MTH Discussion (Archive) Have or interested in MTH software upgrades for your MINI? This is the place! Sponsored by MTH.

Cartune Issues w/ latest mini update?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Daddy Duper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cartune Issues w/ latest mini update?

Is anyone having compatibility issues with Cartune V 1.1.17.2 and the latest (Circa 6/27/06) MINI engine software upgrade?

Well, I don't think I am either, but tell me what you think -

A few months ago I bought a tuner file from MTH for my '04MCS. I downloaded my stock ECU files, and sent them in for modification. When I downloaded the stock files, the diagnostic software (Cartune V 1.1.17.2) read my VIN number correctly.

Between when I sent the stock file in for modification and when I tried to upload my new tuner file, I had to go in to my dealer (I won't name them... YET ) for service, and recieved the latest MINI software update. This update actually helped my issues of cold start and engine stumble

HOWEVER - Now when I use Cartune to ID my car, it shows a brand new VIN number From the looks of it, the number appears to be a default VIN - lots of zeros. Not a real looking ID number.

SO - my brother (20 year+ mechanic) says - no biggie, the tech at MINI just skipped the step where he is supposed to plug in the proper number. He either forgot or was trying to save time. Therefore he uploaded a default vehicle ID into my car.

As you would imagine, I contacted the dealer to get this issue corrected. The Assistant Service Manager claims that there is no way they can change this parameter (his words), and it is most likely a compatibility issue with cartune, not an issue of MINI uploading a default number into the car.

I have asked him to let me bring my car in and have his tech ID my car with their diagnostic tools. If the VIN comes up correctly, I guess it's Cartune. If not, it seems like I can say I told you so and have them correct it.

What say you?

Old 07-20-2006, 08:13 PM
5th Gear
Were you able to load the files?

Old 07-21-2006, 04:12 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Daddy Duper

Between when I sent the stock file in for modification and when I tried to upload my new tuner file, I had to go in to my dealer (I won't name them... YET ) for service, and recieved the latest MINI software update. This update actually helped my issues of cold start and engine stumble

HOWEVER - Now when I use Cartune to ID my car, it shows a brand new VIN number From the looks of it, the number appears to be a default VIN - lots of zeros. Not a real looking ID number.
Is this VIN problem is due to our system? I highly doubt it. But wait and see what happens after you visit your dealer again.

Interestingly, it would not be the first time that a BMW techie loaded the incorrect files. MTH recently had a case of Mini Cooper with a Mini One DME data -- original BMW.

IMPORTANT: Cars which receive updates from BMW must come back to us for a free update. When BMW does an update the new data/software can be quite different to that of the previous data/software. Therefore, it is very possible that our Tuned file is no longer 100% compatible with the ECU due to the new BMW software.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:59 AM
Daddy Duper
1st Gear
No luck yet...

002 - Nope, I have not yet been able to load the file, b/c Cartune sees my car with the default VIN as a different car. Since MTH (rightly) protects its files from being loaded onto multiple cars, I get "You are not authorised for this vehicle" error message if I try to load the new file.

DMH - So now that MINI has put a new software update in to my car, I should download that and send it in to MTH for an update? Of course, with a different VIN number, I now appear to be asking for a new file, right?

So I guess I need to keep pressing MINI to get my car back to the proper VIN and take it from there. I must admit that the new update is certainly an improvement.

MAN this is fun....:impatient

Old 07-21-2006, 07:00 AM
FUEGO
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen this before. One of the local people I do MTH for had his OEM software updated after a service visit. His Tuner file would not reload because the base software it overlays was completely different (as Don said above). We did two things to make it work - 1) We have a good relationship with the SA at that dealer and we asked him to have a tech reload the software but key in the full VIN this time - apparently a new update to the BMW/MINI system no longer requires the full VIN to be keyed in. 2) Once step 1 was done we downloaded a new .ORG file from his car that included the updated factory software and sent that off to create a replacement/updated tuner file.

I'm pretty sure that step 1 was not necessary because the ECU retained the last 7 digits of the VIN and MTH could have adjusted for that since the last 7 digits pretty much indicate it came from the same MINI.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:50 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Daddy Duper

DMH - So now that MINI has put a new software update in to my car, I should download that and send it in to MTH for an update? Of course, with a different VIN number, I now appear to be asking for a new file, right?

So I guess I need to keep pressing MINI to get my car back to the proper VIN and take it from there. I must admit that the new update is certainly an improvement.
Correct.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:19 AM
tech-gi
2nd Gear
New equipment!

I just had the new software upgrade yesterday.
The SA said they are using new programing equipment, SSS
she called it.
I've been sitting on my MTH file till I get some mods done.
I guess Back it goes.
The new prog. helped the rough idle issue I had.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Daddy Duper
1st Gear
Still Waiting!

I have heard nothing about compatibility issues between latest version (1.1.17.2) of Cartune and the latest MINI software update. Anyone?

My Asst SA continues to drag his feet in dealing with the likelihood that MINI has brainwashed my car into thinking it has a new VIN #. All I have asked him to do (so far) is hook my car up to their diagnostic equipment and lets see how it ID's itself. Then we will know for sure if the VIN got swapped.

I have been trying to get just this one thing done with him since July 17th!

Does anybody see any reason why ANY of this should be so difficult ?

Seriously, though - is it difficult to change the VIN number on the ECU using MINI's diagnostic equipment? I get the feeling he is going to tell me he can't do anything about it. I have no idea what to do if that happens.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:17 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just used Cartunes for my 06 with no problems. If your VIN was wiped, I would suspect that the dealer did it.

Can you try a differnet dealer?

Old 08-04-2006, 06:05 AM
Daddy Duper
1st Gear
Daflake -

I am definitely considering trying a different dealer. I am trying to salvage the situation since they are about 5 minutes from my office, and the other dealer in town is probably 40 minutes away or more.

I e-mailed the Asst SA and the Service Director yesterday am with a fairly pointed message - not rude, mind you, just made it clear that I am frustrated and don't understand the delay.

We'll see how this next response goes, and then I guess I will have to decide what to do next.

DD Duper

Old 08-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Daddy Duper
1st Gear
The Saga Continues

Checked with the other dealer in town and they said SURE WE CAN FIX THAT!

I threw that back to my Asst SA, SA, and whoever is above the SA, and essentially asked (very nicely) WTF?

Suddenly I get a phone call (!) from my Asst SA explaining everything that is going on, that he will be happy to take a look, but that he really does not think he can fix it. He says anyone who claims they can fix it is lying or doesn't know what they are talking about. So I figure I need to work this out with MTH and see if I can get it done another way.

But that night I get an e-mail from the SA and he says, bring me the car, I've had pretty good luck with these things. So hopefully next week I will be able to get the right VIN number into the ECU, and maybe even try to load my tuner file!!!! Optimally, I should send the new mini mim and org files to MTH for an update. Will it hurt the car if I load the tuner file I have in the interim? Seriously, I have had the damn thing since May and been waiting ever since!!!!

DD Duper

Old 08-17-2006, 12:01 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
Load it.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Daddy Duper
1st Gear
Roger that!