JCW JCW used : Noob needing opinions from non noobs :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 06:33 AM
madmix
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Lowering can go a couple of ways. Some people change out to coil overs, that will run you about 1k (if you have DDC about 1500 since you will have to have the bypass), I just went with new springs and put them on myself. That cost was about 400 bucks. I dropped 1.2 inches. Some people go more but a little to aggressive for me being a daily driver.

I have also have DDC and wanted to be able to go back to softer ride for long trips, that is why I went with springs only. The only draw back is the shocks might leak later with lowering springs and DDC. Leaking shocks has been hit or miss, most people have no issues. I also put on wider tires, I went with 8 inch but 7.5 is a big improvement I stayed with 17s for ride comfort. With my modifications (less than 1k, I went all used on the forums), my car will out handle my sensibilities. What I mean by that is: it never feels out of control but my "oh crap" meter hits before the car's "oh crap" meter, the car will take more, but I won't.

I hope this helps. I love my JCW. I drive it every day and after a year I am still not tired of driving it.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:41 AM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts
Careful with lowering in canada. It looks and handles better for 6 months but the amount of snow and ice that will jam up your wheel well is crazy. Plus the inch doesn’t seem like much but you’ll be the car that bottoms out on most rural roads. I don’t recommend it. Even if you want to spend on coilovers, be prepared for maintenance to grease them or the adjustable dial can seize up. Springs may be $500 cdn for schnitzers, but about $1000 at the dealer to install and wheel balance. Less at a tuner shop Labor rate but it’s not cheap and doesn’t include end links if you need/want to fix your camber.

Depends on your budget but I was just at laval mini and they have a Dinan exhaust on sale. If you did that, an air box and an elite tune, it would sound amazing, give you the lift in power and be warrantied. If you ever had trouble with the box throwing codes and you can’t get to a dealer, you could take it off yourself until you get serviced, no problem. That’s my recommendation. I’d bet it would cost under $3000cdn.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:16 AM
madmix
3rd Gear
I would recommend purchasing a used Elite if you can. Super easy to put on won't void warranty. The quality of the new units is in question.

good point about the snow. in that case throw on a stiffer sway bar in the back that will help the handling as well. Way Motor Works has one one sale for 299 should be able to ship to Cananda.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:46 PM
chammir
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys for your input and information. Well I did call mini laval and although there is a warranty for the Dinan elite pack/tune, the tech told me that he cannot guarantee that I wont get error codes. Given my situation, going away and all, unless im able to reset an error code by myself without having to go to a bmw/mini dealer, its not an option. Maybe having the NM module on the low setting at all times with 94 gas will give me that little extra boost? (without any errors).

As far as mods go, im really after that "go-kart" feel...which tbh isnt quite there on the f56 jcw. (its still fun to drive and all but im quite disappointed in that regard). The RBS seems like an easy DIY job. I will most probably do it and see how it feels. I was reading the forum about some guy who did the rear and the front...that seems to be the right combination in order to get that go-kart feel (according to him). Lowering the car seems to involve a lot of things/mods/labor...I dont know if I could do that job on my own :( hopefully the rear and front sway bars will do the trick??

lol, I've just stumbled on this: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-my-justa.html
I'll keep reading

Last edited by chammir; 03-06-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:23 AM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Hey chammir, sounds like you have a nice wish list. Strut brace and sway bar might tighten up the chassis and body roll in the corners. From my understanding, any Dinan or NM box will give you a chance of codes. You can a reader to find out what the codes are and decide if you’re going to need to disconnect the box. Nice that the dealer is transparent, Laval told me the same thing and I also passed. Maybe a dinan sport ?

