Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Anyone Figure Out How to Retrofit The New USB?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
I'm certain the part will do nothing. USB and BT both require hardware and software to operate. The two functions may very well have been integrated through a chipset or module from the parts supplier. If they were completely independent, it would have been to MINI's advantage to offer them as separate options.
I agree with you that the functionality is probably on the BT chipset and that is why they are not available as seperate options.

I already have the factory BT module installed, but the 07s did not offer USB in the USA, even though they did in the rest of the world for that MY. My theory of replacing the switch is based on my belief that I can't see MINI going through the expense and added manufacturing complexity when the same thing could be accomplished by simply leaving the switch out and/or disabling it in the SW.

The connection on the back of both the Aux only and Aux+USB "switch" appears to be the same, so it would be a direct replacement using the existing wiring. My theory is that the electronics and software are all present in the BT module and the "switch" is just missing because MINI didn't get FCC approval in time for the 07 launch.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 PM
DyeLooper
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for it, buy it, let us know what happens!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by COOP310
The connection on the back of both the Aux only and Aux+USB "switch" appears to be the same, so it would be a direct replacement using the existing wiring.
Something to check is how many pins are occupied in that connector (# of wires in the harness). If only 3, they are for the aux only and your harness doesn't include wires for USB.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:35 PM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by COOP310
My theory of replacing the switch is based on my belief that I can't see MINI going through the expense and added manufacturing complexity when the same thing could be accomplished by simply leaving the switch out and/or disabling it in the SW.
I thought the same thing about the passenger's side key switch for deactivating the airbag. Still haven't found out where to plug it in. Anyone want to buy my switch and give it a try for themselves, brand new, never been used.....?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Karthi
2nd Gear
http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=403

Does this qualify as an option? Just saw this while browsing around their site ... or perhaps it just works on Euro MINIs ... ?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 AM
goosefraba
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Karthi
http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=403

Does this qualify as an option? Just saw this while browsing around their site ... or perhaps it just works on Euro MINIs ... ?
This appears to be a FM modulator...

Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Something to check is how many pins are occupied in that connector (# of wires in the harness). If only 3, they are for the aux only and your harness doesn't include wires for USB.
I can't confirm that the AUX connector has only three wires, but I added the rear fog toggle (see here) this week and when I pulled the AUX box, it seems to me that there were only three wires going to the AUX connector. For reference, I have a late October 2007 build and the BT option (no USB). If that's the case, my guess is that rkw is right and the AUX box cannot simply be swapped with a USB/AUX box--though, it would be nice if it could be swapped.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Kenau78
1st Gear
Also looking to add USB

I have 08 with stock radio and aux plug. Took delivery last month and using the aux plug for my MP3 player but would like use MFSW for more that just volume. If the radio is prewired for the USB plug it shouldn't be to hard. Does any one know how to order the USB/AUX plug?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kenau78
I have 08 with stock radio and aux plug. Took delivery last month and using the aux plug for my MP3 player but would like use MFSW for more that just volume. If the radio is prewired for the USB plug it shouldn't be to hard. Does any one know how to order the USB/AUX plug?

Thanks
You can order it from Pelican Parts (or probably any BMW/MINI dealer). The part number is: 61319129651.

I'd be interested to do this if I knew it would work, but since I just retro-fitted the rear fog lights, I'm a little tired. If you undertake this project, please let us know your experience.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Kenau78
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Wolfshiem
You can order it from Pelican Parts (or probably any BMW/MINI dealer). The part number is: 61319129651.

I'd be interested to do this if I knew it would work, but since I just retro-fitted the rear fog lights, I'm a little tired. If you undertake this project, please let us know your experience.
Thanks for the info. For the price it sure looks like worth a try. I will report back on sucess or failure.

