Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Bluetooth Reception

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth Reception

Does anyone know where the Bluetooth receiver antenna is in the R56

When using the Bluetooth, conversations can seem garbled as if there is some interference. Perhaps holding the phone closer to the receiver would alleviate this problem, but for the life of me, I don't know where to hold the phone.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Many of us have noticed better communication after moving the microphone from the right side of the headliner (British driver side) to the left side.

There are other posts that tell you how to move it. You can pull the plastic unit off and see which side they installed the microphone on.

I moved mine over and noticed clearer speech. Seemed most noticeable for people on the other end of the phone. Callers said it was much easier to hear and understand me.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Nah, I've already moved the mic from the right side to the left, which helped people hear me better, but I'm talking about actual interference with the bluetooth connection.

I may have the dealer examine it when I have some other issues addressed.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:26 AM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
wolfshiem. the only person that I personally know who would know where it is (bad grammar I know, it's 5:25 am, sorry, lol) would be a96bimmerm3 (josh). I have to call him in the morning anyway, I will ask him, and post back if you like.

edit: I called mikey the mini, over at new mini stuff, a bud of mine. asked him. he said when he did a mod on a car, it was on the right hand side, where the DSC computer is. it was about 5 inches long, and 3-4 inches wide. It could be different on a US spec car. So I'll ask Josh in a bit for ya man.

Last edited by enjoyingsilence; 01-15-2008 at 02:33 AM. Reason: update on OP's original request.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd bet all your money your Bluetooth "problems" have nothing to do with the Bluetooth reception. I park under my house (house is on stilts), I can go up to the first floor, and walk around most of the 1st floor with the car ignition on, and the phone on my belt and if the phone rings, it rings in the MINI because the BT is still connected....

Most gargled BT quality have to do with the BT software on one of the sides (phone or in this case car). Since we know the cars BT is ok, it is probably yur phone. Make sure you have the latest software on your phone (if it's upgradable, like a smartphone or PPC).

But just for kicks, here is where the BT antenna is on the R56 (just behind the stick on the center console) where the "W18" is.

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth Reception-bluetooth-ant-location.jpg  
Old 01-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Thanks enjoyingthesilence and Birdman! It quite possibly could be my iPhone that is causing the problem. I have noticed that when I place my phone in the concave area just below the handbrake handle, the quality is improved--which now makes sense given the location of the BT antenna.

I had the latest 1.1.2 version, but I'll have to see if 1.1.3 is any better.

Last edited by Wolfshiem; 01-15-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
wolf: anytime, please let us know your result with 1.1.3. I did that upgrade, but don't use the bluetooth functionality in my car, to be honest. lol

Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfshiem
Thanks enjoyingthesilence and Birdman! It quite possibly could be my iPhone that is causing the problem. I have noticed that when I place my phone in the concave area just below the handbrake handle, the quality is improved--which now makes sense given the location of the BT antenna.

I had the latest 1.1.2 version, but I'll have to see if 1.1.3 is any better.
My iphone has started cutting out in a regular pattern. I.E. every 5 seconds the audio drops out when used with the MINI BT. I have assumed that it is my phone because it fell out of its case a while back (don't buy the belkin slip case), but is this similar to the problem that you are having?

Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
I updated my iPhone to 1.1.3 yesterday and it seemed to help. Just as COOP310 described, the audio is garbled sporadically. Keeping the phone in the concave area below the brake handle (and seemingly directly above the BT antenna) is probably the best way to go if the problem rests with the iPhone. For now, that seems to alleviate the problem well enough for me.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:28 PM
dchautin
3rd Gear
how do i get my blue tooth phone to work in my car...i know, dumb question, but hey..i have no idea

Old 01-17-2008, 06:28 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dchautin
how do i get my blue tooth phone to work in my car...i know, dumb question, but hey..i have no idea
I am assuming that you specced the Bluetooth option with your car.

You pair your phone with the car through a function of the stereo. I don't remember the process exactly, but you can find details on pairing your phone in the owners manual. After that it just kinda works!

Old 01-18-2008, 03:05 AM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Since I've updated the phone, I've noticed complete signal drops from at&t.. As previously stated, I don't use the bluetooth feature, it's the most useless thing in the world, imo.. I see it's appeal to others ,however. I don't use the phone much, more text and email than anything.

With that said, has anyone else noticed this?

Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 AM
stealth
1st Gear
FWIW I'm in SoCal and AT&T have been cancelling all their roaming agreements with T-Mobile which allowed AT&T phones to use the T-Mobile network. I now have zero service at my house and have noticed a major decrease in service all over the SoCal region since this started. It's possible AT&T downloaded a new IRDB (roaming database) and you're now strictly tried to the AT&T network.

Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence
Since I've updated the phone, I've noticed complete signal drops from at&t.. As previously stated, I don't use the bluetooth feature, it's the most useless thing in the world, imo.. I see it's appeal to others ,however. I don't use the phone much, more text and email than anything.

With that said, has anyone else noticed this?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wolfshiem
I updated my iPhone to 1.1.3 yesterday and it seemed to help. Just as COOP310 described, the audio is garbled sporadically. Keeping the phone in the concave area below the brake handle (and seemingly directly above the BT antenna) is probably the best way to go if the problem rests with the iPhone. For now, that seems to alleviate the problem well enough for me.
I found this note on wireless4mini.com:

the hands free audio may intermittently drop out caused by the WiFi® of the handset. This is considered normal operation for Bluetooth 1.1 hardware. To avoid the audio drops, the WiFi function of the handset needs to be deactivated.

So apparently, the dropouts are "normal operation" of the bluetooth spec, not an issue with the phone or the car.

Work is giving me a Motorola v325i (yes, I unfortunately have to carry 2 phones) and I will let everyone know how that one works with the car. It is on the approved list as well.

Last edited by COOP310; 01-22-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 AM
pdoyle
2nd Gear
Anybody know where the Bluetooth audio goes into the speaker system? Since upgrading the audio in my R56 the bluetooth voice is BOOMING! I would like to add a pot in there to cutback the volume.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pdoyle
Anybody know where the Bluetooth audio goes into the speaker system? Since upgrading the audio in my R56 the bluetooth voice is BOOMING! I would like to add a pot in there to cutback the volume.
Normally you adjust the volume control while on a phone call to set the bluetooth volume. If your audio upgrade left the stock volume control, this should still work.