Feeler: What could I sell my '05 DS MCS JCW for? I might sell...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 05:40 PM
b8b
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feeler: What could I sell my '05 DS MCS JCW for? I might sell...

Hi All!

I've done a few minor things to my MCS JCW... I really like it, so much that I want to buy one with exactly the packages that fit me. So I was thinking about selling this one so I could get another. It runs great, I have an all-highway commute with no traffic (less than a mile of non-highway drive) and I've averaged as much as 30.9 MPG (according to the computer, not sure how accurate that is), and never below 24 MPG (maybe I'm not "driving" it?). I've gone pretty easy on it as it's my first "nice" car. It has:

- just under 10,000 miles
- Cold Weather Package (heated seats, washer jets, etc.)
- I put DS aero side skirts on it
- K&N filter inside the stock JCW intake box
- I put on a hidden hitch which I have yet to use with the Thulle 665 hitch box I recently purchased for it, it has the trailer light kit (for use with the lights built into the hitch box)
- rain-sensing wipers
- auto-dimming mirror
- computer thingy (mileage, range, etc. - forgot the exact name of it)
- xenon lights
- dealer installed JCW kit
- professionally tinted by same tinter who does Brecht BMW/Mini tinting, lifetime warranty
- hood stripes (can be removed)
- I have a spare set of JCW wheels and run-flat tires with it that have only 4700 miles on them

Only problem is it has a BB size rock chip on the roof (grrr). I am the only one who hand-washes it using Klasse products. I dust and spot detail it every day and put the cover on it to try and keep it perfect. I would only sell to buy another, not entirely sure if I should sell (depends on how much I could get for it). If someone offered me $27k, I'd probably sell it immediately, but I don't think I can get that much for it (except maybe in San Fran). I get lots of attention and compliments on it (thus, I want another, but with my specific config).

Your thoughts?

TIA,
b.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:32 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Nice car, I think you are in the right ballpark with the 27K and that will generate the inquiries at least, since it's less than a new one costs. That seems to be a hard point for anyone here to understand. To sell used it has to be a deal over new. Start at 27K or 27.5 and see what kind of traffic you get.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:45 PM
b8b
3rd Gear
Right on, Thanks!

Old 09-15-2006, 07:05 PM
HEMI-MINI
4th Gear
Looks real nice....lot of places to post free ads to try and sell it. Whats the worst that can heppen...you keep the car!

Old 09-15-2006, 07:09 PM
b8b
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by HEMI-MINI
Whats the worst that can heppen...you keep the car!
That's true! That's the best part of it, no down-side!
I'm wondering though if I can find an '06 factory JCW with the options I want (#1,2 & 3)... I'm not into the '07+ turbo.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:12 AM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Not for long, the order process for the 2006's is just about over. Maybe one will come in that someone passed on, DOWNTOWN Mini has a nice Chili Red one, but it may have sold this week.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:55 AM
b8b
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CDMINI
Not for long, the order process for the 2006's is just about over.
You can still order an '06?

Old 09-16-2006, 10:42 AM
dhodory
2nd Gear
Couple of data points: two recent eBayMotors auctions that closed without a sale were $22.5k and $24k -- so that's an idea (statistically invalid small sample size though) of what people might be willing to pay. Edmunds.com says a car in "good" condition with your mileage and options (excluding JCW) should transact around $20k (I may have missed one of your option packages though), but that's without the JCW value. So, is the JCW package worth the $6k you paid? Probably not. But it's not worth $1k either. So say its worth $4k to $4.5k and you have a transaction price around $24k to $24.5k, which would imply a listing price in the $25k to $25.5k range (depending on how much you want to move off your price. Again, the more 2005s that actually sell, the more information you have. Given that it doesn't appear you're in any hurry to sell, I'd advertise heavily at your current listing price, and drop the asking price by about $250 every 3 to 4 weeks until you start getting a significant number of offers. Good luck with the sale.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:45 AM
b8b
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dhodory
...which would imply a listing price in the $25k to $25.5k range
I'd be happy with that. Thanks for the advice and response! I'm in California so I hope there's going to be willing buyers at that price range.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:59 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dhodory
Couple of data points: two recent eBayMotors auctions that closed without a sale were $22.5k and $24k -- so that's an idea (statistically invalid small sample size though) of what people might be willing to pay. Edmunds.com says a car in "good" condition with your mileage and options (excluding JCW) should transact around $20k
Again, since I just went through this, here is some hard data.

Similar cars not selling for $23K are a strong indication of real life (although many Ebay deals are done after the auction, the auction is just for advertising). I ran the car through KBB it comes out about $22.3. Stripes, dimming mirrors add nothing.
$23K in a private sale would be fair ... "maybe $24K" with the JCW kit.

Remember, you cant just go to cars.com and list all the cars prices ... that means nothing. You need to know what they actually sell for. Try doing a search on Ebay of cars sold. Also look at the bidding history ... I see lots of ZERO feedback bidders ... SCAM. Shills.

However, you handle it ... SELL the JCW wheels in a private deal here on NAM. They will most likely sell to someone (dont just give them away with the car).

BEST OF LUCK