JCW F56 JCW - StudieAG Tune - in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 06:06 AM
KuMa
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
F56 JCW - StudieAG Tune - in Japan

Hey MINI fans ! I think it is about time I share a little more about my F56 JCW that I have been enjoying since August, last year, on the roads of ... Japan. Yeah not exactly the next door I know but it makes for a lot more exotic drive right ?

I love my F56 JCW, very refined, powerful, looks cool too ! (well I like to think so) Also it is a pretty exclusive ride in japan, even more in Manual trim like mine.

Yet, it is missing a little something, some sharpness, focus ... it was a little too "clinic". So I started to investigate my option to give it an extra edge.

Here in Japan, we have the chance to have StudieAG, a dedicated BMW tunner, like Dinan in the USA. StudieAG not only tunes but also is involved in the GT300 championship. They are as serious as it can get. So it was only normal I went to see what we could do to sprinkle some wasabi on the MINI.

The shop, on the outskirt of Sendai, is absolutely beautiful, clean and modern, ultra welcoming !

I exposed my vision of the tuning I wanted for the MINI and deal was done !
For a start, it needed sound ! and flair. In Japan the JCW Pro exhaust isn't imported as it doesn't pass regulations ... But the Remus V2 does ! go figure ?! So ... Remus it is, and what an exhaust !! If anything I think I love it even more than the JCW Pro. Borderline scary when it bangs like cannon in the streets of the city ... l

Next on the list, it needed some "chassi" upgrade, not that the stock sport suspension is bad, but it isn't all that great either, too soft and "so called confy" and way to high ! I long debated between JCW Pro option, and KW, the latest was the choice. V1 in fact, why not V2 or 3 ? because it would have been useless. I won't play with the settings, the guys at KW figured it out for me, and the stock valving of the KW V1 is absolutely perfect out of the box !

The ride height was set to -30mm, I just wanted the wheels to follow the fender line in an elegant manner, it was the best setting in this case.

Then was the problem of the stock anchors, I mean, wheels ... I was quite desperate, I never liked the cup spokes. Their bulge was just hideous and just not a fan of the look. Added the ridiculous weight they add to un-sprung mass they had to go ! Now, you know the drill, choosing wheels for JCW is a bit of a nightmare, and it kinda is worse here in Japan ! Sure, we have Rays, and Advan, but what if one doesn't like that style for a MINI ? Well, that has to be me ! So, I had to look somewhere else, BBS was the candidate !! In Japan, we have a special division of BBS that creates the most advanced forged wheels for the German brand, and luckily with have the RI-A ! a specific model created for SUPER GT championship class, it is nothing short of amazing , pure BBS style, 7.8kg for a 18x7.5" wheel !

They are wrapped with 205/40-18 Yokohama Fleva tires, it is the response from Yoko, to Michelin's PSS ... and even if I wanted the Michelin, these Yoko's are really good ! Only ... they are more 215's than 205 ! but on a 7.5" wheel, they just look perfect. Now came the problem of the ET ... the BBS come in ET48 but they don't clear the brakes (of course) we had to add H&R 11mm spacers in the front ... so a ET37 sounds pretty nasty doesn't it ? well ... it absolutely PERFECT ! look for yourself

The wheel is absolutely flush in the front, no rub, perfect ! The back well that is an other story ... with 11mm spacers, at max compression there will be rub on the plastic fender lining, so ...either I lower the offset, or trim the fender, I think it will be trim ! I will wait the suspension to settle, and ride some more, and see how often it is an issue really because so far, it has been ok ...

Now, last piece, the engine. At the very beginning I didn't want to do anything, but ... you know how it is, so I decided to go for a good module. I had the choice between NM, 3Ddesign (a Japanese tuner) or ... some voodoo from the German Ac Schnitzer. Yes I know, why would I pick the latest right ? That price is rape isn't it ? well yes ...and no !

Bear with me for a second ! Yes NM and others are great value for money, no doubt, but Schnitzer is a different thing all together. There is the warranty, and it isn't a scam ! Then, well it is Schnitzer, they have the pedigree to backup their price ... and they might not advertise as much out of the box as the other brands, but let me tell you, this upgrade isn't a joke ! It has a serious punch on demand ! There numbers have to be underrated ! Next, the module is quite tricky to install as it has to hack the CAN bus wiring system, where Schnitzer monitors more data to know at all time how the engine is doing, and adapt all necessary parameters. Yes, it is a lot of money, but I could do it, and was happy to do it ... those who don't want it, can't afford it, have other great options as hand ! but fact is ? I love that Ac Schnitzer grunt, and history on board of the JCW. I don't know in the US, but here in Japan, it actually adds value to the car !

Here we are, here it is, let me tell you it ride amazingly, like I wouldn't believe it could ! the combination of the chassis, and power is a pure pleasure ! and it looks gorgeous at least for me ! It is 100% what I wanted, and I can't stop wanting to drive it ...again, and again, and more.

