MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.
View Poll Results: Should Bob get an 'S'????
Yes, the S is the way to go
59.77%
No, the Cooper will do you just fine
16.09%
Get both, then you will not have to decide
8.05%
Look at that little S car go....
5.75%
Randy Webb says....gimme an S !!
5.75%
Anything is better than the old Subaru....
4.60%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Please VOTE: Should Bob get an 'S'?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 04:54 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please VOTE: Should Bob get an 'S'?

Soon-to-be new MINI owner Bob Krugmire wrote the following:

' Bob here, and soon to be a Mini owner! Because of limited allocations at Schomp in October, my order date has been delayed until November. Which means that I am now free to waffle back and forth for several more weeks! I was originally looking at a MCS, but am now waffling so bad that I am also looking at the option of ordering a MC. Color choices have ranged between purple haze to blue to red to yellow. The last vehicle I purchased was 18 years ago (a totally awesome Toyota PU), so I guess I can hem and haw (as my Aunt says) just a bit. Any advice on MCS versus MC would be greatly appreciated! Just playing the with builder at miniusa is totally fun, so the period of waiting until my order is placed is filled with happy digital obsession! Cheers! '

Well, let's not just sit there! Let's help Bob decide!! Please take the time to register your vote and your opinion, right here. I have invited Bob out for our functions this weekend, and let's let him see and drive some of ours. That way...Bob can make an informed decision.

Thanks, and welcome to Bob!!

JPS

Old 10-28-2005, 06:57 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Test drive both. That's the only way to really know what's right for you.

Dave, who use to live in Denver and owns and S, but now lives in L.A. and has MC being delivered in a couple weeks. :smile:

Old 10-28-2005, 07:27 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't just "settle" for an MC. By that I mean get a car that really gets in your soul...MINIs can do that, you know. So if you choose a Cooper, don't do it because it's cheaper or something...do it because you absolutely love the unique motoring experience a Cooper offers. You'd have to consider your driving environs, yes, and your own set of automotive expectations, but then go for the MINI that gets your passions going. No MINI...Cooper, MCS, or One...CVT, JCW, or cabrio... should go unloved or unappreciated.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:56 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Bob, so far the poll results

are in favor of an S. But we need more votes....

JPS

Old 10-28-2005, 10:58 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Considering the elevation, I'd say you'll probably wind up being happier with the S, but I stand by my statement earlier that Bob should test drive both.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:25 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We must consider all the ramifications of the Supercharger or not. If bob gets the S than his car will go faster as apposed to not going faster. But than again his car may not get the gas mileage that is associated with the non-s. He should defiantly get a MINI S or not. But if he decides to get a non-S MINI he will not have a supercharger from the factory when he picks it up. So he should get a MINI.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
When you have a MINI you have nothing to compensate for.

Did Paddy Hopkirk have a supercharger? I think NOT!

Do you want to be a "Whine-o"?

Old 10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Test drive both. But saying that, I am a MC owner. In fact I'm on my second one. The gearing in the 05's made the MC a lot quicker & faster off the throttle. If you want the high end power out on the interstates, I say get the S. But the MC's are just as aggressive in the twisties & can keep up with the Ss. Now granted, I'm a girl, but ask Jonathan how I drive He knows I'll be heading west in March for AMVIV. Hope you have that new MINI by then.

Lois

Old 10-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Red Erik
2nd Gear
Imagine my glee to find myself a topic in the forums! Thanks to all for the advice and kind (and humorous) words. I will certainly have to stop by on Saturday and visit with everyone (I'll even bring the camera and take a few shots for Mini5280's website if that is okay). If actually owning a new Mini (be it MC or MCS) is even half the fun I am having shopping for one, this could be the start of a bee-u-tiful relationship!! Again thanks for the fun responses and cheers to all!!

Currently, I am leaning toward the Mini S...or the Mini.

Some clever wags here in the office are compiling a list of my other life issues which they feel confident the good folks at Mini5280 could provide assistance on, so stay tuned for further voting questions!

See everyone on Saturday!!

Old 10-28-2005, 03:09 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BobKrugmire

Currently, I am leaning toward the Mini S...or the Mini.

Some clever wags here in the office are compiling a list of my other life issues which they feel confident the good folks at Mini5280 could provide assistance on, so stay tuned for further voting questions!

See everyone on Saturday!!
What no office pool on MC vs MCS, CR/W vs PW/B, leather vs cloth, drop top vs hard top, and on and on and on.

