Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Subwoofer Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:46 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it depends on how high you have it cranked, whether or not you are talking about removing the styrofoam, how heavy your passengers are. ill try and get some measurements tonight.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:57 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charlie Croker

Can anyone tell me offhand about how much room is under the front passenger seat? I'm not totally familiar yet with this vehicle. Thanks!
Not enough. Roughly 16"x10"x5" at most. About a max of .3 cu/ft net

Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
I wasn't thinking about a sub there, but rather for an amp. Even that doesn't appear to quite be big enough for my JBL amp. Is that depth of 5" from the "hole" to the seat bottom? I think my component amp is like 17 x 11 x 2.5 or so.

This will be a challenge and might have to look at different amps. I was trying to use what I have from my previous Jeep install.

Anyone need a custom made fiberglass enclosure for a Jeep Wrangler that houses two downward firing 10" subs? Even has Jeep embossed on the top, that fits behind the rear seat.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:39 PM
PGT
Banned
that's under the seat. The space under the carpet is about half....no matter...your amp is too long to fit. I testfit a Polk C400.4 under there...check the specs on it...it fits.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
Actually, there is LOTS of room under the seat. NOT just what you can see, you have to remove the black plastic cover, and take out a big block of styrofoam, then you have a big space under the seat. You could fit just about any normal size amp under there. Many of the compact powered subwoofers als ofit unter there (like the Clarion, Kenwood....). Familiar stranger has the kenwood (I think?) installed there. I'm installing one as soon as I have time to do it and/or somebody posts exact measurements of that space so I can pick the largest powered woofter I can fit.

I've also been wondering about that side space in the boot. My passenger side has that small compartment in the side, with an empty space behind it. Seems like we could fit a small 6" or 8" woofer right into that space, no mod needed (other than cutting the hole a bit bigger). Anyone thing of doing that?

Old 08-28-2007, 08:58 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by Birdman
Actually, there is LOTS of room under the seat. NOT just what you can see, you have to remove the black plastic cover, and take out a big block of styrofoam, then you have a big space under the seat.
perhaps you missed my last post....

Originally Posted by PGT
that's under the seat. The space under the carpet is about half....no matter...your amp is too long to fit. I testfit a Polk C400.4 under there...check the specs on it...it fits.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
PGT,
I did see your post, and now see it a 2nd time, and still don't understand what your trying to say. "The space....is about half" huh? Half what?

Anywhoozle, the point is, there is a big space under the seat, not just what you see, but more under the plastic cover and styrofoam as you know.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 PM
PGT
Banned
half of the specs I gave. From sheetmetal to lowest contact point of the seat is 5 inches. The space below the carpet occupied by the styrofoam is half of that, or about 2.5 inches.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Gotcha. so the total space would be 7.5 inches of height from sheet metal to lowest contact point.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:59 PM
PGT
Banned
Old 08-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
No what?

Maybe we need to approach this differently, lets try this:

What is the TOTAL distance in inches, from the sheet metal under the passenger seat, with the black plastic cover and block of styrofoam removed, to the lowest point to the underside of the seat?

Last edited by Birdman; 08-29-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Bird,

I think he's saying that even with the styrofoam out, it's only 5 inches from metal to seat bottom. Correct me if I'm wrong PGT. Also that the space is half of the visable space under the seat.

I'm going to look into this tomorrow as I'm starting to plan. If I remove the rear seats, there will be plenty of room under the passenger seat.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 AM
PGT
Banned
dunno....I thought this was quite clear:

Originally Posted by PGT
From sheetmetal to lowest contact point of the seat is 5 inches.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
PGT,

The only thing I've learned about the internet, is no matter how clear something is, it will be confused by somebody.

I've ordered new amps and speakers. I'm going with JL Audio's 500/1 mono block for the subs, and 300/4 for the front stage only Focal K2p's. I've had these in my 02SS Camaro, and I've found nothing close to the sound.

I'm going to build a pair of custom fiberglass sub boxes that will fit in the rear corners and attempt to minimize the loss of hatch space. If I utilize the area up along the sides of the rear seats, I believe I can obtain around a 1' of space for each sub. THis should provide a bit of "bump"! I'm a rock and roller and I play in a Classic R & R band, so I know sound.

This install will be a challenge between SPL, SQ and stealth. I believe I can achieve all three, but will take some patience. Sound deadening will be the first thing thing on the agenda and pictures will follow!

Wish me luck!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Bird,

I'm a pretty big MF and I can make a fist up under the passenger seat. ~3-4 inches at best. Most amps will fit under there, however. Problem will be in length and width. It also depends upon preference of the owner of the vehicle as to whether they want to see any part of the amp.

In therory, as long as you're not stepping on the amp, it's not too long. I've looked at JL Audio's 1000/1 and others that are like 19 inches long. this would stick out under the seats. If you don't care, then go for it. Most amps will fit under the seats as far as height. MHO!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
A 19" amp??? How big are ya looking at? I'm thinking of 400 or 500 watt heaters, that are about 6" long, 4 or 5" wide and 2 or 3 inches thick. This is a MINI, so it's not like you need 2000 watts in there.

