MINI E Talk (2010) Discussion of the electric, zero-emissions field trial MINI. Only 500 to be leased by MINIUSA!

Charger installation - status, questions, lessons learned etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 AM
fiestycolumbian
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No second meter :(

Turns out, I wont be getting the second SCE meter.
My charging station is plugged directly into my main electric panel, so to get the second meter, I would have a seperate timer box and subpanel to house the breaker powering the charging station. That will cost me money to change. I asked Mini, and they will not cover that.

The way Jethro setup his system is the way SCE needs it to be setup.
For anyone who wants to go this route, should definitely setup the meter housing, and breaker housing before the charging station is installed.

Mini, frorm everything I have gathered, is only covering any upgrade to your current electrical panel, not any extra subpanel, or any extra wiring conduits, etc. I think thats why a lot of people are dropping out.

Jill, from SCE, was very helpful, and even called CFCI and my electrician to figure out the possibilities.

fiesty

Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM
rphooper
1st Gear
I was thinking for those people for whom the cost of running a wire a long distance is the main obstacle, and are DIY inclined.
Why not self contract, most areas allow the owner of a home to do their own electrical work, just fill out the paperwork, and run all the wires yourself, then hire a electrician as a subcontractor to finish the work, by attaching the ends.
I think a lot of the costs is the time the electrician has to spend running the wire, which most anyone could do.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:20 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
RP you are correct - most of the cost is in the labor for crawling around in the attic - although I understand copper wire is not cheap and someone guessed I'm probably looking at $200-$300 just for good-grade wire.

I like to think of myself as a handy guy. But I've seen what electrical fires can do. While I would just be stringing wire and leaving the hard work to the contractor - this is a high-voltage, high-amp line that runs right over my kids' bedrooms. I don't trust myself that much.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:57 AM
rphooper
1st Gear
Steve,
I can understand you, I just wanted people to be aware of the option. You should only do what your comfortable with.
Robert

Old 05-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Greg802
1st Gear
Just received a call from Clean Fuel and my installation is set for next Thursday. I am in the south Orange County beach area so maybe others in that area will also have the e box installation next week.

Received this update from mini

"As of the end of last week on the west coast, we had 94 customer signed contracts with 32 wall boxes already installed and dozens of appointments on the schedule for initial inspections and wall box installations."

Way below 250 West Coast mini's. I wonder how many have not received installation contracts yet. It seemed that almost 200 peolple raised their hands at the May 5 LA event to indicate they were getting a mini?

We were on the fence before the May 5 "party", but were very impressed by the professional event BMW organized, not to mention seeing and touching the mini e.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:11 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Greg802
Just received a call from Clean Fuel and my installation is set for next Thursday. I am in the south Orange County beach area so maybe others in that area will also have the e box installation next week.
Kristine must be busy today, as I just got a call from her too. My installation is scheduled for next Friday morning here in Victorville.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
More MINI-E press. From today's LA TIMES.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2672102.story

Old 05-15-2009, 12:11 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
It seems slow here the last few days so I'll update my installation.

Paul and Andy from Sunpower just now left my house after installing the charge box and timer. I had talked to Kristine (CFCI) last week about taking advantage of Edison's Time of Use program, so I thought that was taken care of, but the word had not gotten to Paul and Andy so they weren't planning for the necessary timer and subpanel install too. Fortunately they had the hardware with them so they were able to do it, but if anyone plans to go with Edison's program, make sure the installers know ahead of time!

This does cost you $500 so you have to decide if it is worth it to you. The advantage is that you can monitor exactly how much electrictity you use to charge the Mini E, and you are billed a lower rate for that usage. Plus, if you plan to buy an EV in the future, you'll already have the necessary hardware for the Time of Use program. Of course this only applies to Southern California Edison customers.

Edison is coming out next week to install their TOU meter, then comes the city inspection, then hopefully the charge cords will be available, and finally I can get the car!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:06 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
I have pretty much the same story as Stan. A little miscommunication with SCE, but today I think I got through to the right people and they have ordered the Time of Use equipment. My contractor has temporarily connected the charger to my main panel so the charger is theoretically operable. However they will install the subpanel once Edison puts in the meter housing- after that then it's the city, then the charger cable waiting game. At least the wiring runs are complete and the box is on the wall so that's the majority of the work.

- Scott

Old 05-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Greg802
1st Gear
Andy from CFCI installed my charging box yesterday, May 14th. It took him about 2.5 hours and mine was a relatively easy, no extra charge installation. I decided against the extra time of use meter, at least for now.

He said I was the 3rd install he had done. Others were in Costa Mesa and Victorville. He was going to Orange after my install in Laguna Beach, and to Long Beach the next day. Sounds like each installer does 2 or 3 per day?

He did not know the timing on the cable, but I would think we could get the Mini e and charge it the old fashoin way on a regular plug until the 240v cord is approved.

