JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Shift Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Shift Indicator

Hey all -

Well, with production number in hand I am looking at some dealer-added options and deciding whether they merit a place on my new MINI due in late January. One that I am curious about is the JCW Gear Shift Indicator. Now, I have not driven an automatic car since high school and even my current (soon to be retired) car is a 5-speed Ford Explorer - so I know my way around a clutch and stick. On some level, this indicator has a certain "cool" factor but I am wondering whether this is really nothing more than an "idiot light" for those learning to use a manual transmission.

Should I spend / waste my money on this?

The one thing that I did not order yet (but will remedy) is the JCW Strut Brace. I am not sure about adding this to my order as well.

Any opinions?

Bill

Old 12-03-2005, 04:24 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jersey_Bill
One that I am curious about is the JCW Gear Shift Indicator.
Save your money. Its JCW Crap to take your money. It could possibly be of use if your racing, cant watch the TACH and need to know via color coding when to shift.

Other than that, its expensive bling bling

btw, your ordering a covertable with JCW suspension. I thought they didnt allow that or had a fix for covertables yet?

Old 12-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll second the suggestion to ignore this accessory and spend your money on something useful.

It might be helpful if you are teaching someone to drive a stick, but most of us with even a little bit of experience driving a manual transmission can tell when to shift either by feeling/listening to the engine or looking at the tachometer.

As far as I am concerned, all MINI's come with a shift light. . . it is the illuminated redline in the tach!

Old 12-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Save your money. Its JCW Crap to take your money. It could possibly be of use if your racing, cant watch the TACH and need to know via color coding when to shift.

Other than that, its expensive bling bling

btw, your ordering a covertable with JCW suspension. I thought they didnt allow that or had a fix for covertables yet?
Thanks for your comments - I want a "full-on JCW convertible" but this seems like a toy to me. Think I will pass....

I had the same understanding of the JCW suspension as you but my dealer promises me that it is no problem to install it. In fact, he said that they have done a couple of other convertibles with JCW suspension.... I suspect that the prohibition (related to frame flex I believe) is really not that big an issue with the convertible. Anyway, will let you know how it goes....

Bill

Old 12-03-2005, 06:09 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Anyway, will let you know how it goes....

Bill
Sounds good.

Now that you will have a full JCW car, you will be needing these bits when they come out next month!

http://motoringfile.com/2005/10/19/2...s_accessories/

Old 12-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Sounds good.

Now that you will have a full JCW car, you will be needing these bits when they come out next month!

http://motoringfile.com/2005/10/19/2...s_accessories/
Man, I want that leather dash....

Bill

Old 12-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Thanks for your comments - I want a "full-on JCW convertible" but this seems like a toy to me. Think I will pass....

I had the same understanding of the JCW suspension as you but my dealer promises me that it is no problem to install it. In fact, he said that they have done a couple of other convertibles with JCW suspension.... I suspect that the prohibition (related to frame flex I believe) is really not that big an issue with the convertible. Anyway, will let you know how it goes....
Be careful. JCW themselves do not support their suspension in convertibles, period. Just because your dealer will do it does not mean that other dealers will recognize the warranty on it.

Anyway, I'm not saying don't do it, just watch out. You can email JCW directly if you want clarification - they are pretty good about responding to emails within a day or two.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:19 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
... You can email JCW directly if you want clarification - they are pretty good about responding to emails within a day or two.
This is true. In fact, I have just called them when I had a question. Just pick up the phone and confirm