JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Help With 2013 Mini GP Front Splitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Apex_speed
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Help With 2013 Mini GP Front Splitter

Thanks to my friends at Mini Mania for turning me onto this forum!

I have a 2013 GP and need to increase front ground clearance for a driveway with an outrageous curb (no other options and I don't want to raise the suspension height).

It looks like the GP and JCW Aero Kit front bumper main section (the painted part) and fender flares are the same.

Does anyone have any idea how much clearance I could gain by replacing the black plastic spoiler across the bottom of the bumper with an Aero Kit II part?

Also, I am told that the Aero Kit I parts are even less aggressive but am not sure if they fit on the bumper.

Does anyone have any thoughts? And yes, I do know that most people are going in the opposite direction that I am and putting GP parts on other Minis.

Here is a link to the part I'm thinking might work and one of the pictures compares it to a smaller Aero Kit I part:

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMX7...n2-R55-R56-R57

Here is what looks like the Aero Kit I parts but with no part number:

Both look less aggressive than what is on the GP.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-05-2017, 04:06 AM
Kaniyrret
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build some curb ramps to ease the angle of your driveway. Just a thought....

Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 AM
Apex_speed
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kaniyrret
Build some curb ramps to ease the angle of your driveway. Just a thought....
Curb ramps won't work. A rebuild of the driveway would but not spending $20K for what $300 worth of plastic can probably solve and much faster.

I'm hoping someone has the answer to Aero Kit I vs. Aero Kit II differences of the painted front bumper and lower lip (if any).

Old 01-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Apex_speed
1st Gear
No replies but after more research it seems that they changed the bumper cover in 2011 to a design that has trim molding above the lower grill and a 3 piece lower lip.

2011 on JCW:

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMX7...6-R58-R59-2011

Pre 2011:

Parts screen for 2013 GP and GCW Aero Kit:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_8372

Now the question becomes is part #4 less aggressive in the standard JCW version than the GP or does the GP version simply have it's own part number because of some change having to do with the #3 deflectors not present on the JCW?

Still wondering if the 2010 2-peice spoiler would fit under there.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
GP Splitter

The front bumper looks identical between the two.

I haven't seen a GP parts list to confirm whether the part numbers are different or not.

If you want to put the Aero Kit I parts on a 2013 GP, you will probably need to replace the entire front bumper.

If ground clearance is an issue, you may have to raise the ride height on the coilover / shocks. It may be already set to the highest setting, but it might be worth a look....

The only other option may be to replace the shocks / struts / springs with Cooper S units.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:51 AM
Apex_speed
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
The front bumper looks identical between the two.

I haven't seen a GP parts list to confirm whether the part numbers are different or not.

If you want to put the Aero Kit I parts on a 2013 GP, you will probably need to replace the entire front bumper.

If ground clearance is an issue, you may have to raise the ride height on the coilover / shocks. It may be already set to the highest setting, but it might be worth a look....

The only other option may be to replace the shocks / struts / springs with Cooper S units.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.
Understood on Aero Kit I.

Assuming the Aero Kit II lower front lip fits the GP bumper (it should), Does anyone know how much smaller it is than the GP version?

I don't need to get much extra clearance, just a little bit.

Raising the suspension is not an option.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:12 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Sorry you can't swap them around as the early JCW body kit lip is 2 pieces and the later one is 3. We've had people try and it will take more money and time than it would ever be worth. Not to mention the crash bar behind the bumper causing fitting issues.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Last edited by WayMotorWorks; 01-08-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Apex_speed
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Sorry you can swap them around as the early JCW body kit lip is 2 pieces and the later one is 3. We've had people try and it will take more money and time than it would ever be worth. Not to mention the crash bar behind the bumper causing fitting issues.
I assume you mean you "can't" swap them around (your post says can).

However, can you fit the later JCW Aero Kit 2 lower parts onto the GP? I assume you can as the are both 3 pieces and use the same bumper part number.

If so, any idea if the Aero Kit 2 lower lip is less aggressive than what is on the GP now?

Old 01-08-2017, 05:34 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Apex_speed
Thanks to my friends at Mini Mania for turning me onto this forum!

I have a 2013 GP and need to increase front ground clearance for a driveway with an outrageous curb (no other options and I don't want to raise the suspension height).

It looks like the GP and JCW Aero Kit front bumper main section (the painted part) and fender flares are the same.

Does anyone have any idea how much clearance I could gain by replacing the black plastic spoiler across the bottom of the bumper with an Aero Kit II part?

Also, I am told that the Aero Kit I parts are even less aggressive but am not sure if they fit on the bumper.

Does anyone have any thoughts? And yes, I do know that most people are going in the opposite direction that I am and putting GP parts on other Minis.

Here is a link to the part I'm thinking might work and one of the pictures compares it to a smaller Aero Kit I part:

Here is what looks like the Aero Kit I parts but with no part number:

Both look less aggressive than what is on the GP.

Thanks in advance!
A few years ago, I had a similar problem with a new Corvette. I found a simple and non permanent solution with the curb and I never damaged my car.

You should post a picture.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:00 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Apex_speed
I assume you mean you "can't" swap them around (your post says can).
Sorry I did mean can't so I edited it. Thanks

But going from 3pc to 3pc won't be worth any change.

If you want more clearance raise the coilovers up as that will be the easiest

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-08-2017, 07:00 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
I had 2013 GP2 and a 2013 R55 with the JCW II Aero kit st the same time. 99.9% sure that they shared the exact same front bumper and trim. You can go to realoem.com and confirm by looking up the part numbers for each.

Sorry, but don't think this is the solution to your issue. Raising the suspension slightly is probably your best bet, or maybe a small 1x2 strip of wood strategically placed at the edge of the driveway would give you added clearance.

Name:  IMG_6972l_zps32102ad3.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  83.8 KB

Last edited by JackMac; 01-08-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:28 AM
Apex_speed
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JackMac
I had 2013 GP2 and a 2013 R55 with the JCW II Aero kit st the same time. 99.9% sure that they shared the exact same front bumper and trim. You can go to realoem.com and confirm by looking up the part numbers for each.

Sorry, but don't think this is the solution to your issue. Raising the suspension slightly is probably your best bet, or maybe a small 1x2 strip of wood strategically placed at the edge of the driveway would give you added clearance.

Thanks, that is VERY helpful and pretty much answers all the questions with your picture. While the GP does have it's own part numbers for the lower lip extensions, it looks identical in your photo. The differences must be for the bolt up to the under tray and under body extensions just forward of the front wheels which are all GP specific part numbers.

Oh well. Guess I will be looking at reading the suspension which I didn't want to do.