JCW Help With 2017 JCW Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:59 PM
nclorax
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Help With 2017 JCW Options

Tried posting the other day so if this shows up twice I apologize.

Started with a 2005 R53 and thinking of getting a 2017 JCW 2Door Hardtop.
So a couple questions to help decide what options to get.

Dynamic Damper Control at the sportiest setting is it less firm, same, or more firm than just the sport suspension?

17 or 18 inch wheels. I had 17 inch on old car. Concerned with added weight and reduced side wall of 18 inch. Only concern with 17 inch is I plan to replace with new wheels and wonder if there will be a problem fitting around the brakes. Any thoughts?

Heads up or instrument pod. Looks like the pod option has disappeared from Mini USA site for the JCW. But will ask anyway. I plan on doing a tune on the car but probably will not track it much. Should I get the pod or heads up?

Thanks for the advice.

Here is what she should look like.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Dziuna
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi nclorax,
I'm new owner to 2017 JCW and having a possibility of switching from Hard to slightly less hard suspension is great, especially on NY roads which are less then perfect.
When I zoom around town or back roads always Sport but on a highway to save my back I'm in softer mode.
You can also set up sport engine tune and Soft suspension which works perfect for highway.
About the Pods and HUD I think more things you put in a car more then things to break.
I didn't even order the Nav. (Wasn't about Money)
I have few cars and this one I will never use Nav so no need.
DO pick the premium stereo.

That is just my 2cents and my opinion on my 2017 JCW and 3500 miles I did on it.

happy Picking and then stressful waiting lol

good luck

George

Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Big difference from R53 to F56....build quality immensely better now! DDC in sport mode is around 10% softer than standard sport suspension....which I find not harsh "at all"! I wouldn't go with the DDC on the JCW even if didn't cost $500 more. If you modify suspension, you will have wasted $500! Bad roads is the reason most owners tout the DDC and that's absolutely fine, but I prefer the stiffer ride personally and like I said, it's not that stiff really. I'm past 65 years old too, so just trust me when I say the SS is fine!

I prefer the 18" wheels...larger diameter wheels just look better on the bigger F56, and ride quality is fine! You can find a few aftermarket wheels in 17", 18" & 19" (NM, TD, & ACS) but you can count on one hand the wheels that will clear the Brembos and everything else.

I just got the radio with HK sound system and I'm perfectly happy not having tons of electronics that seem to always need software upgrades! But, that being said I wouldn't hesitate going with the instrument package on the dash as I do really like real gauges...HUD I can take or leave...I have no trouble viewing the speedo & tach as positioned now, although the tach is a wee bit small in my opinion.

Good luck with your order!

Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by nclorax
Tried posting the other day so if this shows up twice I apologize.

Started with a 2005 R53 and thinking of getting a 2017 JCW 2Door Hardtop.
So a couple questions to help decide what options to get.

Dynamic Damper Control at the sportiest setting is it less firm, same, or more firm than just the sport suspension?

17 or 18 inch wheels. I had 17 inch on old car. Concerned with added weight and reduced side wall of 18 inch. Only concern with 17 inch is I plan to replace with new wheels and wonder if there will be a problem fitting around the brakes. Any thoughts?

Heads up or instrument pod. Looks like the pod option has disappeared from Mini USA site for the JCW. But will ask anyway. I plan on doing a tune on the car but probably will not track it much. Should I get the pod or heads up?

Thanks for the advice.

Here is what she should look like.
For DDC, if you're using the standard suspension from the Cooper S as a baseline; DDC is 10% softer in MID/GREEN modes and SPORT mode gives you the option to be 10% stiffer. The JCW Sport Suspension is 30% stiffer than the stock Cooper S suspension and also has a better rear sway bar. I would also agree that if you plan on modding, stick with the sport suspension.

The instrument pod is unfortunately discontinued and can no longer be optioned. The HUD however is a great piece of equipment, especially if you're going to get the nav. Information like speed, navigation, caller ID, music info, cruise control, and alerts will pop up on the HUD right in your line of sight, keeping your eyes closer to the road. On the JCWs you'll also get a gear indicator and rev counter.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM
barmybee
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
MINI’s mid cycle refresh is due later this year, with new engines and a DCT also.
Would wait for this before ordering a new one.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:43 PM
nclorax
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
can you upgrade from 17 to 18 inch wheels

If I get the 17 inch wheels that have no additional charge can I then go out and buy 18 inch after market wheels and put them on without any issues? Concern is if there is any factory setting that would limit going from the OEM 17 inch to an after market 18 inch.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:53 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem with aftermarket wheels is that most of them won't clear the front brake calipers without spacers. There are several lengthy threads here that discuss which wheels will work.