I hope the end of the month delivery of the car estimate made by BMW at the May 5 event is true, but I think mid June is more realistic.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Soareyes and GoDucks - a little clarification on the $500 charge for the TOU program. Does that go to Edison for the extra meter, or to CFCI for the subpanel and timer?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:39 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
I haven't been told that there will be a charge. Maybe becase I have a simple installation which is still within their allowance- or maybe because they haven't told me. I believe though it would go to CFCI. And unlike most aspects of the field trial, this is something you can calculate an ROI on. For example if I go 10,000 miles at 3 miles/khw and the program saves me .15 per kwh then I would about break even with .$500 in savings

Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ElectroBoy
Soareyes and GoDucks - a little clarification on the $500 charge for the TOU program. Does that go to Edison for the extra meter, or to CFCI for the subpanel and timer?
My understanding is that it goes to the subcontractor that does the installation, which in my case was SunPower, but CFCI will bill me as I didn't pay anything today. My contract from CFCI stated $0 for the standard install, so this $500 is for the extra hardware (subpanel and timer) and time needed to install it. Edison doesn't charge anything for the piggy-back meter or its installation.

If I hadn't opted for the TOU program, Andy and Paul could have just hooked the charger up to the 240V wiring I already had in the garage, put the extra circuit breakers in my existing panel, and it would have been done in maybe an hour. With the extra work, they were here close to 4 hours. Fortunately they had the time to do this today.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still exploring the option of installing the charger at work. It's looking promising so far - the building owners are willing to explore it (apparently they are also doing a much smaller test with Toyota - I'm guessing a plug-in Prius) and CFCI will schedule an inspection - though they are pretty busy with actual installs these days! Don't want to jinx it but Im cautiously optimistic.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
I finished the program for tracking shared charging stations for MINI-E drivers. Send me an PM for login info.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Juiced
1st Gear
When your panel is on one end of your house and the garage on the other, the electrical service upgrade for the charger is a piece of cake Charger and cord installed yesterday!

Happy Motoring

Attached Thumbnails Charger installation - status, questions, lessons learned etc.-minie-elec-install.jpg  
Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Yikes! Maybe we should have a competition for the most expensive install, with BMW covering the cost for the winner

Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 PM
rphooper
1st Gear
Juiced,
You get my vote for most dedicated, can I put that picture on my blog site?
BTW by cord installed I assume you mean the power to the charger, not the power cord to the car we are all waiting for.

Robert

Old 05-20-2009, 02:55 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Robert, my understanding from Nadine the West Coast Rep as of yesterday is that THE CABLE ISSUE IS RESOLVED. They are starting to install the cable. I believe there's at least one other blogger who has received the cable already.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
Juiced -- you get my vote too!

Old 05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Here is a recap of the latest "Plugged In" email I just got:

They currently have about 150 charge cords which will go to the west coast pioneers, with car delivery starting next week. The rest of the charge cords are due later in June/July. Those that don't get the charge cords right away can start taking delivery of the cars the second week of June (east coasters and the remaining west coasters). They will use 110V charging till the charge cords arrive. Everyone gets one month free lease to compensate for the delay! All cars must be delivered by June 30 for BMW to get CARB credits.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Juiced
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rphooper
Juiced,
You get my vote for most dedicated, can I put that picture on my blog site?
BTW by cord installed I assume you mean the power to the charger, not the power cord to the car we are all waiting for.

Robert
Actually they installed the charger and the power cord to the car. Now all I need is a car to attach it to. Feel free to use the image...

Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Tim07040
1st Gear
I received my CFCI contract today, for the garage of a neighbor that I was going to rent, and they want to charge me $612 for the extra effort. And the panel, in the basement under the garage, has room for a new circuit, so they just need to run a line up through the wall and across the ceiling of the garage. I really thought this was the kind of expense MINI was covering... I mean, how many people have a 240 panel in their garage right next to where the car will be? That seems to be the only type of install they are not charging for.

Last edited by Tim07040; 05-21-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:52 AM
stu+mini e
Neutral
I finally got my contract. No charge. I'm one of the lucky ones with the panel in just the right spot. (My hat's off to Juiced.) However, being in New York, a "charging cable dry state," I'm going to have to make do with a 110V cord for a while. More about this on my blog. Test drive review and pics coming to the blog soon.

-Stu
http://www.stuartistry.com/my-mini-e

Old 05-21-2009, 04:09 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
I agree with Stan's approach re: prioritization, longer commutes should prevail. But I wonder how much prioritization will need to occur. Even though my wall box is in, there is still a chance that between SCE, my city, CFCI and the contractor, that the TOU work won't be done and/ or the inspection won't take place in the next couple of weeks. It seems possible that they wouldn't have many more than 150 West Coast lessees that are 100% ready to go at the point that they have to punt and deliver the car with the 110v cable.

Quick Reply: Charger installation - status, questions, lessons learned etc.