K2
I don't have my Clubman (yet), but I can tell you that this happened to me with various 5-series BMWs I've owned over the years. It usually happened in the winter months, and I often chalked it up to static electricity, or perhaps a weird short in the electrical system. It never was a major problem - I just had to reset the clock, and reprogram in my radio stations.

Hope it's nothing more serious than that (although I understand your concern with a new car!).

do you think rubber floor mats would prevent it? it happened again yesterday evening when i got back in the car and hadn't re-set itself as of this morning. i'll see if it eventually puts all my presets back but if it doesn't or i re-set everything and it happens again, i think it merits a call to service.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Lorne_K2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jratlee
do you think rubber floor mats would prevent it? it happened again yesterday evening when i got back in the car and hadn't re-set itself as of this morning. i'll see if it eventually puts all my presets back but if it doesn't or i re-set everything and it happens again, i think it merits a call to service.
I'd definitely take it in for service. Hopefully they'll find something to fix!

In my case, they never did as the problem was intermittent. Something I learned to live with, but that was when I was younger and more patient... I'd want it fixed now!

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:53 AM
jupiterfish
2nd Gear
i had it happen to me this weekend in my new clubbie, after my wwife drove it with her key i put mine in on the way to work and all was reset

Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since the data is stored in the fob, it would have to be read in from the fob. So, I wonder if there was some communication error with the fob?

Perhaps a low battery in the fob?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:11 PM
jratlee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
haha, that might've been my problem all along. i realized this morning that was the case b/c i had left my usual key in my office and used the fob that's usually in my briefcase as a back-up. what happened the first time was probably the car using the back-up fob to start instead of the main one.

a big 'ol "duh."