JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Just scored an 06 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 03:56 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc08EX
Beautiful JCW Wayne! Color is absolutely stunning!

Do you have the quicksilver package? My car has the exact same silver strip on the hood.
Hi Marc,
The truth is this is an unusual car, as it has elements of several packages. It has the piano black dash and markings of the 7, the silver top and graphics of the quicksilver, and the chrono package (gauges), Cordova/black interior. I think is was an experiment more than a finite model. I really love the way this car drives. It handles beautifully, looks good and most of all, keeps a big smile on me, when I am driving it!
The interior is quite rare:

Itsme Wayne's 06 MCS JCW painted bezels instead of chrome (anti glare)

Seven dash appointment

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 06-24-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:08 PM
ItsmeWayne
I will look for that booklet!
Great thanks!
It is fun to see what people were thinking/ seeing back then.
There is so much negative out there on the gen 1s, I have had many and find the reason for the bad press is the lack of owners to maintain them according to BMW's wishes.
I rarely have the troubles that I am constantly helping others with here. I never drive them into the ground and then complain about them. I have fixed many MCS models, sell them local and people report to me that their cars are holding up. When I get calls about problems, it is usually brakes, axles, wheel bearings (damn run flat tires!)
I have had a couple where the valve train has caused issues, but not the carbon issues of the gen 2 Minis.
Of course the electrical system is complicated, due to BMW tying all of the cars management into a computer, that is clearly not meant to be serviced by anyone, including the Mini dealers! We learn with trial by fire! LOL

Old 06-23-2019, 10:25 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell

Thanks Wayne for digging up that review!

An interesting read.

I like reading the old press too and got a compilation from Brooklands Books --- it can be found cheap and it's full color.

Provides nice reading.

Unfortunately I don't have much varied experience with different MCS as I only test a couple of examples before I bought my JCW,
all I know is that it ran like a scalded dog and I was highly impressed,
and I continue to be impressed after driving it 22,000 miles!
I found the book on amazon for $8.00 and $26.99 to ship it! I guess I need to keep looking!

Old 06-24-2019, 05:28 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
I found the book on amazon for $8.00 and $26.99 to ship it! I guess I need to keep looking!
Wow, some crazy prices out there!

I guess it may be out-of-print or something because just now when I went looking I saw a bunch priced at rare bookseller rates.

There was another copy on Amazon for $15.49 + $3.98 shipping,
it's the best price I came across:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1855207346/ref=tmm_pap_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr= https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1855207346/ref=tmm_pap_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

Old 06-24-2019, 07:20 AM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
Wow, some crazy prices out there!

I guess it may be out-of-print or something because just now when I went looking I saw a bunch priced at rare bookseller rates.

There was another copy on Amazon for $15.49 + $3.98 shipping,
it's the best price I came across:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...n=new&qid=&sr=

Thanks, I ordered that one!

Old 07-02-2019, 08:44 AM
ItsmeWayne
I would add my story. I was born in the USA after WW2 was over and our troops returned home. My father brought along an English war bride. I was born in 1950 and 1952 traveled by the Queen Mary ocean liner to England. It was the first of many trips to England. We would travel there many times, as I was growing up. We always rented a Morris 1000 and I always thought these tiny cars were cool. Back home we had whales, like Cadillac, Buick and Oldsmobile. in 1964 I went to Germany for three years of school, where I acquired a Lotus. It was a European continental market, with left hand steering. Tiny little Coventry Climax 4 cylinder, Stating it was a 2 door coupe, with no real model designation. It came with a book, showing it was assembled in Germany and driven there for a few years, before I got it. This thing was so fun to drive. I got my license the day I turned 15! I was thrilled I had a 30 mile drive every day, for school. The Autobahn had no speed limits in those days, so as soon as I got on it, it was pedal to the metal, until I arrived close to where I lived. The roads from that point were twisty tiny roads, that challenged your driving skills. I went back to the USA in 1967. I was not able to bring the car back, as USA requirements for the car, could not be done at that time (USA required safety glass windshield, sealed beam headlights, miles per hour speedometer (mine had a km per hour speedo). I was sad, because I loved this car! When I got back to the USA, I really got into cars! I started with a 1956 Chevy Belair , the settled on a 1961 factory mechanically fuel injected Corvette. It was rocketship, but had no and I mean NO handling! It was actually a death trap in the twisties! My car buying was furious and I owned many American and European cars, and a couple of 1978 Toyota Supra's One NA and the other turbo, which was very quick car that handled well, but was still too big, to give me the feel of the Lotus days. I did have a 1967 Morris Garage MGB, that I adapted a all syncro electric overdrive and it handled pretty good. Just not as I remembered the Lotus. When BMW brought out the new Mini in 2002. I just smiled, but because I am quite a big guy, realizing I could never even fit into my beloved Lotus, let aside this tiny Mini. I was heart broken, so I never tried it. Move ahead to 2017. My sister said, "why don't you try to get in one!" To my surprise, I fit in! within days, I found a 05 MCS with chrono package and had to have it. I blame this car on my obsession with these little gen 1 Mini Coopers! I kept collecting them and soon had too many, so I got a dealers license and started selling them. I looked for almost a year to find a 06 MCS JCW model. I still drive it daily and daily it puts a smile on my face! I live rural and in the twisties of southern Oregon! Life is great!

