Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio What phone have you successfully paired with MINI Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:17 PM
pjo1966
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Yes, it pulls all my contacts (except my best friend... he never shows up...wierd)

I've tried voice dialing but simply cannot do it. It's finicky, hard and impossible.

I was talking to my friend about it and he said that his MA told him not to even waste his time, the voice dialing sucks.

Do ya'll use voice dialing? If so, how does it work?

Thanks,

Mark
Voice dialing works, but it's a pain to set up. For every number you want to be able to use voice dialing with, you need to program it first. It's been a while and I'm going from memory, but I think it goes something like this. After pressing the voice dial number:

"Save name"
Please say the name
"Joe Smith"
Please say the number
<speak the number slowly and clearly>
The number is repeated back
"Save name"

Then when you want to make a call:

Press Button
"dial name"
Please say the name.
"Joe Smith"
Would you like to dial Joe Smith?
"Yes"
Dialing number

I'm pretty sure that's it. It's a pain in the butt and only holds a limited number of names. Aftermarket Bluetooth and GPS units are a lot easier to use. No advance programming is necessary. I just got a Garmin Nuvi 370 and I like the Bluetooth interface much better on that.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:55 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pjo1966
Voice dialing works, but it's a pain to set up.

:snip:

I'm pretty sure that's it.
This is what I've been calling "manual only" in my spreadsheets. This is what is necessary if the phone and MINI aren't mutually compatible. A large number of phones don't need this: RAZRs and a large number of Motorollas, most current Sony Ericssons, probably every BlackBerry that can update to the current OS or is still available for sale, half of the reported LG's, etc...

Unfortunately, voice dialing is one of the least reported bits, so my list is largely blank.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:59 PM
pjo1966
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
This is what I've been calling "manual only" in my spreadsheets. This is what is necessary if the phone and MINI aren't mutually compatible. A large number of phones don't need this: RAZRs and a large number of Motorollas, most current Sony Ericssons, probably every BlackBerry that can update to the current OS or is still available for sale, half of the reported LG's, etc...

Unfortunately, voice dialing is one of the least reported bits, so my list is largely blank.
I have a Motorola KRZR (Verizon) and voice dialing did not work until I programmed it.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:26 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just out of curiousity, how come whenever I press the "phone" button on the steering wheel, it dials a random number on my phone.

It's not the last number dialed, it's not the most popular number dialed, it's just a random number out of my phonebook.

Am I missing something?

Mark

Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 PM
minim8o
4th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Just out of curiousity, how come whenever I press the "phone" button on the steering wheel, it dials a random number on my phone. It's not the last number dialed, it's not the most popular number dialed, it's just a random number out of my phonebook.
Pardon if I say... LOL! Whatever it is, it is pretty funny to the outside observer.

Hope you figure it out.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Des Graziato
2nd Gear
Blackberry Curve 8310 works perfect.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:59 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Blackjack II syncs without any issues.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:29 PM
brokah
Neutral
Cingular/ATT 8525 (aka HTC TYTN) no problems at all, works great.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
bpulley
2nd Gear
Sanyo Katana LX. Syncs phone book. No problems so far in two months. Have not tried voice commands.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:50 AM
SparklingMini
2nd Gear
Can someone tell me how to download my address book into mini's bluetooth system. I have not been successful. I have an LG Shine. I've successfully paired the phone but can't get any of my contacts into the system.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:18 AM
minim8o
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SparklingMini
Can someone tell me how to download my address book into mini's bluetooth system. I have not been successful. I have an LG Shine. I've successfully paired the phone but can't get any of my contacts into the system.
Not good news, but probably related to this posted by schatzy62 from an adjunct Bluetooth thread...
LG runs their own proprietary versions of bluetooth software that in many cases does not meet the bluetooth standard and does not work with many items such as headsets, car kits etc.
much more to read there before & after...https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...00#post2343000

Old 07-14-2008, 10:33 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SparklingMini
Yep, minim8o's post is pretty much right-on. Unfortunately there's not anything more you can do- once the phone is paired, if it's compatible the address book transfer happens automatically.

Verizon tends to limit the amount of bluetooth information available where they can, it seems it's an attempt to push customers toward paid-for services like their over-the-network voice dialing. I've heard that LG's Bluetooth implementation is a bit wonky before, but whether it's by design through Verizon's firmware or accidentally being broken...

There's been a comment that some phones need a call in the missed call or received call list before it will sync the address book sucessfully. This hasn't been confirmed, but I suspect it may be a factor when phones seem to take a long time to sync. It's unlikely, but it's worth a try making a call, receiving a call, and missing a call just to see.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:11 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
Yep, minim8o's post is pretty much right-on. Unfortunately there's not anything more you can do- once the phone is paired, if it's compatible the address book transfer happens automatically.

Verizon tends to limit the amount of bluetooth information available where they can, it seems it's an attempt to push customers toward paid-for services like their over-the-network voice dialing. I've heard that LG's Bluetooth implementation is a bit wonky before, but whether it's by design through Verizon's firmware or accidentally being broken...

