MINIs & Minis for Sale Need a Mini or a MINI? Want a Mini or a MINI? You're at the right place!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Part fits (you may select multiples):

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS:: Good Deals on CL

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 05:49 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Year: 2006
Make: MINI
Model: Hardtop
Price: $1
Mileage: 100
Color: red
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern

PSA:

If anyone here is the current bidder, or planning to bid on the BRG 2004 JCW on Ebay right now, you should know that the passenger side door sill has a fairly serious rust issue. There's a spot the size of a quarter that's actually perforated (not just surface rust). The passenger side lower door seam also has rust.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:42 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
Congrats! The stickers will come off with a hair dryer. I'm 40 and I remember sticker bombing my Mexican built Fender Squier guitar as a teen... I think its a right of passage. When I was 20, adding stickers to my car was a way to make it my own, yet each year I felt it was less and less mature. In my generation, stickers were collected slowly... at concerts, skate/surf shops, and gas stations. Now, you just buy them on Amazon in "sticker bomb" bundles. Sigh..

Nice JCW!
I can relate and agree with you about the stickers adding an individualized "unique" touch. I was like you as far as slowly adding them all up, the "sticker bomb" bundles are yet another example of hypermodern easy convenience, just another lazy shortcut that seems so prevalent these days.

I ended up getting a car here from the NAM classifieds,
this one:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-for-sale.html

The funny thing is that I went to check it out in early Jan., 1000 mile roundtrip in a rental car (a horrific 2018 Nissan Altima) and at that time I declined it due to some paint issues and other little niggles -- my heart loved it, but my brain dissected all the faults and I was overly critical with absurd expectations for a 12 year old car. Fast forward to last week and I was working an out of town job in Jupiter Florida which the turnpike route goes right by the seller, I contacted him to see if he still had the car and indeed he did, and we made a deal and I drove it home.

I'm so stoked!
It is a bit of a rip snorter and although I've only driven 600 some odd miles so far, it continually tempts me into wild hooliganism and it's difficult to have restraint!

Looking very forward to get to know the car. I was intending to take it to some twisties relatively close to home to take some pix and make a thread, but I'm pressed for time and instead will just take some shots later today in more mundane surroundings, still, can't wait to really wring it out though!

Old 04-04-2018, 06:45 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
PSA:

If anyone here is the current bidder, or planning to bid on the BRG 2004 JCW on Ebay right now, you should know that the passenger side door sill has a fairly serious rust issue. There's a spot the size of a quarter that's actually perforated (not just surface rust). The passenger side lower door seam also has rust.
I looked but couldn't find the auction,
do you have a link?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:08 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
I can relate and agree with you about the stickers adding an individualized "unique" touch. I was like you as far as slowly adding them all up, the "sticker bomb" bundles are yet another example of hypermodern easy convenience, just another lazy shortcut that seems so prevalent these days.

I ended up getting a car here from the NAM classifieds,
this one:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-for-sale.html

The funny thing is that I went to check it out in early Jan., 1000 mile roundtrip in a rental car (a horrific 2018 Nissan Altima) and at that time I declined it due to some paint issues and other little niggles -- my heart loved it, but my brain dissected all the faults and I was overly critical with absurd expectations for a 12 year old car. Fast forward to last week and I was working an out of town job in Jupiter Florida which the turnpike route goes right by the seller, I contacted him to see if he still had the car and indeed he did, and we made a deal and I drove it home.

I'm so stoked!
It is a bit of a rip snorter and although I've only driven 600 some odd miles so far, it continually tempts me into wild hooliganism and it's difficult to have restraint!

Looking very forward to get to know the car. I was intending to take it to some twisties relatively close to home to take some pix and make a thread, but I'm pressed for time and instead will just take some shots later today in more mundane surroundings, still, can't wait to really wring it out though!
Congrats! Georgia has some amazing twisties to "break in" your new-to-you JCW! I just picked up a JCW in Atlanta, drove it back to Chicago/Iowa in December.. Unfortunately the Dragon was a little too far off the path home.

The following users liked this post:
Oldboy Speedwell (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:16 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
I looked but couldn't find the auction,
do you have a link?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273131817628?ul_noapp=true

Somebody nabbed it for $5,500, and it would've been me if that rust wasn't there.

Oldboy Speedwell (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Congrats! Georgia has some amazing twisties to "break in" your new-to-you JCW! I just picked up a JCW in Atlanta, drove it back to Chicago/Iowa in December.. Unfortunately the Dragon was a little too far off the path home.
Many thanks!

