JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Just scored an 06 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:07 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I have put on over a thousand miles, since doing all the work. It runs and drives well. I had purchased a new belt tensioner, but have not put it on yet.
In the last couple of days I have started to see the P1498 code, coming on from tie to time. Since you have to dig deep to repair the problem, I have been putting it off. I am not sure of the cause, but guessing the short 1 1/4 connector hose is leaking, as the code is very intermittent.
Time will tell, but right now I need it for a driver.
I have three dead Minis that I need to get going, as I have slacked off, since the weather has me on the road for business a lot.
The three Minis needing work are all R50 models. One with a bad push button starter switch (2008), one with a bad auto tranny (R 50 convertible) and a 2005 R50 that has low compression in a couple of cylinders and now has no spark. I keep telling myself, I need to fix them, but I keep finding other work to do right now! Summer calls to me and my need to be driving the twisties has taken precedence!

Mini Mania 2017 road ride

low compression in two cylinders and now, no spark.

House we rented for Mini Mania 2017

We sell other cars than Minis, so lots to do there also. I need to find a couple more "S" models, as I am officially out of them right now. I sold off a couple of R50 convertibles and only have the 2008 with the bad auto tranny issue. I guess I will have to get into the tranny soon.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:01 PM
ssean72
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Silly question, I haven't seen many JCW cars with out the Aero package is not having the aero package a low number option? I also like the Checkmate hood stripe

Old 07-08-2017, 10:02 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by ssean72
Silly question, I haven't seen many JCW cars with out the Aero package is not having the aero package a low number option? I also like the Checkmate hood stripe
Hi ssean72,
Many gen 1 MCS JCW models do not have the aero package, as it was another option, which was expensive and many buyers elected not to add it.
Mine did not have the aero package, but pretty much everything else JCW. It also had the Seven package, with the piano black interior appointments. It is just what was ordered.
I personally like the aero package, but to add it to my car now, would not keep it original.

My numbered engine

factory front brakes

piano black (Seven), with chrono package

JCW exhaust system with stainless steel oval mufflers.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:12 AM
ssean72
3rd Gear
I wasn't trying to say it wasn't a JCW, just was saying I hadn't seen one, I absolutely love your car. I wish I was able to find one when I was looking. It is cool to see another nice car get turned back into a sweet well cared for ride! I am new to the R53 game and love my 2006 Checkmate.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:03 PM
ItsmeWayne
I knew that, I was just trying to explain, what was ordered on this car, which is a pretty expensive build.
I also like your Checkmate and if I had it, I would keep it as close to factory, as I could, but again, make some improvements that make it all the sweeter for use! It is a unique car also and worthy to keep in the best shape possible, for a daily driver.
I use my cars, as it is all that I am about. I don't want to own a garage queen, so I have to keep working on them, to keep them at a level, that makes them fun to drive.
I am also a gen 1 addict and the 2006 is the best year, along with the 05s (except fo the non factory JCW, although, you could put in everything the factory did in 2006)(but this was rarely done)
You can get your build sheet, as it came to the first owner here: http://bimmer.work/
just need the last seven of your vin.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:56 PM
ssean72
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
I knew that, I was just trying to explain, what was ordered on this car, which is a pretty expensive build.
I also like your Checkmate and if I had it, I would keep it as close to factory, as I could, but again, make some improvements that make it all the sweeter for use! It is a unique car also and worthy to keep in the best shape possible, for a daily driver.
I use my cars, as it is all that I am about. I don't want to own a garage queen, so I have to keep working on them, to keep them at a level, that makes them fun to drive.
I am also a gen 1 addict and the 2006 is the best year, along with the 05s (except fo the non factory JCW, although, you could put in everything the factory did in 2006)(but this was rarely done)
You can get your build sheet, as it came to the first owner here: http://bimmer.work/
just need the last seven of your vin.
I have used bimmer decoder a few times, I actually used it when I was looking for this car. I use mine for a daily also and like you I tinker with it pretty regularly. I had no clue about the Checkmate until After I bought the car. I am going to keep it stock for the most part, I got the car painted a and I lost my hood stripe so I am looking to replace it, but dang they are not cheap!!!! I am still on the fence about putting the side checkered decal in or not but will desire on that after I get all the little things that bug me done first... lol. My car was abused for the first part of its life but the lady that had it before me put allot of money into it before I got it, she took care of most of the big issues it had from it being neglected like she had the engine replaced a moth after she bought it, a used one but it was replaced, and the last thing she did before she had enough was a replace the Supercharger and drivers side axle. I was able to get all of the cars service history since she had it and wow it is extensive.... lol. I have but a few bucks into it since I have had it but she is driving like a new car again. The funny thing about me getting an 2006 is I was always told to stay away from them and get a 2007+ that the older ones where way under powered, well I can say this 2006 runs and drives so much better then my daughters 2007. Her car was very well taken car of its whole life and is a really nice car, I just like how mine drives so much better. I have used NAM for allot of tech info every since we bought my daughter her first 2003 R50, I love this site and most of it's members, oh ya I want to add factory options that I wish this one had like auto dimming mirror and the chrono pack

