MTH Discussion (Archive) Have or interested in MTH software upgrades for your MINI? This is the place! Sponsored by MTH.

impressions on MTH software

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
impressions on MTH software

I've had the software for a couple of months now, and since day one have felt that it is a worthwhile performance mod for someone looking to pull all of their mods together. A couple questions I have concerning the software so far-

is the version I have supposed to fix the 'flat spot' issue? I still notice a flat spot between 3 and 4k rpms.
Does the software fix cold start issues? I've never had cold start problems, but in the past couple weeks I've begun to experience certain symptoms of cold start problems.
And lastly, does the MTH software change the redline? I've heard people saying with the software they can rev to 7250 or so? I still bounce off at 7000?

Old 06-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
Originally Posted by agile_moments
I've had the software for a couple of months now, and since day one have felt that it is a worthwhile performance mod for someone looking to pull all of their mods together. A couple questions I have concerning the software so far-

is the version I have supposed to fix the 'flat spot' issue? I still notice a flat spot between 3 and 4k rpms.
Does the software fix cold start issues? I've never had cold start problems, but in the past couple weeks I've begun to experience certain symptoms of cold start problems.
And lastly, does the MTH software change the redline? I've heard people saying with the software they can rev to 7250 or so? I still bounce off at 7000?
I would contact your nearest/dearest MTH dealer so they can send your MTH file off to be checked. Tuner files rev to 7200 and no more. Also are you sure its a flat spot, or dirty plugs/damaged wires ?

Si

Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
in the older files you would have to ask for the rev limit to be changed along with the ASC/DSC mod as well. if not they would remain stock.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mugami
in the older files you would have to ask for the rev limit to be changed along with the ASC/DSC mod as well. if not they would remain stock.
yes that would be true on older files, but as AGILE says, he has had his file only a few months, this would have been included. ALL Tuner files has this included

Old 06-06-2006, 05:19 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
denso plugs and kingsbourne wires, definately not a problem there. Can any MTH rep chime in? I've only had it a couple months, so I'm assuming its the most recent edition.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:08 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
I'm not your MTH dealer but ...

denso plugs and kingsbourne wires, definately not a problem there. Can any MTH rep chime in? I've only had it a couple months, so I'm assuming its the most recent edition.
I can try to help you out. One thing you can do if your car is having drivability issues is put back in your stock map, take it to your Mini dealer to get their latest software, and then reflash with the MTH software. Also, are all the modifications listed in your picture or whatever consistent with the software as purchased, i.e., have you made any changes?

Old 06-06-2006, 06:34 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
the nearest mini dealer is 2 hours away, so I'd rather not go that route. I've tried to install my factory map and then install the MTH map again, same results. And yes, those modifications are up to date with the software. The only changes to be made are coilovers to go on this week...but not a problem with the software.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:18 AM
MINI on the road
2nd Gear

Old 06-07-2006, 01:57 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
The flat spots...

from the factory map are indeed tuned out by MTH. You should not be experiencing this problem. 7250 is the raised redline. Cold start issues can be caused by a variety of things but the MTH software is likely not the cause.
To get a better understanding of your problem you may need to get an A/F meter and a digital rpm gauge.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:26 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
I'm not saying the cold start issue is because of the software. I would just like some peace of mind after spending 400 dollars on something untangable that the upgrade I paid for is actually upgrading my car? I'll take it around tomorrow morning and check to make sure my issues are still valid. As far as an a/f meter or digital gauges, I'd rather not go through all that trouble (I'm moving into a new house on my own and still in college, so trouble in this case is money) if it is possible for MTH to just send me another file that they are sure works...and maybe some upload instructions, in case I'm doing it incorrectly.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:00 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
It doesn't sound as if there is actually anything wrong. Please contact me directly if you have further concerns.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:38 AM
BMDoubleU
3rd Gear
I'm not saying the cold start issue is because of the software. I would just like some peace of mind after spending 400 dollars on something untangable that the upgrade I paid for is actually upgrading my car? I'll take it around tomorrow morning and check to make sure my issues are still valid. As far as an a/f meter or digital gauges, I'd rather not go through all that trouble (I'm moving into a new house on my own and still in college, so trouble in this case is money) if it is possible for MTH to just send me another file that they are sure works...and maybe some upload instructions, in case I'm doing it incorrectly.
hmmm, could it be fuel? there has been a lot of talk about other BMW's (such as M3) and the switch over to ethanol and water showing up in fuel tanks. (what brand are you using?) if you are using cheap gas you might have fuel pump and/or fuel filter issues..