I'll be posting an "acquisition" thread a little later this evening with some boring pictures because I couldn't make it to the mountains.
I am TOTALLY STOKED on this car and I sense the beginning of a beautiful relationship!
=)

I am scheduled for tomorrow at 10am for a general inspection at WMW,
also stoked that's he's my local, about 1 hour south of me, but I was a moron and didn't get a PPI because I was so desperate to find a non-sunroof that I went ahead and bought it regardless and let the chips fall where they may, hopefully also he can fix the trifecta lights which are currently on, it just turned 99k --
-- I just hope that I'm not one of those suckers who'll end up with a $4k service estimate!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4378195

...but even if I do I think I'd still be happy funnily enough as so far this lil ride has juiced my soul up with mucho big spirit and I'm absolutely ecstatic.
Although I do feel a bit overwhelmed as where to start with the resto of maint. and age-related wear parts, I'm totally unfamiliar with these cars and feel like a fish outta water, so I'm hoping that Way can gimme a flowchart checklist type 'o thing with which issues to address first and progress down the list from there...

...I will be turning my own wrench for the most part, and to me, that is a critical and crucial aspect to getting to know your car, so it's something that I look forward to, however, I know my limitations and and I'm beyond the point of macho self-pride so I have no worries if I have to put it in the shop for some things beyond my scope --- I am especially intimidated by all the electronics and digital stuff, and to be truthful I wish that the R53 was even more analog than it is because manually-operated parts last longer and are easier to fix, but so it goes, I'm just happy as hell that I got one and I'm excited to the rad max with this lil acid rat!

PS
edit
I remember seeing your post about your car from ATL and the pix at the dealership, but can't remember which thread?
Can you post a link so I can revisit it?
Congrats on finding your car too!
Cheers!

Old 04-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273131817628?ul_noapp=true

Somebody nabbed it for $5,500, and it would've been me if that rust wasn't there.
Thanks for the link.

A nice looker no doubt and for a good price, but it's the rust issues as you mentioned which bug me out as such stuff can be difficult and time-consuming to properly repair.

I wish the northern states would ditch and get rid of whatever toxic mix they use for snow salts, I'd be so angry if I lived up there and bought a new car only to have it attacked by the rust bugs.

I am always wary of cars from the north for that reason, but that said, the one that I just bought started it's life in Mass. and lived there for at least 3 years, and some surface rust on certain bolts is noticeable, but the rear under-taillight area is all good as I inspected them thoroughly.

I hate rust.

But it is inevitable.

And,
ironically, I sometimes find that particular patina to be quite beautiful...

Old 04-04-2018, 05:26 PM
burley
6th Gear
Many thanks!

edit
I remember seeing your post about your car from ATL and the pix at the dealership, but can't remember which thread?
Can you post a link so I can revisit it?
Congrats on finding your car too!
Cheers!
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er-04-jcw.html

I'm stoked for you! Dont worry, I dont think I've ever been to a MINI dealership and escaped without an estimate under $4k. No joke, they always find something that "needs" replacing, and its never cheap, even under 40k miles. Way is a pro, and I'm sure he'll tell you what really needs fixing. If I were you I'd get his tune. I would have when I was in Atlanta, but the only day I had open was Saturday. I'm still regretting it, because the remote tune is past my breaking point cost wise... And I miss the pops and burbles of my 05 JCW.

Congrats again! There's nothing like your first of any car. Remember to check your oil every other fill up (MINIs are thirsty).

PSA:

How did you find out about the rust? Its not listed anywhere on the listing.. I would be PISSED when the advert makes it out to be a pretty clean "not beaten on" ride.. Though anyone buying a car from someone in Jersey should not be surprised. Too much title washing in that state... NY as well.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:08 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
How did you find out about the rust? Its not listed anywhere on the listing.. I would be PISSED when the advert makes it out to be a pretty clean "not beaten on" ride.. Though anyone buying a car from someone in Jersey should not be surprised. Too much title washing in that state... NY as well.

I was interested in it and had been chatting with the seller for nearly two weeks. I requested photos of those areas and Boom, there it was. He didn't seem to care much. I believe the car was well-cared for before his ownership.

NC and NJ are the worst for title washing, with Arizona trailing closely I believe. NY isn't as bad, but it still happens. Hurricane Sandy was the impetus for many of the recent NY/NJ washed titles. No pun intended.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:27 AM
wikdr53
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
It's not craigslist but it looks to be a nice low mileage R52 S. I would buy it but I have a JCW R52. No LSD, but nicely equipped none the less.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Cooper...ea30%7Ciid%3A1

Old 04-05-2018, 05:52 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wikdr53
It's not craigslist but it looks to be a nice low mileage R52 S. I would buy it but I have a JCW R52. No LSD, but nicely equipped none the less.