08MC, Dealer Stock, O2Blue, 6spd manual, Cold Weather Package

Old 02-14-2008, 11:00 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
I don't have BT but i'm gonna put one in...figure why the hell not. I just did the rear fog light toggle add and have a leftover screw, so I have to take everything back apart to figure out where it goes anyways lol. Worth a shot while I have everything back apart again. I'm contemplating playing dumb and going to the dealer saying my USB port isn't working but it was there when I got it lol...any input for that tactic

Old 02-14-2008, 11:34 AM
jw34
6th Gear
It would be interesting to see how much the coding would be (if necessary) for the USB.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wolfshiem
+1

Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
If the plug is the same, I can't see them having two completely different head units for the USB or non USB cars...it just doesn't make economic sense...but having it reprogrammed for it to work, that might be the expensive part. I need to have the rear fogs programmed anyways. So maybe i'll save some by having both done at once?

I e-mailed Jayson at Classic Mini and am ordering it from him. I'll do the install and let you guys know what I find out. I called my dealer and they said they would look into it if I just need a reprogram to make the USB port work. So we'll see...

Last edited by ColinMc; 02-14-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Kenau78
1st Gear
USB part

I ordered the part today $39.75 + tax from the dealer. I should have it by Monday I will post results.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM
ColinMc
4th Gear
Kenau you'll beat me to it then! Lol. I won't have mine until the end of next week. 31.80 plus shipping for mine But it'll take longer to get than you :(

Last edited by ColinMc; 02-19-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Kenau78
1st Gear
Aux/USB Plug

I picked up the plug today at lunch. It requires two seperate cables, one that plugs into the AUX port and a seperate one that plugs into the USB port. Some how I don't think the USB cable is in the existing Radio wiring harness. I guess I will have to track down the part no. for the USB cable. I will post a picture of the part tonight when I get home.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kenau78
I picked up the plug today at lunch. It requires two seperate cables, one that plugs into the AUX port and a seperate one that plugs into the USB port. Some how I don't think the USB cable is in the existing Radio wiring harness. I guess I will have to track down the part no. for the USB cable. I will post a picture of the part tonight when I get home.
It makes sense that there are to plugs on the box. When I pulled mine out, it was connected by one set of wires, which came down from the stereo. Although the stereo might have another port for the USB, it might be that the USB cable will need to connect through the Bluetooth connector under the e-brake console, which would be the worst-case scenario. At any rate, you'll have to track down the cable...and when you do, let us know.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Kenau78
1st Gear
AUX/USB plug

I haven't found the part no for the cable yet. I hope it's not part of the BT. It has to connect to the radio in some fashion. Here a couple of pictures of the part.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone Figure Out How to Retrofit The New USB?-s7001654.jpg   Anyone Figure Out How to Retrofit The New USB?-s7001655.jpg  
Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is getting interesting

Old 02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Kenau78
1st Gear
Aux/USB retro fit

No luck tracking down the cables for the socket. Called the local dealer and they couldn't help. They can find the socket but unable to get part number on the cable. I found a USB Audio retrofit kit on BMW forum, Retrofit kit No. 65 41 0 443 678 USB/audio interface retrofit kit, but none of the websites or my dealer parts department show the part. If anybody has any ideas let me know. My local dealer is going to do some research and see if it is listed in any of their update bulletins.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:50 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
Ok cool, keep us updated. I was just about to post that my dealer is doing the same thing. Trying to track the cable down and figure things out for me. If I hear anything i'll update as well. There has got to be some way to do this!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Is the USB interface on the back of the box a standard interface type? Do you have a better photo?

Worst case scenario, you could find out what pins are for charging and connect it to power to charge your USB accessories. iPod, RAZR, etc. It may not be as cool as the full functionality, but still a neat mod!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Nui
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the USB pinouts are available on the net. If you can find the right wires making a harness - if you had to - is a snap.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Nui
All the USB pinouts are available on the net. If you can find the right wires making a harness - if you had to - is a snap.
Pin 1 is a +5V DC and pin 4 is the ground, but we would need to find out which pin is which, and if it is even a standard interface. I can't tell from the photo, but if it is the coax looking plug on the bottom, this probably wouldn't work either.

It it was standard and we knew which pin was which, all you would need is an add-a-circuit and a resistior to bring 12V down to 5. (and an old phone to test it on so you didn't blow up your nifty new one.)

I'm still looking for the full retrofit though.

Last edited by COOP310; 03-03-2008 at 07:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Anyone Figure Out How to Retrofit The New USB?