MINI E Talk (2010) Discussion of the electric, zero-emissions field trial MINI. Only 500 to be leased by MINIUSA!

Charger installation - status, questions, lessons learned etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little progress- things are moving on the SCE side, the order for the meter housing is in their system and the application to start TOU service at my 'new address' is also in. I was told to expect the housing within 5 days. The contractor is at the ready to complete the install, and the city should be able to come within a business day or so for inspection. When/ if the city approves, SCE will install the meter in 2 business days. It has taken some time to get all the involved parties on the same page, but I think they *might* be now. Time will tell if I get past all these issues, then end up getting stuck over the UL listing. As Robert said, back to watching the grass grow

Old 06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Progress here in Victorville too - SCE installed the TOU housing today, SunPower is coming Thursday to finish the box/charge cord installation and hopefully get the city inspection the same day. Then all that is left is for SCE to finish the meter install, then get the car!

Old 06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
stu+mini e
Neutral
Progress here on Long Island, too. I got my charging unit installed today.

I also know the VIN for my car. Now if the truck will only get here. I heard that the MINI Es started arriving in New Jersey.

-Stu
http://www.stuartistry.com/my-mini-e

Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 AM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
Well it's almost a full month since my last post on this thread and I finally have a working charger! The TOU meter was installed yesterday. Unlike Jethro my charger was not operational until the TOU meter was installed, the city objected to wiring it to the house meter at all. Took quite a lot of coordinating between SCE and the city to finally get all the pieces in place. I have had to deal with all sorts of illogical bureaucreatic assertions such as 'We need to upgrade all the transformers in your neighborhood' or 'We can't release the meter to SCE because the CPUC only allows one per address' Even though I believe all the individuals I dealt with truly wanted to help- from a system and procedure standpoint, none of these entities were ready to handle this situation. Hopefully it will now be easier for the next person who tries to do this in my neighborhood.

Now I am past all that and I am very happy to be free of the tyranny of the 110v charge cycle- that was driving me nuts! Best wishes to all the other Pioneers who may still be working on this or waiting for cables (or maybe I was the last one!)

- Scott

Last edited by GoDucks; 07-08-2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Jethro
1st Gear
Great News Scott!

Hi Scott....happy to hear you're up and running. SCE in our area was really on top of things with the TOU Meter. I'm in Long Beach, CA. Also, just to clarify, our charger was not functional until the TOU meter was installed.