JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Need help with P1498 Code!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 03:53 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need help with P1498 Code!!!

Hello NAM!

Ok, like a lot of the other threads I read, I too am having an intermittent SES/EML light issue. The code that comes up whenever the lights come on is P1498. So, I hit up the forum hoping to find an answer. I gathered as much info as I could...

Prior to getting the code, I had new IC Boots installed as well as a new, silicone intake hose installed - so I know those are good to go.

After getting the code, after researching the issue, I have had this work done to ry and fix the problem: I had a new EGR Hose installed, I had as many new vacuum lines installed as I could by from Mini, I had Daniel check and re-install the clamps that secure the IC Boots just in case there was an issue with them, Daniel also checked the intake hose and made sure that it was on tight and the clamps were good. Earlier today, we did a "smoke test" on it to look for any leaks. Nothing! She seemed to be buttoned up nice and tight. In fact, while the car was running for the test, the SES light actually went off! It has, since then, come back on. At this point, Daniel says he has no idea what else to do. He does not understand what's up since there is no leak he can find.

So, at this point, I do not really know for sure what else to do. I can not find anything more in the forum posts that I have not already tried or had replaced.

Currently, I am batting around two ideas and wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on them:

1. Could it be a faulty MAP sensor? Could it be giving erroneous info to the ECU? Also, could a faulty MAP be intermittent?

2. Could it be the spring in the bypass valve weakening from age and milage? Could the flap inside the valve be leaking pressure?

I really do not know what else it could be.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:31 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Ok, this is not easy to find out, at times, as it can be from several causes.
Bypass valve failure: vacuum hose disconnected or split, vacuum pot cracked or melted diaphragm, broken spring.
the air hose that sends overflow air to the engine, has slipped off the bypass valve.
A hose may have come off of the pcv on the passengers side of the engine, right behind the supercharger.
You will need to check all ares.
There are other areas too but check these first!

Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 AM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ItsmeWayne,

Thank you for the response! I am going to write your list down and take it to Daniel and have him check this stuff out. I didn't have any issues until I had him do all the work to the car. It seems having him take off the S/C to change the oil and to replace the water pump is what caused this issue in the first place.

If it actually was an issue with the bypass valve, do you think there would be an obvious performance issue? Wouldn't it effect the boost level and throttle response? I honestly feel like the car drives absolutely fine other than the SES/EML lights coming on every now and then. The main problem is I wont pass inspection here in NC!

Anyway, again, thank you for your advice! I will pass it along to Daniel.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaughn
ItsmeWayne,

Thank you for the response! I am going to write your list down and take it to Daniel and have him check this stuff out. I didn't have any issues until I had him do all the work to the car. It seems having him take off the S/C to change the oil and to replace the water pump is what caused this issue in the first place.

If it actually was an issue with the bypass valve, do you think there would be an obvious performance issue? Wouldn't it effect the boost level and throttle response? I honestly feel like the car drives absolutely fine other than the SES/EML lights coming on every now and then. The main problem is I wont pass inspection here in NC!

Anyway, again, thank you for your advice! I will pass it along to Daniel.
There is a air hose (about two inches long) connected to the bypass valve. it is difficult to put both hose clamps on it, so many shops leave it off. As soon as you get on the engine at high revs. It can blow off the pressure the super charger is making, so performance drops to a non supercharged state, meaning low to no boost and therefore lower power.
The SES/EML issue can be many different things, so trying to diagnose it from afar can be tough. So, if you are saying it has the full boost, this is not the issue.
If it is dropping into creep mode, it is a likely place to look.
You really need a good OBD2 scanner to help nail down what causes your issue. I really don't have enough information from here. Don't blame the guy, as this will get you nowhere with him. Try to work with him, to find the solution.
Note: bypass valve failure is quite common on Mini. (when the miles are high.)