Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Bluetooth compatibility list

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:56 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Everyone,
I took delivery of my 2008 MCS on 7/16/2008 and was concerned about compatability of my LG VX5400 w/ Verizon service. I followed the instructions for linking the car's Bluetooth & phone and found it works great! My contacts list is available and dials through the radio, although I don't use the Voice Commands so I don't know if that would work.

I also moved the microphone for the Bluetooth to the driver's side of the car. I found the information about that in a forum here on this site. Thanks everyone for all the great information on this site!!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:18 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClaymoreOne
Good luck and have a ball with your new toy Tedswoods.
Thanks Claymore! Had a great drive home today. Treo paired with MINI. I picked the car up at the end of the day. MA went through the car with me; I think I need a little practice making the calls. Incoming call went very smoothly. If Treo and MINI stay happy together, I'll be happy.

Actually, I was pretty darn happy just driving the MINI. I don't need no stinking phone to be happy...bring on the 'twisties'!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gregsmini
Hi Everyone,
I took delivery of my 2008 MCS on 7/16/2008 and was concerned about compatability of my LG VX5400 w/ Verizon service. I followed the instructions for linking the car's Bluetooth & phone and found it works great! My contacts list is available and dials through the radio, although I don't use the Voice Commands so I don't know if that would work.
Great news! This is one I hadn't seen before, thanks gregsmini!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:44 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThommyG
NicknBecka - The good new first. I had not upgraded the i760 to WM6.1 upgrade. After doing so I was able to pair with my 09 JCW. Calls and voice command dialing worked.
Nice!

It the less good category: Because the WM6.1 upgrade wiped my link to the company exchange server I had to reinput that. Again I "repaired" My contacts database is huge (1900+) and the car 'gagged' on it, i.e., when I try to look at the phone's directory it tries for a bit but then just returns to the main phone menu. I spoke with BMW (the number in the radio/phone) and the person there indicated there is a limit of numbers that the car can inport probably about 1000. She thought if the import was working properly the first 1000 numbers from my handset should have been imported... so she doesn't believe its properly linking.
Well, a little closer anyways. Not all phones seem to have the 1000 contact limit (the Blackberry 8700c's are supposedly fixed by a firmware upgrade, according to MINI's PDF notes) but it's mentioned for a few of the other smartphones. Your's is the first I've seen for a Windows Media phone, so it may be an issue with all of them?

Also according to MINI's PDFs in some phones it just lists the first thousand or so, in others it makes for problems with the Bluetooth connection.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:04 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
My Alltel HTC Touch phone works perfect!! Everything linked up correctly!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:13 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Thanks tinker_06!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Bang & Olufsen Serene works perfect, what a amazing phone!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:27 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
Bluetooth compatible +++++

Does anyone here use a cell phone GPS navigation system & weather radar in their MINI? (compatible that is). I was thinking about buying a GPS system but I like the radar satelite weather maps a cell phone offers. I was wondering just how reliable the weather radar (data plan) is. The GPS would just be an added benefit for me. But how reliable/good is the GPS system also? Especially when you are out of your local area? Or would you have to "plug" in your area first? Any suggestions? Not using a GPS (Garmin type) system, but just a cell phone. NJP

Old 09-04-2008, 08:21 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
Bang & Olufsen Serene works perfect, what a amazing phone!
Thanks Cybergypsy! Did you test the address book and voice functions too?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 AM
tedswoods
5th Gear
SO FAR (almost a week), the Treo 700p with the updated software has worked well! I started with just a few names in the address book and they loaded a bit slowly when it was first paired. Since then, I've added a few more names to the address book, and they loaded right into the MINI. Preformance-wise, "callees" tell me it sounds great, even with the windows down. I have not moved the mic yet.

Fingers crossed that it continues this way!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:13 AM
HornBlowR
2nd Gear
SPH-A900

An update on bluetooth workability of the Samsung SPH-A900. The MINI will retain the pairing info as long as you keep the phone on. I turned the car on and off several times and the pairing was still there. However, when I turned the phone off and on, I lost the pairing. So, if you are the type of person who never turns off their phone, you should be good to go. Voice dialing works and it reads the phonebook off the phone.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
Thanks Cybergypsy! Did you test the address book and voice functions too?
Yep works 100% make sure you authorize it in blue tooth or you will have to accept each time you enter the car

Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 PM
moclubman
2nd Gear
Goodbye LG Venus, hello Moto W755

Well,

I was annoyed enough that my address book did not sync and that I could not make voice tags that I upgraded my phone to the Moto W755. I have had flip phones before and this one seems nice enough.