Old 03-07-2020, 12:49 PM
chammir
1st Gear
@AirborneMini003 He only mentionned the Dinan Elite to me (maybe thats the only one they have for jcw?). Yes, it's a nice wish list...I think I got excited reading too many posts on the forum lol....Now im going to get back to reality. I am willing to invest in the NM module and RSB for starters..as these are easy DIY things to do. Frankly, having paid the premium for the jcw ...as others mentionned, we should'nt have to invest an extra 3-5k$ (canadian currency and market) to make this car what it's supposed to be. Comming from a R53 and a R56, the F56 simply does not give me the mini experience I was looking for. (as in the F56, apart from the look, is not a mini to me lol) I guess it's on me, I should have done my homework... Tbh, maybe I should have been looking at a R56 (or even R53) in good condition to use mainly for summer time...and get a decent AWD for winter...who knows...maybe I'll end up doing this eventually.

You know what I loved about previous generations of mini is that I could have all the fun I wanted between 0-120km/hr with the go kart feel and I was satisfied...whereas with the F56...the fun (torque wise/engine wise) is between 75-80is to 140+ km/hr WITHOUT the go kart feeling... It's simply not the same experience...There is no point (for me) to go 140+ km/hr on the highway (given the new law where you can potentially insta lose ur license if caught doing more than 50 km/hr over the limit) .And as others have mentionned, I simply do not trust this car going too fast in twisties in its current form. (.And i do want to keep my licence lol :P )

Or maybe I could try and learn to do the RSB + FSB + lowering the car + NM module (which hopefully will give me the experience im looking for)....as others did like @madmix ...we'll see, Im not too sure that I want to dump too much money into a project like this right now...It kinda feels overwhelming to be honest. Or, as I was reading on the forum, with the new Gen around the corner, maybe they'll go back to the essence of a mini...if its the case, i might trade in my car and get a brand new one. We'll see...cuz if they dont rectify this mess, might as well be my last new gen mini (and the last time I do business with BMW!)

End of my little rant
ps: ok, maybe i'm being a drama queen, it's still kinda fun to drive

http://garage16.ca/eibach/eibach-pro...i-7474392.aspx any thought? :P

Last edited by chammir; 03-07-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:00 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
I hear you, but don’t have post purchase dissonance. It is overwhelming to see all of the options available, and it’s a slippery slope. I had an r53 as I mentioned so I know what you’re saying. I’m a little older now and my f54-S is not a factory JCW so it’s much less dynamic than yours is already, but I love it. You should go one mod at a time so you can appreciate your investment, the subtle improvement and stay in budget. No question you can make it equal or better to the driving experience you expected in a lot more refined a package. At least you have all wheel drive.

if you need some installs, service or advice, call Adam from Britcanic. He’s not far from Jean Talon market and he’s great.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:05 PM
chammir
1st Gear
Yes hehe, then first mod will be the module i guess (dinan was like 1100$ + 2hrs labor + taxes) module seems the cheapest option thanks for the contact, i will most def contact him about lowering the car (if I get to that point).

Old 03-07-2020, 03:31 PM
madmix
3rd Gear
I would never pay that for an elite. I would pay for someone to tune it first, the cost to fun ratio is just not there. The big one braces for craven speed really makes a nice change to the JCW.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:40 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
As far as mods go, im really after that "go-kart" feel...which tbh isnt quite there on the f56 jcw. (its still fun to drive and all but im quite disappointed in that regard). The RBS seems like an easy DIY job. I will most probably do it and see how it feels.
I added the NM 25mm bar and end links along with the Cravenspeed Big Pair. That combination made a huge difference without killing the ride. It tightened up the handling and made a noticeable improvement in rigidity. I have the Dinan Elite and, despite a few issues with codes, it has gotten much better and does make a big improvement in power.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:39 PM
chammir
1st Gear
@rtowell kool, thanks for feedback. here's what I'm planning : 1) RSB (didnt know about the end links, i'll have to read on this), 2) cravenspeed big pair, 3) either NM module or racechip or whatever...basically the cheapest one I can get a hold of( dinan wayy too expensive here). By the way, the 25mm was it a hollow bar or solid?