Old 07-09-2017, 10:55 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by ssean72
I have used bimmer decoder a few times, I actually used it when I was looking for this car. I use mine for a daily also and like you I tinker with it pretty regularly. I had no clue about the Checkmate until After I bought the car. I am going to keep it stock for the most part, I got the car painted a and I lost my hood stripe so I am looking to replace it, but dang they are not cheap!!!! I am still on the fence about putting the side checkered decal in or not but will desire on that after I get all the little things that bug me done first... lol. My car was abused for the first part of its life but the lady that had it before me put allot of money into it before I got it, she took care of most of the big issues it had from it being neglected like she had the engine replaced a moth after she bought it, a used one but it was replaced, and the last thing she did before she had enough was a replace the Supercharger and drivers side axle. I was able to get all of the cars service history since she had it and wow it is extensive.... lol. I have but a few bucks into it since I have had it but she is driving like a new car again. The funny thing about me getting an 2006 is I was always told to stay away from them and get a 2007+ that the older ones where way under powered, well I can say this 2006 runs and drives so much better then my daughters 2007. Her car was very well taken car of its whole life and is a really nice car, I just like how mine drives so much better. I have used NAM for allot of tech info every since we bought my daughter her first 2003 R50, I love this site and most of it's members, oh ya I want to add factory options that I wish this one had like auto dimming mirror and the chrono pack
If you go on EBay, you will find aftermarket checkmate graphics, that are just like OEM, for $29 to $55.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Decals-Vinyl...nEnNVQ&vxp=mtr
You can ask the seller for the colors you want to use, I have them make me graphics for many minis, as I buy and sell them.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:06 AM
ssean72
3rd Gear
If you go on EBay, you will find aftermarket checkmate graphics, that are just like OEM, for $29 to $55.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Decals-Vinyl...nEnNVQ&vxp=mtr
You can ask the seller for the colors you want to use, I have them make me graphics for many minis, as I buy and sell them.
Wonder if they can do the hood stripe?

Old 07-11-2017, 07:19 AM
ItsmeWayne
You can just about get anything you want, if you contact the sellers.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...es&_sacat=6000

Old 07-11-2017, 11:00 AM
ssean72
3rd Gear
You can just about get anything you want, if you contact the sellers.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...es&_sacat=6000
They can't do the hood stripe, but found someone her in Ga that can do it. Thanks for the help

Old 11-27-2017, 12:43 PM
ItsmeWayne
Not much going on with me lately. I have not really done anything to my 06 JCW since last summer. I had added a M7 bar and modified it for strength. The towers were not bulging, so nothing was needed to be done, other than the mods I did to it prior to installing it.

Don't mind the filthy car, as winter is on us and it has rained for weeks here now!
The car is running great and I am very pleased with how it goes and handles. Lots of twisties here, to keep the adrenaline up!