I'd put in $5.00 and make a choice and whoever is closest wins it all.

Earl

Old 10-28-2005, 03:42 PM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
What is more important? Make a list.
Price (could be most important)
Gas mileage
Color (some MINI colors are only available in one model)
Bonnet Scoop
Power
More Power
Most Power
Resale

When you take a test drive - make sure you choose a steep
hill or incline (should not be too hard to find in your area.)
That's what sold me on my choice.

Old 10-29-2005, 04:30 AM
MiniRiderBill
2nd Gear
Mcs!!!

Bob buy the S if you don't you'll always say "Sure wish I had gotten the S"
I absolutely love mine, more so everytime I drive him

No regrets

Bill & Spike

Old 10-30-2005, 01:34 AM
jimdaniels
1st Gear
S or not, drop tops rule

Old 10-30-2005, 05:20 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We need a pro-Cooper choice that doesn't make it sound like settling.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:25 AM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
RED S RED RED S RED S -BUT-I COULD BE BIASED!!!

I think the S is the only way to go, but im a horsepower junkie so it was my only choice. whatever you do, you'll enjoy it im sure. but do remember
RED IS THE RIGHT COLOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-30-2005, 07:39 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Bob now you've gone and done it. I know you were innocently (and perhaps rightly) looking for some help on your difficult decision, but in reality all you've accomplished - as have many similar threads - is to reveal the slightly skewed (in more ways than one) demographic of NAM users and the fact that owners love (I mean LOVE) the MINI they themselves own. Useful information, yes, but I'm afraid you'll have to sift through the more helpful, thoughtful, and insightful posts (both of them) and totally disregard the numbers the poll itself suggests. I imagine it's that way with a lot of polls, though, so no harm done. In the end, it's your decision to make and no one should/can save you from the delicious agony of that seminal decision.

Oh and by the way, did I mention how utterly fantastic Coopers are??

Old 10-31-2005, 05:24 AM
Red_5
3rd Gear
Originally I was all keen on the S. It was all I talked about, but when it came down to purchase time I bought a beautiful Chili Red & White 2005 Mini Cooper. The look of the MC and the ride is what took me in that happy direction and I have zero regrets. I love the look of the bonnet on the Cooper. It has beautiful aesthitics that aren't mared by that scoop. I don't like the scoop. I also love the smooth sides of the Cooper and the gas cap lid. The S has a hole in the driver's side and the silver gas cap just jumps out and says, "LOOK AT ME!" To me, that ruins the look. I also found the ride in the Cooper to be smoother than that of the S, which was bumpier. The Cooper also has great pick up and is very zippy and it has the same maneuverability that the S has.

Give em both a test drive and see which you like best. One of them will fit you better than the other, and if not, then buy one of each

Which ever you decide on you'll be happy because it's a MINI!!!

MTFBWY,
--Will

Old 10-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
YES ends in S

The S was the only option for me. That said you have to think about the fact that with no spare the runflat is the only option $$$$.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:34 AM
usna92
1st Gear
S, S, and More S

S is the way to go. Had mine for a month and can't stop smiling.

Good to see you on Saturday, where are your pictures posted?

Thanks,
usna92 (Jim)

Old 11-01-2005, 10:42 AM
ssimms
2nd Gear
Cooper or Cooper S?

Bob,

I own a non supercharged MINI Cooper and with 68,000 miles on the clock, I can attest to having thoroughly test driven my choice with no regrets. I wanted the 15 inch wheels for quick spin up. ( I have upgraded to a 7 inch wide wheel that weighs only 12lbs. though) and I prefer the ride of my car to an S suspension especially with my wheels being under 16". I don't know how all of these guys ride around on 16, 17 or 18's with the S suspension. The ride is just too rough for me to put 23-25,000 per year in the seat.
Speaking of seats,the sport seats are a necessity for me and the way to go, as is, the multifunction steering wheel. And I love my sunroof which has convinced me that I really don't need the convertible even though that was my original plan in 2002 (Order a Cooper and wait patiently for a convertible S to become orderable)
Outside of these things I also prefer my Cooper to an S for the gas mileage. I haven't clocked a sub 34 MPG tank of gas since new, including the several done at the autocross. I average between 37 and 40 MPG with the caveat that I do drive 75% of my miles on the interstate here in Colorado.
I also drive my car in the snow with snow tires all around and prefer the slight hieght advantage my Cooper with 15" wheels has over an S (I kept my 7 holeys for snow tires). I live in the foothills and have driven through several 8-9 inch snowfalls without problem. Now above that depth you will plow snow with the front end so unless you will only be driving on the flat you will have to stay home or drive something else in snow deeper that 8 or 9 inches.
The electronic mind games and the on line process of decision making, waiting and watching your car being built and shipped was truly as much fun as owning and driving the car has been. Enjoy your wait knowing that when you get it the fun just continues.
Final note; biased as I am to my Cooper. I have and appreciate many, many friends at MINI5280 who own S's and wouldn't think of owning a standard Cooper.
Motor On! Bob,

