Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio CD-based Nav upgrade to DVD-based Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 PM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD-based Nav upgrade to DVD-based Nav?

the question has been asked before, and many say it is an easy plug and play with MKIV dvd based system from a mini or BMW. But, has anyone acutally done the nav computer swap???? If so please describe any problems. I am still unclear which BMW MKIV units are compatible and which ones are not. How new of an MKIV can be used? MY MC is 2002 would I have to change the radio HU also if I put in a MKIV? Sorry about all the questions, just trying to figure a solution.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:44 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good question ,but it would probably be veeeery expensive . I don't think the voice/audio outputs would be a problem.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:03 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you would have done a bit of research you would have found your answers but I will answer them for you.

The nav unit from MK3 to MK4 is a straight swap period. The harness is the same. The only real difference between the two units is what disks they can read and firmware. There is no need to swap the radio unless you live in Europe and then you can get TMC working with a VDO model radio (flat volume ****).

Bimmernav sells them...

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...roducts_id=123

Old 11-09-2007, 04:01 AM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
I have done research, here, Mini2, and x5 sites. However, I have yet to find someone who actually did the swap write a post. I am looking for clarity because if I buy a unit and it does not work I'm out at least about $500. From what I read, there are some mk4 units that work and some that do not, I want to make sure I get the right one. One post had model numbers but when searched through google Zero hits except the post that mentioned those numbers. MOST systems I believe work , but how can I differentiate a MOST unit from a nonMOST unit on ebay? If I install a BMW MKIV do I lose the Mini logo at start up??

Old 11-09-2007, 05:11 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Nope, I at MINI2 I don't know of any posts that state anything about certain model numbers. So, and of the two that I have helped people do they were straight swaps. I believe that both folks bought from Bimmernav so they could return them if they wanted. The only thing that might have to be done is coding it but that can be done with an Ibus interface and KiwiJochens program.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:09 PM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
I'm still going to research a little and consider all options (aftermarket, etc) but it seems like such a waste to have such a large screen just for the onborad computer screen, my nav is not working (just pops out the cd nav disc over and over, the disc is clean and in great shape, occasionally it will read it but then after a couple of startups it just ejects it)

Old 11-10-2007, 02:21 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chicagolab
I'm still going to research a little and consider all options (aftermarket, etc) but it seems like such a waste to have such a large screen just for the onborad computer screen, my nav is not working (just pops out the cd nav disc over and over, the disc is clean and in great shape, occasionally it will read it but then after a couple of startups it just ejects it)
MKIV is a great deal better than the MKIII. You could also do the Intravee if you don't have an Ipod solution yet which will put the MP3 text on the NAV screen. It works really well.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 AM
j8ymp
Neutral
Originally Posted by chicagolab
the question has been asked before, and many say it is an easy plug and play with MKIV dvd based system from a mini or BMW. But, has anyone acutally done the nav computer swap???? If so please describe any problems. I am still unclear which BMW MKIV units are compatible and which ones are not. How new of an MKIV can be used? MY MC is 2002 would I have to change the radio HU also if I put in a MKIV? Sorry about all the questions, just trying to figure a solution.
I too am wanting to do this. Have you swapped yours over yet and if so how did you get on?