There's been a comment that some phones need a call in the missed call or received call list before it will sync the address book sucessfully. This hasn't been confirmed, but I suspect it may be a factor when phones seem to take a long time to sync. It's unlikely, but it's worth a try making a call, receiving a call, and missing a call just to see.
Yes Verizon does limit some software and bluetooth functions but on the LG phones the manufacturer is the one limiting the bluetooth to OPP and not OBEX for the phone book.

see this post for more details:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=261

Old 07-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Altruego
1st Gear
I've got a LG enV VX9900 that pairs with my Mini but I can't access the phone book that is in the phone.
I've started adding frequently called numbers to the Mini phone book but it's a slow process. I won't be adding very many of these.
Anyone know if other phones can access the phone book on the phone?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Altruego
I've got a LG enV VX9900 that pairs with my Mini but I can't access the phone book that is in the phone.
I've started adding frequently called numbers to the Mini phone book but it's a slow process. I won't be adding very many of these.
You're referring to the voice dialing address book, right? The VX9900 is known to need voice tags setup for voice control. Check the 'Voice Dialing' column in my listing. A blank cell means the phone wasn't reported, 'Yes' means that phone was reported to work without creating your own voice tags, 'Manual Only' means each number needs a voice tag setup, and 'No' means voice dialing was reported not to work.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Altruego

I believe that there is also a limit of 20 names in the MINI voice dialing system.

The LG enV, LG env2 and LG Voyager will only work with a certain phone firmware version. In fact most LG phones will not work. Read all posts in this thread and you will get a good sence of why they do not work.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
My new Iphone 3G has synched with the bluetooth but I'm still trying to figure out how to use the damn thing . Must check the manual tonight.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
hfs3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bpulley
Sanyo Katana LX. Syncs phone book. No problems so far in two months. Have not tried voice commands.
Works just fine for me, along with voice commands.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hfs3
Works just fine for me, along with voice commands.
Thanks, added!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:54 PM
kellypgh
3rd Gear
verizon BB pearl 8130

Ordered my mini and got the bluetooth option and am looking to change phones. Obviously I want to make a good decision and I'm not interested in changing carriers.

Does anyone have info on whether the newest version of the Blackberry Pearl works well with BT? I definitely want a qwerty keyboard and need to stay with Verizon. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:13 PM
flaco
4th Gear
mot razr works just fine first time and forever

Old 08-05-2008, 09:34 PM
minicounter
4th Gear
So far I am staying with my LG Voyager. I really like the qwerty and full web access on an inexpensive data plan.

I considered changing to the xv6800 as I think it is probably more compatible per the spreadsheet information. I decided I didn't want to fight with Bill G to make a phone call - he causes me enough grief at the office

I also think that I really dont need to have all my contacts transfer to the car. It wasn't all that convenient to scroll through and use with my Razr anyway. I'll set up voice prompts for the dozen people I call most frequently and I can always dial with voice recognition by pressing one button on my phone.

Of course I may regret this decision when version 10 of the firmware comes out for the phone and I'm not able to connect at all

Just my 2 cents.

Then again I have 10 more days till the trial period is up so I might change my mind

Old 08-06-2008, 05:55 AM
kellypgh
3rd Gear
Minicounter,

I currently have the LG Voyager version 07 (and like it for the same reasons as you) but don't have my mini yet . From everything I've read, the newer software versions of the voyager don't work with BT. What version do you have and other than the contacts not transferring, is it working well for you?

I like the phone and would like to keep it but don't want problems with it after spending $$ on the BT option. I was thinking about giving the voyager to my daughter (she really wants it and is ready for a new phone anyway) and going with a blackberry for myself, but I won't if the newer versions of the Voyager work consistently with regard to solid connection and hands free.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kellypgh
Minicounter,

I currently have the LG Voyager version 07 (and like it for the same reasons as you) but don't have my mini yet . From everything I've read, the newer software versions of the voyager don't work with BT. What version do you have and other than the contacts not transferring, is it working well for you?

I like the phone and would like to keep it but don't want problems with it after spending $$ on the BT option. I was thinking about giving the voyager to my daughter (she really wants it and is ready for a new phone anyway) and going with a blackberry for myself, but I won't if the newer versions of the Voyager work consistently with regard to solid connection and hands free.
The latest firmware version I'm aware of is 07. I usually check here for news of firmware updates, they tend to show updates pretty quickly.

The 07 firmware on the LG phones has been broken for MINIs (see schatzy62's posts here and here) and has other issues too.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 AM
minicounter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kellypgh
Minicounter,

I have version 07 and except for the phone book transfer it works fine. I can dial out and receive calls. I have set up some voice dials and they work fine.

I am still looking at the BB Curve and Moto Q9c options in my last days to change mostly so I don't look like a kid with my phone open... but maybe I need all the help looking young I can get

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio What phone have you successfully paired with MINI Bluetooth?