My daily 06 MCS factory JCW with chrono package

It is a labor of love, to be a daily driver, but worth it!

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 07-02-2019 at 07:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ItsmeWayne:
Adam0311 (07-14-2021), Derek86 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 07:13 PM
ItsmeWayne
Thanks, I ordered that one!
My book came in yesterday. It is new old stock and the last one they had. I am glad I got it! All said and done $20

Old 07-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Marine Blue
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Great story Wayne! It’s always interesting to read about past cars and how they influence our current decisions.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:48 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Great story Wayne! It’s always interesting to read about past cars and how they influence our current decisions.
HI Marine Blue,
I know all of our history is different and it is tough condensing it into a small space, but I wanted to add, I started with small cars at nine years old!

Built from a Crosley in 1959. My first car! Ya have to love the wheel barrow rims and tires! I am 11 in this pic and grew a lot in 2 years!

Sad it is so blurry, but was taken from an old picture!

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 07-04-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling as usual!
Old 07-05-2019, 02:46 PM
ItsmeWayne
Hi Guys,
I was going through My 06 R53 today and re-found a notebook that came with my factory user/owner packet. It dawned on me, that I have never seen another one, in all the Mini's I have owned or sold. I thought I would share this, to see if others received this notebook.
Let me know!

Circle of black Mini Coopers with one red one!

Mini Motoring Journal page 1
Sadly I forgot I had it and never filled it out on an ongoing basis! Maybe I can catch it up!

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 07-13-2019 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling yet again! I sware it is not me!
The following users liked this post:
tej98 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 06:41 PM
ItsmeWayne
Nothing really new to report. Still driving it daily and have had no problems. Two speed fan is still working with the aftermarket controller.
Air is cold, engine is purring, back tires are wearing out on the inside (as usual)
The bad news is I think my key fob died again. I had repaired it and replaced the battery (which I am not sure it needed.)
I guess I will need to open the fob back up again! It is a pain to do, as they are glued shut!
It still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it!

Old 08-28-2019, 07:33 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Glad to hear everything is going well!

Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 AM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Derek86
Glad to hear everything is going well!
Thanks Derek,
I hope yours are running well and you are getting plenty of time, driving them!

Old 10-21-2019, 10:35 AM
ItsmeWayne
Hi Group,
I have been driving My 06 R53 JCW daily and I have had no issues other than the fob quit working, which I have removed and reinstalled the rear view mirror to check for corroding on the board in the mirror, which looked pristine, I replace the battery earlier in the fob and it had been working. A few months ago, I was having to get closer to the car, before the fob would work until it quit. I am at a loss, as to the cause at this point, but would love to get it going again.
I took a 600+ mile drive in Oregon, the second week in October 2019. The car drove well and I was pushing it pretty hard, as I was driving all day and it was not for fun! I was renewing Best Auto LLC, which was not active this year, as a knee replacement surgery in January, did not go well and I am still is a lot of pain. It was pain on pain trip!
If anyone has on any ideas on where to look, to fix it, please let me know. I can not keep getting on my knees to work under the dash and footwell. (both are replacement knees)
Trying to keep my JCW happy!

When you are down, the pressure adds up!

Old 10-21-2019, 12:52 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
my key fob on my R52 doesn't work either....dealer says the key is transmitting....I also took my inside mirror apart to look for corrosion....didn't find any....so I'm also at a loss as to what to do next.....I do know that I'm not paying $750+ for a new inside mirror.....

Bryan

Old 10-21-2019, 04:22 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by A383Wing
my key fob on my R52 doesn't work either....dealer says the key is transmitting....I also took my inside mirror apart to look for corrosion....didn't find any....so I'm also at a loss as to what to do next.....I do know that I'm not paying $750+ for a new inside mirror.....