Scott

Old 11-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Red_5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Zyamfier
He who dies with the most toys WINS!!
Actually, he who dies with the most toys is still dead. The winners are the ones who inherit them

MTFBWY,
--Will

Old 11-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Red Erik
2nd Gear
Release the White Smoke...A Decision Has Been Made!

After asking friends, family and the occassional stranger on the street, along with the good folks at Mini5280 (the Show N Shine was good fun...even with rain), I have finally made a decision regarding the pending purchase of my new Mini. I have decided to go with the majority opinion and purchase a Mini Cooper S. Even though strong arguments were placed regarding the Mini Cooper, I decided to drop the few extra bucks and go for a bit more power. Seriously, I have not put this much research and thought into any other purchase. The last vehicle I purchased (Elmer, the Wonder Truck) took one test drive (down the middle, I kid you not, of Boulder Creek) and five minutes of thought. 250,000 miles later, that purchase continues to prove to be a good one. I learned yesterday that the allocations for Ralph Schomp have been corrected, which resulted in my ability to order my Mini tomorrow after work!!! This change in allocations essentially forced my hand (I was quite prepared to waffle for 30 more days)! I am also please to say (although this could change at the last minute) that my current fav color combo is CR/B. I really love the Chili Red color, and I think that the black roof nicely balances the other black trappings. And now...we wait for actual delivery! See everyone at the November meeting and thanks again for the kind words and excellent advice! Happy motoring!!

Old 11-01-2005, 08:42 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Good for you, Bob

We will see you at WEBB next Tuesday eve for a fun tech session. Randy tells me he is looking for someone who needs a mod...so if you do, call Randy, schedule it for Tuesday eve, and we will all watch.

Thanks, see you then.

JPS

Old 11-25-2005, 12:00 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Not too late to change your mind...again.

I got an MCS and wonder why I put up with the extra weight, complexity and fuel consumption when I seldom use the extra power. Also, because I got rid of the runflats I am reminded about not having a spare every time I drive. And its shnozz is bulbous compared to the MC. These have been mentioned by others above.

I'm very happy with my MCS because it's so nifty, but wonder every time I see an MC. On the other hand I'm very happy with my PW/B color scheme but wonder every time I see another color MINI. I assume everybody who does not drive a MINI wonders why not everytime they see my car. Human nature.

Has a 2007 been considered? I wonder if its slightly larger dimensions (according to Motoringfile) means that the MCS will also have a spare? I wonder if the Euro-mandated pedestrian-friendly shnozz will mean that both MC and MCS will have identical profile fronts? I wonder if that new motor will really be more responsive in feel (Motoringfile again)?

Perhaps another poll ought to be 2006 or 2007?

Old 11-25-2005, 12:18 PM
JCWGurl
Coordinator :: Manitoba MINI Motoring Club
Well, I took the S and non-S both for a test drive before deciding on a 2006 JCW MCS. I liked the MC for it's character, Loved the MCS and am infatuated with my 06 JCW(complete this year with the JCW brakes which is a big bonus IMHO). Words can not express my feelings for this car...the way the supercharger whines gives me shivers everytime I romp on it and the way it burbles when I downshift is like a symphony. I did not get the HK stereo option because frankly, I'd rather listen the the wonder of power and engineering that I am driving. I have not regretted for a moment choosing the JCW package even though it was purchased unseen & undriven...and with a few reservations after reading "mixed" reviews on both this site and the Mini2 forum. So my point is to get something that makes your heart thump and knees shake - if it's only about the pure beaty of design then it makes no difference they are all equally sexy. If you appreciate the supercharged power, rock sold handling and sheer speed then go for an S.....if you just NEED to have it all get the JCW. You will not be disappointed.

Glad to see you chose the S...happy motoring

Quick Reply: Please VOTE: Should Bob get an 'S'?