Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Scam????

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 05:12 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-18-2004, 05:19 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I can tell you for sure the third link that intake is a POS. Besides its your car, your mini, don't you want quality on your car? I have a PROMINI intake on my car and its great and came well packaged, constructed, and backed up by the company. That $20 POS is probaly made totally of plastic and a trash filter. I have seen tons of people selling odd parts on ebay for many cars and most are crap.

A friend of mine purchased what looked like a nice set of chromed headers for a Toyota Matrix, only to find out they were total crap. Its up to you, but I like to buy something I can trust. After all its a car to get you around, not some cheap part to fix a brown spot in the lawn.

If I came off to harsh, I am sorry. I'm sure you were just curious if anyone else saw these and what they though.

Just my two cents.

Old 10-18-2004, 05:23 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
The short shifters are ripoffs of the B&M short shift kit, BUT these cheap versions are cast instead of CNC lathed, bent, etc. What you are getting is basically a deal where someone took the BM part, made a mold and pours metal into the mold to get the copy. They are prone to random failure where the material does not 'knit' together as it cools. It's a cheap process that yeilds crappy parts. More importantly these companies are copying someone else. B&M is aware of the copy cats and is taking legal action against the parties.

The intake is a cheapy too. The filter element is most likely a poor quality unit that may actual perform worse than the stock one. The metal tube is fairly decent. I would think that a tube is a tube as long as it is not kinked or has major interior deformations. Most likely the part is a knock off of the KN typhoon intake for the MINI.

Just my thoughts.

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 10-18-2004, 06:14 PM
littlehandegan
ok thanks

Old 10-18-2004, 06:18 PM
littlehandegan
Has Any1 Purchased These Oroducts Wat Did U Think, Im On A Tight Budget , And Have Decide To X Out That Intake.any1 Purchased These ?

Old 10-18-2004, 06:27 PM
IamRascal
1st Gear
the metal piping is probably fine, as well as the connector. But I WOULD NOT trust the air filter. You can probably get away with the aliminum piping and everything else. But slap a K&N on the end of it.

BUT I would not trust the knockoff shifter, that's messing with your transmission.

1 thing to remember tho is when you pay for quality your getting an engineered piece, not a garage special...

Old 10-18-2004, 06:45 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Has Any1 Purchased These Oroducts Wat Did U Think, Im On A Tight Budget , And Have Decide To X Out That Intake.any1 Purchased These ?
if you are looking for a short shifter, go for a pilo, i believe they are only 65 dollars US! great value, and so far it has not failed

intake wise, you might want to try the marketplace or the pilo cai, costs 120 and u know ur getting a quality part when people on nam seems to support the pilo

Old 10-18-2004, 07:09 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Don't forget the Helix short shift kit for $44.95

Their kit retains the proper shift **** position in addition to shortening the throw.

Old 10-18-2004, 07:10 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
uhmmm, sorry to make this call and no offense Dan, but I am fairly certain that the Pilo SS kit is from a similar source. I beleive it is a cast part as well knocked off the B&M kit....And if I'm wrong, I'm sorry. I don't mean to sling mud.

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 10-18-2004, 07:17 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Interesting. Some things are good on Ebay, and some are not.

I had a real problem with one of the Cold Air Intake suppliers...from a place called Divizione.com Don't EVER deal with them...I never got half the stuff I had ordered, plus they outsourced from some fly-by-nite place in Cali [and THEY are in TX]! When I complained, I was ignored, and then received bad feedback when I was the one who had gotten screwed! In the end, however, I DID order from another company that manufactures their own products and not only received another cold air intake with a metal mandrel, but a good filter, lubricant for it, and a metal heatshield---and a warranty. They even have a support number with a real person!

I am happy with most of the non-mechanical stuff I have bought there. However, for a catback system, or brakes, etc.,stick with a reputable supplier. In that respect, I have learned a valuable lesson.

Old 10-18-2004, 07:47 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OutMotoring
uhmmm, sorry to make this call and no offense Dan, but I am fairly certain that the Pilo SS kit is from a similar source. I beleive it is a cast part as well knocked off the B&M kit....And if I'm wrong, I'm sorry. I don't mean to sling mud.
really? because if it was the same mould... it would be the same throw.... i thought pilo as advertised was 40% reduction, not 25 as per the b&m

what i do know is that it isn't cnc lathed
"The Short Shifter is made with high strength billet steel and nickel plated for ultra low friction and corrosion resistance"

so what does 'high strength' billet steel mean in terms of strength compared to cnc anyways?

o well it hasn't failed me yet... good thing i only spent 60 bucks on it, easy to get a new one if it starts to break anyways...

Old 10-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree with the Helix short-shifter extension; inexpensive and effective.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:00 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also see THE HAI Intake thread.

--
Cheese

Old 10-19-2004, 08:31 AM
jinubob81
4th Gear
yup on the pilo SS kit.

email the ebayers and they'll tell you the SS kit's are from Meghan, which is where pilo's kit is from.

Oh well. If you really like pilo kit, save yourself 30 bucks and buy it on ebay.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:03 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
o great... now im startin to wonder should i just take it out! if it's gonna break and you guys are managing to convince me that it sux and its gonna break! grrrrrr

where is minipilo when u need him?

Old 10-20-2004, 07:26 AM
jinubob81
4th Gear
i dunno... ever try to break a cast piece of metal with your hands?

i think they're more worried about the weaker and smaller ends of the ss kit, but i dont think you're gonna break the bastid unless you really put your buttocks into it.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:10 AM
moonman9j9
2nd Gear
Bomz Intake.

Hi guys, first post here!

I have that intake. There's nothing really wrong with it, you just have to buy some hose clamps to really complete the installation as it doesn't come with any (WHY?!).

You can go to the website of the manufacturer and I believe that very same intake sells for $150, if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.bomzracing.com

Old 10-21-2004, 08:09 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Nothing better for a tight budget than the HAI.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&highlight=HAI

BTW I saw a B&M for 107 on ebay last night...doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:15 AM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
I'm running the equivalent of the cheapo intake and bought the K&N filter. The pipe and silicone hoses are worth the purchase price. Whether you want a pos filter on your car is up to you.