I hope I can share more adventures with you, and sure will try to ! now, road across Japan, track-days, touge ! it is on

Thanks guys,

KuMa.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:25 AM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome KuMa! Thank you for sharing your molding story. Love the BBS wheels . Lots of clean mods done right.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:07 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
KuMa? As in Bear? Welcome to the addiction! Looks like the mod bug has already taken a big bite out of you. Beautiful car. Excellent taste on the color.
What part of Japan do you live in? I was stationed at Fuchu Air Station in the Tama Prefecture for five years. Of course that was about 45 years ago, but I loved it there.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:00 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Nice work, it looks top drawer! Are you go to put it on a dynomometer to check the horsepower it produces following your modifications. I never made it to Japan, however, we flew into Kadena, AFB, in Okinawa on a regular basis in the early 1970's.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:11 PM
KuMa
1st Gear
Hi Guys ! thanks a lot for your feedback and words, greatly appreciated !!! I really wanted to have a "focused" build not something for show, or fully track build. I want something I can enjoy everyday, jump in and drive. whether it is to the city, my favorite mountain path / canyon or track if the occasion comes. But in all cases I want the car to behave, and stay durable. That's why I went for these mods, they are not the best for everything, but the best compromise for what I like.

On the power side, I don't plan on doing a Dyno, simply because ... it won't make a difference. The car should have been tested on the same dyno before and after the changes, it hasn't so a simple read would just give me an absolute number without meaning. On the dyno, only the delta matters. Trust me I have been working on a way more serious build with my previous car, dealt with dyno a lot ... numbers are one thing, feeling is an other one.

I prefer a car that reads low but drives high and gratifies you with pleasure, than a so called dyno stallion that reads super high, but drives sluggish and feels like crap. I don't want to impress anyone, just enjoy myself

what I can quantify though, is the increase in driving pleasure the Ac Schnitzer brought to the car. Even in Green mode it drives well ! enough torque to just cruise through traffic, all gears can pass a 1500 revs ... no complaints nothing it just goes fine ! added bonus, fuel consumption went down ! In sport mode, once the engine is hot enough and the module knows it, the boost increase is ample enough that it gives you a meaty shove after 4.000 rpm a strong feel of turbocharging car ! just love it. It truely is fast, but the fat torque from bottom low to 6.000 is what makes the difference. Also, the engine doesn't feel like is getting its neck wrecked, it doesn't work hard, just delivers more. Once again added bonus, the exhaust note is now even better.

What is there left to do ? Not much really ... Intake ? still in debate, there is more to lose than to add with those air intakes. Most of stock airboxes are now damn good !
An LSD would surely make a big difference, but honestly it doesn't torque steer like a pig and still shoots out of corners like I wouldn't believe so ... no reel reason yet to pay a 3.000$ bill for something I don't need.

Last, I am leaving in north of Japan, Sendai to be precise. It is a magnificent region, full of breathtaking mountain roads, ocean coast drives ... a driver's delight !

Last edited by KuMa; 03-05-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:39 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
It sounds like you have it in hand and a plan. I was in your situation 1 1/2 years ago and went with the NM module and the JCW PRO exhaust and never really looked back and 12,000 miles of smiles later I am still happy with my choices. What great little cars these are! Enjoy your drives!

Old 03-05-2017, 03:58 PM
KuMa
1st Gear
It is indeed a great little car ! It has a soul, something many other brands didn't care giving to their products.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:33 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by KuMa
It is indeed a great little car ! It has a soul, something many other brands didn't care giving to their products.
I have to agree with you there. It's the most fun I've had in a small car since the Skyline GT I had in the early 70's. Can't really say it's more fun than the Vette, it's just a different kind of fun. You know what I mean Dan.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:16 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
I have to agree with you there. It's the most fun I've had in a small car since the Skyline GT I had in the early 70's. Can't really say it's more fun than the Vette, it's just a different kind of fun. You know what I mean Dan.
You bet'cha! It is all about smiles per mile in either one. We took the vette and drove it to one of our favorite restaurants in southern Indiana and then backroads via the Ohio River on the Indiana side back towards home. About 200 miles or so and it was a beautiful day for driving!

Old 03-15-2017, 01:48 PM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
very cool about Studie- I hear they are the place to deal with over there!. I have seen them advertise Dinan also so I guess they are a dealer of theirs as well. great pics!~

Old 03-18-2017, 11:08 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by KuMa

Even the daily rat-race starts with a morning practice smile

Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM
KuMa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by subzero05
very cool about Studie- I hear they are the place to deal with over there!. I have seen them advertise Dinan also so I guess they are a dealer of theirs as well. great pics!~
Yes indeed Studie are really, really good, cannot recommend enough ! pros all the way. As for the Dina, it wasn't available at the time for me, and even though I would have picked AcSchnitzer, that warranty ... and I just like it.

Speaking of, here is a little test of my JCW in motion in the Japanese countryside. Again, just a test, a lot more videos to come !

Last edited by KuMa; 03-20-2017 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Link problem
Old 03-20-2017, 08:46 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Sounds great decent road, but needs more twisties! Domo aregoto! Pardon my transliterated spelling!

Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM
KuMa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KYDan
Sounds great decent road, but needs more twisties! Domo aregoto! Pardon my transliterated spelling!
KYdan, thanks man ! Don't worry there will be more !! I have a lot of roads in mind, right now I have to wait for the mountain paths to be opened again (snow snow)

Old 03-20-2017, 09:19 PM
vetsvette
Nice video KuMa. Brings back memories. Gotta watch out for the White Bikes though. Looking forward to you upcoming videos.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 PM
KuMa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Gotta watch out for the White Bikes though.
Thanks sir ! You bet I do check for them ! but hey, never over the speed limit, the car is a little loud thats it and if over the speed limit, always in Mexico :P