Bryan
Me either Bryan! It will be a hot day in Hell, for me to pay that! I am sure there is a guy on here that can help. Meanwhile I will keep searching for a repair.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:52 AM
island trader
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hi Guys,
I was going through My 06 R53 today and re-found a notebook that came with my factory user/owner packet. It dawned on me, that I have never seen another one, in all the Mini's I have owned or sold. I thought I would share this, to see if others received this notebook.
Let me know!

Circle of black Mini Coopers with one red one!

Mini Motoring Journal page 1
Sadly I forgot I had it and never filled it out on an ongoing basis! Maybe I can catch it up!
This is what came with my MINI...It has never been filled out either. So now I think its better to keep it as is. Maybe somebody on ebay will pay $1,000. for it. LOL

The following users liked this post:
ItsmeWayne (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 09:24 AM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by island trader
This is what came with my MINI...It has never been filled out either. So now I think its better to keep it as is. Maybe somebody on ebay will pay $1,000. for it. LOL

These are the only two I have seen! Maybe better to keep it blank! I am not going to hold my breath to it's value though!
It is a cool thing, that was forgotten in the glove box! I wonder how many of these were used and have documented the history of their owners Mini?
I think, if I had bought this Mini new, I would have filled it in. I love JCW Mini every time I drive it, which is daily!

Old 12-16-2019, 12:15 AM
shimaze
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Price???

I got it at the auction for a steal of a deal, ...
And how much was this steal of a deal? In other words: How much did you pay for the car you are talking about? Steal deals and deal stealing with or without the influence of stars lacks any quantitative measurement by which determine how good the deal really was. In plain terms, how could you go thru all the information and lengthy description about the purchase and yet fail to mention the price?

Old 12-17-2019, 01:56 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by shimaze
And how much was this steal of a deal? In other words: How much did you pay for the car you are talking about? Steal deals and deal stealing with or without the influence of stars lacks any quantitative measurement by which determine how good the deal really was. In plain terms, how could you go thru all the information and lengthy description about the purchase and yet fail to mention the price?
I really did not feel it was pertinent to this group, but if you must know, I paid $3500.
I did a bunch of maintenance and upgrades. I could not tell you what that cost, but it ran great when I picked it up, but needed a bit of work to make it good for me. The year I bought this Mini, it was a steal.
At the time of purchase, these cars in perfect condition, were going for around 10K+. ( I never found one cheap enough to justify the Price (knowing they all need service). 06 R53 JCW (factory installed ) were worth a premium and took me almost a year to find a nice one. It still runs and drives great an in it's stock configuration. It is quick and handles the twisties like none of the others I have driven and I have sold almost 50 of BMW Mini's.
For whatever relevance, this is for you, I hope I have answered your question satisfactorily.
ps. This is not a track car for me, it is touring in style. I am keeping it stock! I leave the big power to the young.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:12 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
That’s a smoking deal, either back then or even today, for such a unique R53 JCW build. And what matters most is that you enjoy driving it. Hard to put a pricetag on that.

The following 2 users liked this post by JackMac:
00Mini (12-17-2019), ItsmeWayne (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 09:08 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by JackMac
That’s a smoking deal, either back then or even today, for such a unique R53 JCW build. And what matters most is that you enjoy driving it. Hard to put a pricetag on that.
Thanks, I really think the 06 R53 JCW is well designed and this is so fun in the twisties. The power is smooth on and off the throttle, I has no tendency in the turns, to throw you off the road and I drive hard in the sharp twists, the suspension is perfect for a road car. The steering is tight, but not so tight that it wears you down on long twistie roads we have here in the Northwest! I also average 30.3 MPGs (long haul)
It rocks!

Updated under hood

Sitting in my shop and out of the sun!

This makes a huge difference in driveability and dynamite with the 6 sp manual trans! so, so much fun! The street go-kart!

Old 12-17-2019, 11:01 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Wayne, I keep thinking that I may need to make a trip down to see you next year with my '06 R52 JCW for a visit.

If I still have the car, and if finances will allow it

Bryan

Old 12-18-2019, 03:20 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by A383Wing
Wayne, I keep thinking that I may need to make a trip down to see you next year with my '06 R52 JCW for a visit.

If I still have the car, and if finances will allow it

Bryan
Hi Bryan,
I would have already gone up your way, but last January"s knee replacement and a year of bad pain kept me doing most things I love. Now I am strapped with little money and have not traveled much all year. It sucks getting old!
It would be nice to get together at some point.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:43 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
I feel your pain, buddy...no pun intended

Bryan

Quick Reply: Just scored an 06 JCW