MTTS did anyone else break down?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:31 PM
second to none
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MTTS did anyone else break down?

I got the luxury of performing a show to the people in Miami Beach by push starting my car on thursday due to a shorted brake sensor switch, on the same circuit as the clutch switch, not letting me start up with the key. The local dealer didn't help me out, as i just crossed my 50k mark the day before on my way to Miami. I sit now in Georgia after bogging down on the highway. A quick purchase of a fuel rail pressure guage kit instantly indicated my lack of pressure from the fuel pump. So she is driving and asked me"why is your car doing this?" I thought it was in reference to a lean spot in my flash-tune. I took over only to feel my car starve for fuel over 10in. on the vacuum/boost guage. Luckily I was within 15 miles of my g/f's aunts house when it failed, where I was towed off the highway and await until tomorrow to purchase and install a fuel pump. I plan on getting to Boston next weekend. It sort of sucks having to be here telling this story, but it has been kind of fun the last couple of days.
Anyone else have a story to share?

Last edited by second to none; 06-15-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-15-2008, 06:02 PM
MINIATIC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love your spirit, don't let a little fuel pump get n your way to a fun event.. Good luck in your journey to Boston..If I bump into you, I'll buy yo a beer...
hap[y motoring!!

Old 06-16-2008, 01:48 PM
kelsey ellen
there was some guy who stalled out on the bank of the track in homestead... he ran outta gas or something...

Old 06-16-2008, 03:13 PM
second to none
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIATIC
I love your spirit, don't let a little fuel pump get n your way to a fun event.. Good luck in your journey to Boston..If I bump into you, I'll buy yo a beer...
hap[y motoring!!
Nice, after today, I technically have 365 days until my first legal one.
I was interviewing the shop foreman at Import BMW, a mini dealer in Atlanta, whom was very helpful in my prognosis. I bought the pump, and a filter. After installing the new filter, with the old pump, the car ran great (maybe even a little more power). I will be returning the new pump tomorrow so I wont be homeless in Boston for a weekend . So just the bad filter was enough of a birthday gift for me.
It's relieving to be back on track

Old 06-16-2008, 06:51 PM
MINIATIC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahha... we'll make it a soda then.. Hope we can meet in Boston.. Look for a Black-out MINI with Florida tags...I will probably be wearing some type of crazy hat... I am actually going to go to the breakfast in Jersey and arrive with the caravan to Boston... safe travels.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:28 PM
second to none
3rd Gear
Thanks. So you won't be at the meet&greet Friday night?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
I'll be waiting at the Gloucester Fisherman...y'all...

by the way folks

if you do the drive Saturday morning - up to Gloucester and around Cape Anne by way of Salem Village

you might see a BRG Cooper S, lowered, and sporting a yellow www.MINIPeabody.com decal on the windshield, and a few SCCA badges

that'll be me and my sweetie, looking forward to returning to Dorchester with the caravan and enjoying the festival

i'd love to meet some NAM'ers so please don't be shy! The car is named Gollum, I'm Charlie, and she's Di...

Old 06-20-2008, 05:16 AM
diablito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIATIC
hahha... we'll make it a soda then.. Hope we can meet in Boston.. Look for a Black-out MINI with Florida tags...I will probably be wearing some type of crazy hat... I am actually going to go to the breakfast in Jersey and arrive with the caravan to Boston... safe travels.

We missed you down here!!! Happy Motoring !!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
second to none
3rd Gear
I got a bad tank of gas and almost died in the middle of the four corners (thats the only thing on a map for about 60 miles in every direction) and it seemed like my car would shut off and come back on again after a few seconds. It worked well under full throttle, so thats how I kept going. In that process, my left rear fender arch blows off, and I was so torn bbetween getting it, or getting stuck in the middle of the desert (route 160) all for an $18 part (Actually cost around $34 out west, I know i got it for under $20 when I replaced it the first time last fall) . After filling up on some good chevron, and a bottle of fuel treatment, I had no other problems between grand canyon, and san diego. That was definetly a scary experience. Oh, one minor thing I might add is that my power steering pump is on and off about 50% of the time, but I have a warranty on that part still so I can always get that done before next spring (even though I am making arrangements for next week in San Diego). I must say I am having a blast travelling, as we stopped in pikes peak, the grand canyon and San Diego on the way to LA, and I still have a whole fun filled trip back the other way (was thinking yosemite, seattle, maybe mt rushmore) The northern US is much more desireable to be stranded in than the desert, so I am taking just that as a safety precaution. Knock on wood!
So seriously there has been no one else on this trip who had any problems? Even the dude with 281,000 miles on his cooper!?

Old 08-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
I was leaving Vegas on Friday and got just across the border into Cali when my coolant blew. 5th time since January. Luckily I was caravanning with a Sin City Club mate. Called Road Side Assistance (got them on speed dail now), after the tow truck hauled it off back to LV, I jumped in the other car and continued down (three of us and about 8 bags...). Not a happy camper though. Met some of the bigshots at Jillians and they promosed to help me out so I guess it could have been worse.