Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iPod and Sirius integration

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:31 AM
lostin_boston_r56
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod and Sirius integration

hi folks- this is my first post here. I've just purchased a beautiful '07 r56 hatchback. I didn't worry much about audio at the dealer- the salesman quoted some ridiculous prices for Sirius and an iPod link, but I figured I'd just go aftermarket. I'd spent maybe $450 on my Ford Ranger to install a new Alpine with integrated Sirius and iPod.
Well, you know the rest of the story. BMW has partnered with Sirius to make it ridiculously expensive to install in the Mini. They've designed the center console and head unit so that you can read the speedo from half a mile behind the car, but you can't swap out the radio.
Here's a few basic points:

I've spent a lot on a car that already has a Sirius antenna, steering wheel remote, and wiring for a CD-changer that ought to be able to work with iPod.

I don't want to clutter it with lots of little boxes- gps, iPod, Sirius tuner - and I don't want someone looking in my window to see a bonanza of expensive stuff just sitting there for the taking.

Most of the feedback on the web suggests that, even if I spent $1500 at the dealer for the factory installs, the sirius and iPod integration lag behind the standard set by aftermarket devices.

Any ideas? Is there a way to rip out the center console and put a normal stereo in there? Does anyone make a clean, secure mounting system for the dash? Has anyone managed to tap into the factory antenna for an aftermarket Sirius or XM install?

I look forward to your comments! Thanks!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:51 PM
poyzin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sirius is a mixed bag. I had it installed by the dealer for $540 (10% off) + 2 hours labor at $110/hour. You get 1 year subscription with the dealer install. I love that it is "built in" but compared to other Sirius units, it is rather limited. No replay, "jumps", memory sets, favorite teams, etc. The headunit only displays 2 of the three lines of data at a time (1. station, 2. song & 3. artist). The unit does a pretty good job of decoding the audio stream. The built-in antenna lead is available under the carpet under the passenger seat. There is an adapter (on eBay I think) that allows you to use it with XM or other units but you can't use the fiber to the headunit except with the BMW/MINI unit. All in all, I'm happy with the built-in but acknowledge it's limitations.

As far as replacing the whole system . . . I saw one post where someone just added it to the "secret compartment". Replacing the actual headunit in the R56 is really pretty much impossible. It's integrated with the speedo and would screw up any software upgrades needed in the future.

My solution: Play your iPod through the Aux in using an iPod dock to mini plug cable, pony up for the factory Sirius if you want that and forget the CD Changer. Your iPod will hold more songs. With the money you save, upgrade the front speakers. There are a lot of threads about that in this forum.

poyzin