Now, my phone fully integrates, including address book and the ability to dial by name through the car via bluetooth. It also has an external bluetooth button, which is nice. I have only had it a day, but all looks good so far.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:02 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HornBlowR
An update on bluetooth workability of the Samsung SPH-A900.
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
Yep works 100%
Originally Posted by moclubman
... I upgraded my phone to the Moto W755. ... Now, my phone fully integrates, including address book and the ability to dial by name through the car via bluetooth. It also has an external bluetooth button, which is nice.
Thanks everybody!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:54 PM
kellypgh
3rd Gear
I noticed on your spreadsheet that the Motorola Q9C is good across the board. When I did a search through the different threads, I couldn't find anything specific.

I decided to switch to the Q9C (from the Voyager) based on this information but I haven't gotten my car yet and won't until mid October. I only have 30 days to switch phones through Verizon so I was hoping I could get confirmation from anyone as to whether I should be in good shape with this phone as far as full features working with BT.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:13 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kellypgh
I noticed on your spreadsheet that the Motorola Q9C is good across the board. When I did a search through the different threads, I couldn't find anything specific.
Ah- the least documented bit of the spreadsheet Any cell that has a small orange square in the upper right hand corner has a comment attached that includes at least one URL to post somewhere (usually NAM).

If you hover over the cell it will show the URL- it can be a bit tricky to grab it, but you can copy & paste the URL into a browser to get to the linked post. For the Q9C it's here.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
I'd like to reconfirm that the Verizon Motorola W385 works quite excellently, I must say. My MA synched it for me and after he made a test call to the dealership, I was able to use all the features including the phone book and voice recognition. Up until now I've only had a cell phone as an emergency option along with my jumper cables and air pump. Now I might actually use the silly thing.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Chris Chappell
3rd Gear
Not sure if it's already been mentioned but my iphone syncs up very well. Bluetooth, address book, etc. Incidentally, a new Belkin converter (lighter plug-in) allows for the ipod within the iphone to work very well. Drove across country recently and it worked great.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:25 AM
CrazyMINI
Neutral
ENV2 compatible with 2008 MINI 08?

I just purchased my first MINI and I am enjoying every moment in the car! BUT I want to get a phone that is really compatible with the bluetooth!! I am looking into getting the LG ENV2 for Verizon.....anybody have experience with it??? OR can you you reccomened a Verizon phone that is fully compatible with the bluetooth! Any help would be great!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:48 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyMINI
I just purchased my first MINI and I am enjoying every moment in the car! BUT I want to get a phone that is really compatible with the bluetooth!! I am looking into getting the LG ENV2 for Verizon.....anybody have experience with it??? OR can you you reccomened a Verizon phone that is fully compatible with the bluetooth! Any help would be great!
Sorry but all the LG phones are a problem with the MINI unless you find a two year old one with old firmware an do not update the firmware.

The LG enV2 and Voyager that are listed on the MINI website as being compatible have version V03 firmware and LG has updated the firmware at least 3 times, V05, V07 and V10 all of which virtually eliminate the use of blue tooth in the mini.

If you wan to get a phone that is compatible stick with one that is on the list at the we address. This is the most up to date list compiled buy nicknbecka from reports here on NAM.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...HjCm-AfA&hl=en

Old 09-16-2008, 04:48 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Did you click on the left hyperlink in nicknbecka's signature line? If not, please do and take a look at the incredible spreadsheet...as well as the explanations in the thread just two before yours. Then, if you have some specific questions - ask away.

P.S. I see schatzy and I were posting at the same time. Guess, for once, I'm glad to have held on to my old Verizon LG 5300 as it works perfectly.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 AM
CrazyMINI
Neutral
Thanks!!! I guess I will stear away from the ENV2. Any suggestions on Verizon phones that you guys enjoy? I am a big fan of samsung phones, but open to suggestions.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
If you're looking more toward the smartphone end of things, the Blackberries all work well, but if you're not wanting the data plan they're bad news with Verizon, where it's required.

It might be easier to come up with a list of phones you like using the phone search tool on the Verizon Wireless website and then check them for compatibility.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyMINI
Thanks!!! I guess I will stear away from the ENV2. Any suggestions on Verizon phones that you guys enjoy? I am a big fan of samsung phones, but open to suggestions.
Blackberry Curve for Verizon is excellent. Pearl is excellent as well if you're into smartphones with a data contract. And don't sweat updating the firmware on most phones either. 9 times out of 10 it does nothing for you at all unless you want some oddball language support, etc. For my BB Pearl there have been countless "upgrades" over the 2 years and only 2 actually offered a new feature (bigger card support and html support). There's a rule on the BB forum: if it ain't broke don't try and fix it with firmware, and know what you're installing before you install it.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:31 AM
CrazyMINI
Neutral
Any good phones that are not blackberries? I want the Curve, but not sure if I can swing the extra money for the blackberry service right now. I am kind of seeing the new Moto phones are ok?

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Bluetooth compatibility list