Mid-South MINIacs (Memphis Area) The MINI club for the Memphis area and the greater Mid-South. Mid-South MINIacs is proud to be partnering with "AMOK"-Arkansas MINI Owners Klub as they grow to become Arkansas' premier MINI klub! Visit our club site at www.midsouthminiacs.org

Memphis Motorsports Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:47 PM
TLMCS05
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memphis Motorsports Park

Hi gang, need a little local input..

I have a friend/customer who is looking very seriously at this property. Anyone here visted there in the past? Attended any events prior to its untimely closing?

God/bad vibes ? Interest in possible track, HPDE, AX events if it were to be upgraded and reopened?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Old 04-16-2010, 02:04 PM
L8Apex
2nd Gear
We have a local SCCA club with a strong attendance usually at the races they've put on in the past, upwards of 150 cars competing. Usually had 2-3 races a year. The SCCA club also held autocrosses on part of the course several times a year, until the management started screwing with us. We also had a rallycross out there, but that's still a small program here. The Porsche club in town held 2 HPDEs a year and several autocrosses too. There were countless NHRA drag race events; seemed like nearly every weekend was a championship of some sort. And a few circle track events that brought a crowd. There were also car shows, but I'm not too familiar with what they did.

The previous management started to let the track fall apart. There was one section of the track that started to get roughed up a bit and they didn't want to repair it. It was just a small section and I'm sure it wouldn't take much to repair. I'm not sure, but I think they took better care of the drag straight.

The track layout is a little basic. LONG straight (also the drag straight), long right decreasing radius carousel, short straight, section called the "M"s (left, right, left, right, left), medium straight, 2 90s (left then right), medium straight, hard increasing radius right, back onto straight. The paddock area could easily accommodate all of the participants and visitors. The concession stand usually had good food.

If your friend does decide to purchase the property, they'll have the interest of at least 3 major organizations. If you want more input, these sites are all local and most of the racers/participants are on there or know how to get in contact with other people:

http://www.memphisracing.com/vb/

http://www.midsouthscca.org/

http://www.pca-msr.org/

http://www.rivercitybimmers.org/

http://www.memphismusclecars.com/

Last edited by L8Apex; 04-16-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM
TLMCS05
3rd Gear
Perfect input!
Thanks! We have been discussing completely redoing the road course and this info will be a huge help. Key points are separating it from the drag strip, and possibly do a "drivers choice" input search prior to the new config. IE a course layout using the favorate turns from multiple tracks around the country, based on our input as drivers.
Sounds like the regional interest would be high on a quality course properly managed. We have gotten very positive response from other groups and might even put the dirt track back as well.

If you do not mind we will probably touch base with you from time to time if this gels out. Still in the due dilligence stage but odds are above the 50-50 point now.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 AM
gflint
Neutral
This is great news. Although autocross continues in the area at other venues, there is nowhere closer than Nashville or Birmingham to have a DE. I'm with the River City Bimmers chapter of the BMWCCA and always felt that the autocrosses held on the back side of the road course were the best in the area.

Honestly DE's here were little more than a convenience. The course setup didn't seem conducive to much outside of endurance testing brake pads. I believe that there is enough interest among the various segments of motorsports enthusiasts in the area to make the purchase viable. At least I hope so!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM
mini stig
1st Gear
I raced a the dirt track from 2003 until the closing of it at the end of 2005 and it was one of the best tracks within 200 miles and it was always packed with fans. I also was an instructor with the race-on driving experince from 2005-2006 on the asphalt circle track and the track really looked a lot older then it was. The garages were not well maintained and the paint on the pit walls was chipping but the racing surface was well maintained and smooth. I didnt spend much time at the drag strip other then a few test and tunes with friends, but it did give young people a place to run their cars against each other and not do it on the street. I never saw the road course in use because these events were rarely advertised. Back to the dirt track most of the drivers that raced there are still around but like me have to travel at least 70 miles to race, so a dirt track would be welcomed. For imput you could go to http://www.midsouthforums.com as there is a lot of local dirt track fans that are on there.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
TLMCS05
3rd Gear
Thanks again for the input guys! Project remains very viable for him and his group thanks to this level of response from several racing groups. NHRA officials were very excited as well. He even met a company at the track to get a price for lighting the oval for night races.
He is serious about making the local racer / fan part of the process, wants a top flight facility with a stong local base of support.

I will keep you guys posted as the process continues...
Tim

Old 06-13-2010, 01:21 PM
TLMCS05
3rd Gear
Well, things on hold due to last months floods, claims, insurance issues. Cost to reinsure may be more than facilty cost :(