Also, Charlie, there is more space under the seat than what you can see and fit with your fist. There is a false floor that comes out and a black of styrofoam that can be removed to give you more space. ;-)

Old 09-02-2007, 10:06 AM
PGT
Banned
~3-4 inches at best.
+ 2 inches for the styrofoam under the seat = 5 inches Let's repeat.....5 inches

Old 09-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Guys, I'm not here to fight. I'm not putting in a 19" amp. I'm going with JL Audio's 500/1 which is 13.40 in. x 9.25 in. x 2.36 in. and their 300/4 which is: 13.40 in. x 9.25 in. x 2.36 in.p This will be bridged for 2 channels. (better for resale) Both of these should fit under the front seatsj, one under each. It will be a front stage only and will not incorporate the rears. There is no need for anything in the rear as I'm 6'3" and have the seat back as far as I can go. (Not a chance of anyone sitting behind me.)

You have to realize where I'm coming from. The audiophiles that I've been hanging out with are totally **** when it comes to installs. They are all into competition at the national level. I'm not that intense, but I don't want mediocre equipment in my ride regardless of the size of the car. THis is a very subjective arena. Each of us has a certain level of expectation, and I know from experience, that our tastes change. We tend to start out just wanting a "little better" sound, then after time, want more. This is where it becomes expensive...... upgrading.

I know what I want, and I will make it work. I'll take plenty of pictures along the way and am available to answer questions (if I can). Initially I was thinking of building two fiberglass sub enclosures, but I've re-evaluated my available time and will start out with just one in the rear driver's side cubby hole. You're right Birdman, this is only a Mini! What an understatement, but I hear you. I'm not sure, but I do believe that the hatchback design will be to our advantage as far as getting the bass up front. I only wish I could change out the head unit to one that has time correction. I don't feel like spending the time to recreate a new dash design in order to house a better HU. So, I'll have to live with the stock HU for now.

In the future, I may consider something in the "hidden compartment". This could easily be rebuilt for a HU. Time..................... I need time! Just don't have it!:(

PS: PGT, I like your wheels!

Last edited by Charlie Croker; 09-03-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:57 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I know what I want, and I will make it work. I'll take plenty of pictures along the way and am available to answer questions (if I can). Initially I was thinking of building two fiberglass sub enclosures, but I've re-evaluated my available time and will start out with just one in the rear driver's side cubby hole. You're right Birdman, this is only a Mini! What an understatement, but I hear you. I'm not sure, but I do believe that the hatchback design will be to our advantage as far as getting the bass up front. I only wish I could change out the head unit to one that has time correction. I don't feel like spending the time to recreate a new dash design in order to house a better HU. So, I'll have to live with the stock HU for now.
rockford 360.2

I'm having one installed tomorrow.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...en_US&p_status=

Last edited by MotorMouth; 09-03-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
rockford 360.2

I'm having one installed tomorrow.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...en_US&p_status=
I guess this would be the next logical step. Would you care to tell me/us more about this unit and it's advantages over the others? JLAudio makes a similar signal processor, I believe. Is it just for EQ and time correction? How does this work, before the amps or after.....etc

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
I guess this would be the next logical step. Would you care to tell me/us more about this unit and it's advantages over the others? JLAudio makes a similar signal processor, I believe. Is it just for EQ and time correction? How does this work, before the amps or after.....etc

Thanks!
I guess i'll chime in. Looking at the same unit, im an audio retailer out here in florida. I'm going to be scooping up a 360.2 also pretty soon. I like the unit, it allows you to do time correction and eqing, but even moreso you do all of your oem signal summing and auto equalization right from the unit. For someone experienced and has some basic (or not so basic) tools like a DMM, o-scope, a few other toys, you can make the unit sound pretty much like aftermarket. I should be trying mine out really soon. JL hasn't gotten rave reviews from dealers. You can download the RF software for the pc off their site and play around iwth it in demo mode, pretty powerful stuff

Have fun!
Josh

That being said I might be able to make a config file for people who want a decent baseline.. either way its a great piece but it needs to be played with a good bit.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
RF 360.2

Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
IYou can download the RF software for the pc off their site and play around iwth it in demo mode, pretty powerful stuff

.. either way its a great piece but it needs to be played with a good bit.
Yep, if you are considering it and have a palm or pocket pc download the software. You can play around and see all the functions.

Just got back from having mine installed and haven't had much time to play around with it. Did a little EQing, set up the crossover points, and added a delay to center the soundstage in front of me. I have LOTS of tweaking to do.
Not only that but I changed out my Boston Acoustics sub to a Rockford shallow mount 10" (part of the deal with the rockford rep I know). It recommends 50 hours of break in time!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 PM
nypepper
3rd Gear
i have a polk c400.4 installed under my driver seat
it fit with the carpet in place but i removed it for better cooling
the size is 2-1/2" H x 16" W x 9-3/4" D
it just fits, so anything 16" and smaller will fit

Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nypepper
How was the width aspect of the amp under the seat? The adjustments are on the side opposite the heat sink fins and could be difficult to get to, not to mention the actual wires to the amp.

Do you have that amp anchored to anything, or is it just sitting in there? I don't have a problem removing the seats to place the amp, I just don't want to have to remove it everytime I wanna tweak it!. I'm going to place the component amp under the passenger side and the bass amp under the drivers side as the sub will be in the rear drivers side cubby hole in the hatch.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nypepper
Hey Pepper, waving the hand!! I work in Babylon (well, actually deer park, in heartland industrial park near the golf course. Nice to see a "local" on here....

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Subwoofer Pictures