Old 03-12-2020, 10:27 AM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
The NM 25mm sway bar is hollow. The end links come with the 25mm bar. Apparently the stock plastic links aren't strong enough for the bigger bar. I have it adjusted to the softest setting, but it's still a noticeable improvement.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:08 PM
chammir
1st Gear
Just a quick follow up...Finally installed the NM module...and that thing is no joke lol. Although it did not really change the low end torque (meaning the car starts to really pull at approx 2.8-3k rpm still...it pulls almost all the way up to redline. I find the best combination is to put the module on low + sport mode = lots of fun High setting is a lot of fun too but for day to day driving..dont know..I kinda want to preserve my tires a little lol. Overall, for approx 300$ CND (ebay)..was pretty much worth it, 100%
Next mods, chasing that "go kart" feel I guess...

Last edited by chammir; 04-19-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:03 AM
Darbys2019MiniJCW
4th Gear
Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by rtowell
The NM 25mm sway bar is hollow. The end links come with the 25mm bar. Apparently the stock plastic links aren't strong enough for the bigger bar. I have it adjusted to the softest setting, but it's still a noticeable improvement.
You really have THREE settings... HOLES 1 & 1 / HOLES 1 & 2 / HOLES 2 & 2 although most people do just 2 adjaustments

Old 04-20-2020, 05:58 AM
chammir
1st Gear
Actually, maybe I got an older version of the module...there are only 2 settings...its 1 big plastic switch

Old 04-20-2020, 06:32 AM
Darbys2019MiniJCW
4th Gear
Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by chammir
Actually, maybe I got an older version of the module...there are only 2 settings...its 1 big plastic switch
That is the same as all of the NM Modules...I was talking about the NM 25MM Sway Bar which has 4 holes which means you can go to 1 front hole and 1 rear hole for the "Mid Setting"

Old 05-01-2020, 04:13 PM
chammir
1st Gear
Ah ok hehe. Well, I cant seem to be able to find the NM model here in Canada. Buying from the U.S ...conversion from CND to US$ ...plus shipping cost ...plus duty fees... meh :(

Anyhow, next two mods : RSB and changing the springs to lower the car a bit

Old 05-01-2020, 05:03 PM
curlywurly
2nd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by chammir
Buying from the U.S ...conversion from CND to US$ ...plus shipping cost ...plus duty fees... meh :(
I worked with a Local-to-me in BC Neuspeed/nm dealer. Parts quote in beaver bucks ended up cheaper than the USD off NM's website, converted to CAD. You might be surprised what a few calls throw up. .Bundling nm springs and the power module even more so......

The following users liked this post:
chammir (05-01-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 11:26 AM
chammir
1st Gear

Just a quick update:

Finally installed some new wheels (Motegi - MR146 SS6 - Hyper Silver) 17" at 160$ CND each versus the ones I initially wanted (einki RPF1 at 360$ CND per wheel ) I dont regret my choice tbh ...even though the website said they would fit ..they do not lol..needed 5mm spacers (without collar) in front..which gives me 1 -2 mm clearance from the brembos ...The mechanic said that 1 mm was enough...as the brembos are fixed and wont move (according to him). Plus put some michelin pilot sport 4 215/45/R17... I have to admit this changes the driving experience in a VERY good way...the tires grip like crazy..the steering wheel feels more connected to the road.....this brings me closer to a mini like experience.

My warranty runs out in november 2020... I wont be doing mods until then ...but I have to admit that the NM power module + good light wheels and tires do make a significant change for the F56 jcw ( without modding the suspension). After that, I'll see whether I go RSB plus springs (from NM) or maybe go all the way with the Eibach front + rear SB + springs...

ps: the car is a little dirty hehe...just wanted to show the wheels because 1) most of the info posted on this site is about kinda expensive/custom wheels...So I was glad to find cheap/decent wheels that would "fit" and 2) I wasnt sure what color to choose for the wheels, given the dark grey color of the car...didnt want to go with black wheels for summer time.. At the end, quite happy with the wheels (price, color, quality, effects on driving experience) and the fact that I didnt have to spend too much to achieve a decent look

Wheel specs:
SKU: MR14677057442
Dimensions: 17x7 / 5x112.00
Center Bore: 66.56
Offset: 42

Last edited by chammir; 06-13-2020 at 12:30 PM.