Jcw map sensor , can a standard S map work ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 12:55 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 611 Likes on 482 Posts
Jcw map sensor , can a standard S map work ??

I'm chasing down a limp mode issue when I go full throttle in my 2011 r59 jcw n14..
it throws a p0071 but everything I read says that sensor should not cause limp mode. My outside temp readings WERE about 30' above normal so it very well may be bad but it doesn't add up..
I'm leaning more towards the map sensor being bad SO my question is , what happens if I install a standard S map sensor ? Will I loose performance or not even correctly run at all ? Or will it just limit my max boost to that of a standard S ?? If the only issue is a few psi loss to that of a standard S I'm willing to run one until I can track down the correct jcw one id need.. but I'd hate to buy one and have it not be the issue even..
any help would be much appreciated guys..
BTW, the car is 100% stock , 117k miles..

Old 01-30-2024, 04:48 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,386 Posts
All the pressure sensor have a different pressure / voltage output scale, so they are not interchangeable. With the JCW, you need JCW sensors.

Bookmark this site: https://bmwfault.codes/

P0071 points to the ambient temp sensor, which is located under the bumper on the passenger side below the fog light. Its possible the sensor has gone bad, or the wiring connection is loose or corroded.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
+1 Yep they are even marked JCW on the sensor that are not shared.

That temp sensor is on the bottom of the bumper and pokes its head out of the one of the holes.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-30-2024, 06:44 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Double post , sorry

Last edited by MiniManAdam; 01-30-2024 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:48 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Thanks for the info guys... could someone help me find a jcw map sensor encase it does need replacing ? And it might be nice just to have an extra one on hand anyways...
also , any input on a bad aat causing limpmode/power cut ???
I've just never experienced the 2x being related , if anything, the aat is usually tied in with the dash/gauge and shouldn't effect anything other than info display. Because doesn't our map or mafs determine the incoming iat ?
gonna hopefully snag an aat sensor from the salvage yard and see if that has any change...
My buddy also gave me 4x bnib bosche coils to atleast use until my Dinan coils and step colder plugs arrives because I did need to travel pretty far on Friday and Sunday so I was hoooooooping to take the jcw but I won't if I can't even got wot without getting power cut. I just don't feel comfortable doing so and definitely don't wanna F something up more. I'm really falling for this car actually. I didn't think it would pull me away from my built r53 as fast as it has..lol

Old 01-30-2024, 07:10 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 403 Posts
https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2010-...rs/MAP_Sensor/

that should put you where you want to be on sensors, find the one you need, google part number if they dont have it. I would use stock coils with NGK plugs on the N14, just my opinion and what i ran for 3 years on mine. Might want to carbon blast those intake valves as well when you do the timing, or when you get a chance at that mileage. Just trying to help you go ahead and cut out chasing misfires, it really isnt hard to do, just takes time and the initial cost of everything needed.

Last edited by Jason Cornelius; 01-30-2024 at 07:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 07:36 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniManAdam
Thanks for the info guys... could someone help me find a jcw map sensor encase it does need replacing ? And it might be nice just to have an extra one on hand anyways...
also , any input on a bad aat causing limpmode/power cut ???
I've just never experienced the 2x being related , if anything, the aat is usually tied in with the dash/gauge and shouldn't effect anything other than info display. Because doesn't our map or mafs determine the incoming iat ?
gonna hopefully snag an aat sensor from the salvage yard and see if that has any change...
My buddy also gave me 4x bnib bosche coils to atleast use until my Dinan coils and step colder plugs arrives because I did need to travel pretty far on Friday and Sunday so I was hoooooooping to take the jcw but I won't if I can't even got wot without getting power cut. I just don't feel comfortable doing so and definitely don't wanna F something up more. I'm really falling for this car actually. I didn't think it would pull me away from my built r53 as fast as it has..lol
Take everything about how you think engines and ECU controls operate, and throw about 80% of that out the window. The engine controls will use almost every piece of data the car collects, either for operation or diagnostics.

The Dinan coils will be fine for the car, as long as they are new. No way I would install used coils on my car. Also, the JCW already uses 1-step colder plugs compared to the S model. So look at what was given to you and compare against the OEM JCW plugs. Make sure the plugs are not 1-step colder from JCW, or else they will foul and cause more misfires. Only when you get tuned will you want to run NGK 1422 plugs. The 1422 plugs are 1-step colder than the JCW rating, and 2-steps colder than the S rating.

Old 01-30-2024, 02:17 PM
david7268
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I installed an S sensor on my JCW by mistake. Had boost issues and boost plausibility code along with it. Boost would just drop off completely when wide open throttle. Bosch makes both the OE sensor that says JCW on it and the “aftermarket” one that doesn’t say JCW. Just look for the part number off the old sensor.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-05-2024)