Doesn't have to be craigslist, any good deal is well appreciated. This looks clean and from the reflection, adult owned Dont read into it too much, but I think a man in his 60's taking a photo with an iPad is a good sign.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Mr.Couch
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is an UNHOLY amount of tire shine in that engine bay

Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Couch
that is an UNHOLY amount of tire shine in that engine bay
Apply liberally doesn't even begin to describe what I just looked at.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:00 AM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Not necessarily a “good” deal at the asking price, but it’s rare enough to warrant posting. Here is a 2008 R52 LoTS JCW convertible (with its badge). I can’t figure out what happened to the hood strips, but I suppose those aren’t that pricey to replace (especially compared to that unobtainium badge). DC area 90k miles for $9k.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...35435920102871

Old 04-05-2018, 11:13 AM
wikdr53
4th Gear
It's a sidewalk edition. Those generally were not ordered with the bonnet stripes. Factory JCW plus sidewalk edition is a pretty rare R52.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:05 PM
burley
6th Gear
It's a sidewalk edition. Those generally were not ordered with the bonnet stripes. Factory JCW plus sidewalk edition is a pretty rare R52.
Its a Sidewalk, yes, but also a Last of the Supercharged which have center stripes from factory. I think all of the LOTSC were Sidewalks, right? These are among the most rare if I'm not mistaken.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:31 PM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Its a Sidewalk, yes, but also a Last of the Supercharged which have center stripes from factory. I think all of the LOTSC were Sidewalks, right? These are among the most rare if I'm not mistaken.

the Last of the Supercharged (LoTS) cars were all the same spec. Sidewalk + JCW packages. Astro Black over black English Leather seats with silver “Viper Stripes”. The LoTS cars were the only R52s to get the Black English seats, which I wanted so bad when I had a convertible. They also have special door sills and that spikey grill badge.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
05 JCW
$8,500

A VERY nice looking slicktop JCW here,
with full aero kit too...

...low miles!

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...552303689.html

...and,
a couple of others:

03 MCS JCW
$4,800
( slicktop with quite a few mods it looks like)

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/c...553963509.html

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

06 MCS
$2,000
(non-running, needs clutch)

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d...553116351.html

Old 04-06-2018, 06:09 PM
burley
6th Gear
05 JCW
$8,500

A VERY nice looking slicktop JCW here,
with full aero kit too...

...low miles!

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...552303689.html

...and,
a couple of others:

03 MCS JCW
$4,800
( slicktop with quite a few mods it looks like)

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/c...553963509.html

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

06 MCS
$2,000
(non-running, needs clutch)

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d...553116351.html
The Denver JCW loses points for moving the badge from lower grill to upper.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
The Denver JCW loses points for moving the badge from lower grill to upper.
I'd have to agree with you on that.

...and,
the 03 in Grand Rapids loses points for still having rooftop cargo mounts.

what's the deal with that anyway?
Can they not be removed???
I've came across many that looked like that,
with a removed cargo carrier but the mounts still in place?
WHY???

Old 04-06-2018, 08:35 PM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
the 03 in Grand Rapids loses points for still having rooftop cargo mounts.

what's the deal with that anyway?
Can they not be removed???
I've came across many that looked like that,
with a removed cargo carrier but the mounts still in place?
WHY???
The reason is the OEM roof rack for R50/R53’s requires the car to have its roof drilled. So those “mounts” are also covers that cover the holes in the sheet metal.

I am sure someone somewhere was successful in taking one of those mounts off only to discover the Whole Truth.....

Oldboy Speedwell (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AeroJammin

The reason is the OEM roof rack for R50/R53’s requires the car to have its roof drilled. So those “mounts” are also covers that cover the holes in the sheet metal.

I am sure someone somewhere was successful in taking one of those mounts off only to discover the Whole Truth.....
Thanks for the explanation,
now I know.

Nice pun!

I've seen quite a few CL ads and elsewhere similar to that Grand Rapid car where just the mounts remain and always wondered why they weren't removed.

On another note,
I like watching the BaT auctions and the commentary is usually very good too, learn alot sometimes about specific makes and what to look out for,
this one will be interesting to see the final hammer price:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...i-cooper-s-11/

...but,
give me that 1275GT!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...n-mini-1275gt/

It's a birthyear model for me so it'd be extra special, but dunno if I'd ever get used to RHD ---
I've always dreamed of running a classic Mini...

Old 04-10-2018, 08:42 PM
wikdr53
4th Gear
Here is a 2013 GP with no reserve. The zero feedback is a concern, but it does have the buyer protection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Mini-O...Nay~IQ&vxp=mtr

Old 04-11-2018, 05:13 AM
burley
6th Gear
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...i-cooper-s-11/

Wow, I'm very curious to see what this brings on BAT!! If a base S is currently going for $8200, I wonder what my JCW with 34k miles is worth?? :popc orn:

Old 04-11-2018, 06:09 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
I bid $7,000 on that when it was listed on Ebay last week. It had a Buy It Now price of $9200 BaT is a mania and nothing more; it's auction mentality (overpaying for the sake of involvement) but for wealthier people than eBay. In it's infancy it was a wonderful place to buy a car, but in no way does BaT set the standard for the marketplace value of a car.

I think the idea that ultra-low mileage cars being worth a premium needs to die. There are plenty of poorly cared for low mileage cars out there, not to mention lack of use has it's own set of inherent issues.

Quick Reply: FS:: Good Deals on CL