Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio RDS Glitch on Nav? Related to non-working voice reco?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:05 AM
speck37
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDS Glitch on Nav? Related to non-working voice reco?

My new S with Nav is having problems with its RDS data. The RDS info is stuck on the information that was on it when I set the presets. For instance, when I set the radio to 101.1 it was playing Howard Jones. Now that station always says "Jones" rather than the name of the station or the current song. I've tried turning RDS on and off but it hasn't helped. Its happening like this on all of my stations, even when I delete the preset and start again. Anyone else experiencing this??? I also have the issue where my Voice Recognition doesn't work, so I'm wondering if its related and an overall sofware glitch.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Shadowgram
2nd Gear
I had a similar experience too. My station was stuck on "Pain" which happens to be part of the song title at the time of preset. I redid the station again few days later and the station name displayed properly. I think it's more like a problem with the RDS info from the station than problem with the car radio itself. Hope this helps

Old 05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
mcasteel
Neutral
I think the preset label is saved at the time you store the preset; for consistency, I have turned RDS off to set the preset on most stations, which saves the frequency in the label. Then I can turn RDS back on to see song titles and artists while playing the station.

Some stations I stored with RDS on; I think it's because all they ever display in RDS is their call letters. That works fine with the way the Mini is designed.
I don't know the RDS spec, like if it should be possible to receive call letters via RDS (or tell if you are not). So I don't know if the Mini system could have been better designed or not.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:36 PM
speck37
1st Gear
on my old r53 it used to scroll from the station name, to the song and back again. I don't think its a problem with the rds info from the station because its happening on all of my stations - they should scroll from station name to song title. I have a feeling its another software problem.