Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio XM solutions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:05 AM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM solutions

I am a long time XM subscriber, so when I pick up my MINI next week, I plan on doing the aftermarket unit until the "merger". Anyway, could some of you who are using XM show some pictures of the the units and their mounting. I want to get something that could fit at the bottom of the front stack and would like to know what options are available. Also, those of you who "hardwired" their XM units, did you actually hardwire the power line or just add a hidden extra cig plug to plug the XM receiver into? If you hardwired, how did you do it? Thanks for any/all help.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:33 AM
SandiePepper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No pictures, used Blitz Safe and it's throught the radio

Old 10-02-2007, 07:04 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have an R56 but I have blitzsafe as well and it works really well through my head unit. You might give tom@eas.com a buzz and see if the system is compatible with the R56 because it is a nice elegant hardwire solution.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
Thread hijack!

So, what is the deal w/ the merger? Is it going to happen, and if/when it does, does anyone know if:
  • the lifetime SIRIUS subscription will be honored by the merged company?
  • you'll be able to get all of the XM channels on your SIRIUS enabled factory head unit?
I'm already thinking about getting 2/3rds of the audio package (HD+HiFi), but if I can get NHL games (currently on XM) that might be worth the extra moola to go for the whole package.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:27 PM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should have been more specific. I am talking about the R56 only-no blitzsafe solution now and probably never. I plan on plugging the audio into the aux in and want to know about how people are mounting the XM units. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:29 PM
wolf617
4th Gear
I'm using the Aux input with an XM Roady XT. I mounted the XM unit and a Garmin Nuvi 200 on a ProClip mount. I bought an adapter that has 2 cigarette lighter sockets and plugged that into the cig. lighter socket.

I ran an ebay-sourced SMB wire (actually 2 hooked together) to the sat. antenna under the passenger seat. You can search for another thread on this antenna hookup.

I ran the wire up next to the side of the seat and tucked it under the plastic of the console.

The sound quality is very good. At first I was disappointed with the volume level available through the stereo. I then realized that you can adjust the volume through the Roady. This was something that wasn't possible with the old SkyFi I have in my truck.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sportscaster

I installed a Sportscaster in the cubby ahead of the cup holders. Fits well, tied into the "shark fin" on the roof using SMB male by female cable on the EBAY tied into the connector under the passenger seat. Tied into the fuse box with a "add a circuit" fuse adaptor for power and an voltage converter from xmfanstore.com. Sorry photo isn't any better, will try to send more.

Attached Thumbnails XM solutions-s6300173.jpg  
Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I don't have a picture, but I use a roady XT and the aux port. It sits just nicely in the passenger cup holder angled toward me. I really wish blitzsafe would come up with an aftermarket solution.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by kukaepe
Fits well, tied into the "shark fin" on the roof using SMB male by female cable on the EBAY tied into the connector under the passenger seat.
So the Sirius antenna works for your XM? Very cool! Who did you buy the connector from on ebay?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Search eBay Motors for SMB connector cable, it'll come up I think. If you can't find it by searching, I'll dig up my records.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
DyeLooper
4th Gear
I installed a Sportscaster in the cubby ahead of the cup holders. Fits well, tied into the "shark fin" on the roof using SMB male by female cable on the EBAY tied into the connector under the passenger seat. Tied into the fuse box with a "add a circuit" fuse adaptor for power and an voltage converter from xmfanstore.com. Sorry photo isn't any better, will try to send more.
I just bought the add a circuit. Question, peeps say to put into fuse 21? Does this power on the unit when the accessories is on also? I'm assuming turns it off when the car is off?

Originally Posted by Paul
So the Sirius antenna works for your XM? Very cool! Who did you buy the connector from on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMB-m-to-SMB-f-e...ayphotohosting

Old 10-16-2007, 05:16 PM
tbonecopper
2nd Gear
Can someone post a picture, of their setup, where they have added an external radio, and tapped into the antenna wire under the passenger seat that routes to the shark fin antenna? I'd like to see how you've run the antenna extension cable...

I'm torn between tapping into the wire with a secondary radio, or just using the XM Radio app on my treo with the auxillary input.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:32 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Ditto that for me. I used two-sided tape and secured the unit to the underside of the stack. I used the mount for the Sportscaster by removing the suction cups. I also passed the aux plug thru one of the holes for the suction cups. Gave the unit a little more stability.
I have had it fall twice. Both were very hot days and the adhesive just gave up.
Still looking for a better way to secure it, but it sits very neat while attached. Solid sound, too.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:38 PM
<MINI>
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tbonecopper
Can someone post a picture, of their setup, where they have added an external radio, and tapped into the antenna wire under the passenger seat that routes to the shark fin antenna? I'd like to see how you've run the antenna extension cable...

I'm torn between tapping into the wire with a secondary radio, or just using the XM Radio app on my treo with the auxillary input.

I bought 2 SMB cables from the guy on Ebay for about $9 each. This will get you from under the seat to the stack area easily. One is a bit short. I plugged into the connector under the seat and ran the wire towards the center console, under the seat rail. From here, I ran it under the console by just pushing it under the edge. No dissassembly required. This will get you under the dash to continue to your location.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:56 PM
DyeLooper
4th Gear
Ditto to Above!