MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

clear bra in CO?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:57 AM
micahbones
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clear bra in CO?

Hi. I will be picking up my '06 MCS from Schomp in late Nov/early Dec and have a couple of questions about clear bra (I know this has been discussed ad nauseum on other NAM threads, but I have yet to find answers to my specific questions):

1. With the intense sun in CO, does the invisishield/clear bra material crack or change color (get cloudy or yellow) over time?

2. Do you get paint chips where the clear bra coverage ends (i.e., does the paint look good where the clear bra covers it, but then has damage from sand/rock blasting on the hood beyond the first third where the clear bra is placed)?

3. What independent shops on the area do good clear bra and tint work? Schomp wants over $600 for "invisishield" alone (and it doesn't even cover the headlights) -- seems overpriced to me...

4. Is it worth the money? For example, for the same price I could get some functional performance upgrades like spark plugs and wires, rear sway bar, etc...

Thanks for your answers to my newbie questions!

Old 09-20-2005, 01:23 PM
dhagberg
1st Gear
I've wondered myself. It seems to me that a ClearBra is a considerable percentage of a decent re-paint job, at least at Schomp's price of ~$600. It just seems to me that it'd be easier just to touch-up the chips a couple times a year and plan on re-painting the bonnet at approx 3-5yrs.

We also have a *lot* less sand on the roads in Colorado now that they're using magnesium chloride as a de-icer...

I know I could find a lot more useful things to spend 6 franklins on.

-=- D. J.

Old 10-01-2005, 03:06 PM
mrdirosa
3rd Gear
Eclipse Window Tinting in Lafayette

All my cars get tinted there and they do clear bras too. Great work and they are the cheapest around.

http://www.eclipsetinting.com/

Old 10-02-2005, 01:37 PM
micahbones
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mrdirosa
All my cars get tinted there and they do clear bras too. Great work and they are the cheapest around.
Thanks for the tip. Do you remember what the prices were for clear bra and tint?

Also, do they use the "wrap" technique for the clear bra? The Minis I have seen with clear bras from Schomp have a 2-3mm gap between the edge of the clear bra and the trim, which doesn't look very good IMO.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:06 AM
rclements
2nd Gear
I used Auto Armor in Boulder

.. on my 05 MCS and it turned out great!

FYI they will do custom requests (door corners, fender bottoms etc.)
The main guy lives in Longmont and works out of a shop on Arapahoe Ave near 75th.

I hung out and watched him work; he's a pro. All genuine 3M materials.

regards,

Rob Clements

Old 10-03-2005, 08:31 AM
micahbones
3rd Gear
Thanks for the tip Rob. That works well for me because I live in Boulder. Do you have a phone number for them? I just searched the Boulder yellow pages and could not find a place of that name...

BTW if you haven't been to Tortugas in Longmont (218 Coffman), go check it out. I worked there for a few years -- it's one of the best restaurants in the Longmont/Boulder/Denver area. They serve primarily Caribbean and Cajun inspired dishes.