F55/F56 20K 2016 JCW Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 05:38 PM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
20K 2016 JCW Refresh

We have owned this mini since 2017 - a simple hardtop JCW that is a blast to own. Initially upgraded the shifter to a short shifter, customer ****, NM lowering springs and and their rear heavy sway bar. We put on a Dinan Elite box and have had a blast. Now time it is out of warranty an time for some updates. I have a JCW pro exhaust going in, power flex black lower bushing, NM brake lines (Flush needed so why not), big pair going on… for now. Next time new clutch and wavetrak LSD…I really thought I’d need to change out to coil overs but the NM alpha + stock shocks has been pretty good. No doubt will change in future but for now pretty good.

Will use this thread to document - for now the Mini replace my S2000 on the lift and this week starts some of the basic changes. Also will be pulling the DME, get rid of the Dinan Elite, and put in the Dinan Flash Tune - a straight trade-in if you do the work yourself.

So it begins.

Old 03-02-2023, 02:32 PM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
OK brief update and pics below…The JCW Pro exhaust install was pretty simple, thought I now have a 7 year old JCW exhaust on the side of the house. Used the Vibrant exhaust clamp (longer, stronger, better), installed the Big Pair from Cravenspeed. Mechanical part easy and quick. Wiring requires you run from back to front - not hard and used some threads from here but time consuming. No way would I have been able to be successful in connecting to the fuse box without the threads from here - definitely pull out the blue “tray” and used the pics for reference to find the right plug-in spots for wires and fuses. When done, controller paired up immediately and sounds great - though have only run on the lift.

Also pulled the old Dinan Elite and sent in to Dinan. They have a great video that is helps a lot and honestly not too hard to get to the DME. Sent in DME and old Dinan Elite and they flashed the DME with a 93 octane Stage 1 Tune and sent back the same day they received it (Sent out Friday, received DME back Wednesday). Great to work with Dinan, able to talk with someone - and they did the flash for “free” since I was original purchaser of the Dinan Elite. Really curious to see how this tune works - finished re-installing and putting engine bay back in order today.

Also replaced my 2016 brake lines with NM Stainless lines - dirty job even with a lift, and the space to work with is quite tight. Definitely recompress the tension spring clip to ensure tight tension on hard line nut screw. Motive Pressure bleeder makes flushing super simple just make sure you have the European adapter.

Waiting on my brake pads and sensors - FedEx has been pretty poor with pushing ship dates. Once have those will be driving and bedding in new pads (EBC Red). I also installed the the Powerflex black motor bushing (pulled out the small inserts) as well as the Rennline skid plate. Living in south Florida there is always stuff in the road and realized the starter motor, wiring, and oil pan are really at risk with a standard mini- much less one slightly lowered (NM Alpha springs). Rennline skid plate is a pretty beefy piece of aluminum - though do recommend you buy some of the Grommets BMW/Mini use to attach the felt skid plate (you use these attachment points for the Rennline also) - 7 year old plastic is pretty brittle.

Finally - broke down and ordered Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers. My bump stops are seriously chewed up since I lowered on the NM springs and I knew at some point I would need/want an upgrade. Considered sticking with shocks and lowering springs…but decided to splurge and went with the Bilsteins. I’ve had KW’s before on my S2000 and pulling them off to adjust is a pain - Bilstein gets great reviews, great quality and I can access the damper - rebound setting from underneath the shock. I have RSe05 rims with a +40 offset so they work without a spacer…will see how tight they actually get. Those will go on next weekend. Been considering a Wavetrac LSD and overall not too bad a price - but don’t think I’ll tackle that install…need to find a shop. Will probably do that in another 10K miles or so when my clutch needs replacing - so probably done with updates for a while now.

Car has 20K miles, will probably use it for some fun at AutoX some time - stopped years back along with HPDE…but getting itch again. Pics below:

Rennline Skidplate

Back of Skiplate and start of JCW Pro Exhaust

DME location before removal (battery removed)

JCW Pro Valve Closed

Old exhaust next to JCW Pro

Lower motor mount - pressing out the old rubber bushing with 3 prong gear puller - works great

Last edited by FlyingScot57; 03-02-2023 at 02:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Speedy-218 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 12:13 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Looks awesome! You will love that sound.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-03-2023, 06:55 PM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
Y’all (ECS) have supplied just about everything except the exhaust which I picked up from a Florida store (somewhat local). Have my Bilstein B16 PSS10 coilovers arriving Tuesday so by weekend should be good to go.

Dropped it off the lift after getting the Dinan Stage 1 tune (93 Octane) DME back and installed, brakes have new NM Stainless, EBC pads are in and brakes flushed and bled. Sounds awesome - and can be quieted in my neighborhood. Feel good to have the engine protected by a skid plate - my s2000 has an X-brace (more like two “K”) protecting the lower engine. IMHO, skid plates should be factory standard on these cars (on GP3 if I recall).

Cannot wait to put it through it’s paces, see how the tune works as well get the brakes bedded in…FYI kept the brake rotors well within specs for both - but my rears have more wear thanks to the BMW nannies (3mm remaining). My 15 year old son has been learning to drive on this car (learn on a manual) and has practically been salivating at the work done. May pick up an S for him as a surprise and a work project - he wants to work on my 1977 280z but that will not be his driver…like the idea of a more modern car he can work on like a Gen3 Mini S. Nothing about this car is hard honestly - just a bit “fiddly” as the Brits say.

Rambling, tired, long day and glad to have the car buttoned up and running with no codes, no leaks and an awesome sound. Power TBD

Last edited by FlyingScot57; 03-03-2023 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Speedy-218 (03-07-2023)