Old 01-05-2018, 07:53 PM
ItsmeWayne
Where will you be in July?

Where will you be in July 2018?
I am planning on this ride!
anyone else?

The following users liked this post:
Bernard Barbour (06-24-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 06:52 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
I'm honestly tempted. I could take the autotrain down to Florida, visit my brother and join the start in Orlando.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
MTTS will be great, no plans yet for myself to go. But hopefully, I can make it.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 AM
ItsmeWayne
I thought I would add some of my thoughts on this 06 MCS JCW, that I may have not said before.
I am keeping this car as stock as possible, as I want it to be as original as possible for years to come. This car is significant and ten years from now, keeping it stock, but in good shape will be my goal. If I don't wreck it, or someone hit it, it will be a prime example of a stock car.
With that said, it pains me to leave it stock, as I want to make it a monster, so I guess my eye is out for another, that I can mod up to what I would have wanted to do with this one!

Mini Mania 2017 road ride

Old 05-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Black Forest
4th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Make it a MONSTER and head to Portland Looks like a good go I may drag Kermit down there.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:43 PM
ItsmeWayne
My 06 MCS JCW is not happy right now! I went out into my shop to do some work and saw this:

She is not happy right now and I am going to have to get on fixing it right away!
I have not checked it out yet, but guessing it is coming out of the hoses or fittings near the waterpump!

Old 06-24-2018, 01:06 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My 06 MCS JCW is not happy right now! I went out into my shop to do some work and saw this:

She is not happy right now and I am going to have to get on fixing it right away!
I have not checked it out yet, but guessing it is coming out of the hoses or fittings near the waterpump!
You're in good company doing the same job right now, cheers.

I also found out I have a Dinan throttle body.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:19 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Dinan, I like surprises!

174,000 miles, my water pump finally went out on my 04 MCS. Got around to tearing into the car, putting it in service mod to replace the water pump and a few other gaskets etc while I'm in there. Started to take a few other things apart, off and etc. Surprise, I look into the throttle body and found out my car has a Dinan throttle body.

Don't know much about it? Didn't find a lot of info on the web about this throttle body for the Mini. Anyone like to chime in?
Thanks

Old 06-24-2018, 10:30 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Bernard Barbour
You're in good company doing the same job right now, cheers.

I also found out I have a Dinan throttle body.

Your crank position sensor o-ring has gone to hell. It needs replacing! Might as well service the supercharger, now that it is easier!
Also if the pesky low fan speed is not working, now is the time to do that also.
Let me know what you found out was leaking coolant. Many times it is the fitting that goes into the block.
I wish mine was already in the works, but I just spent the better part of a week in the hospital with a blood infection and I am pretty weak right now! I may start working on it Monday!

Keep me posted on your progress!

Old 06-24-2018, 10:36 PM
ItsmeWayne
quote: Don't know much about it? Didn't find a lot of info on the web about this throttle body for the Mini. Anyone like to chime in?

Dinan throttle body is out of the BMW tuning group. It is a good thing!

The following users liked this post:
Bernard Barbour (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 06:05 AM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Wishing you a speedy recovery to regaining your strength. I cleaned everything up, it was the gasket to the block as you said. Also replaced the thermostat, the crank position o ring, the green gasket and so on.

Didn't know about the low speed fan issue. I'll check while I'm in there also.

Also got some great feedback from other forums about the throttle body, happy about it.

Talk to you soon.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:20 PM
ItsmeWayne
I have been working on my JCW Mini, due to a water leak and some maintenance work that needs doing.

Front end off, radiator out
I need to replace the fan speed switch again, as the OEM one died again. This time I am going to try and aftermarket one, in hopes it will last longer.

old one died:

non oem his time

Just because I have it.

I will find the coolant leak next. I am going to pressure test the engine and the radiator each by themselves.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by Bernard Barbour
174,000 miles, my water pump finally went out on my 04 MCS. Got around to tearing into the car, putting it in service mod to replace the water pump and a few other gaskets etc while I'm in there. Started to take a few other things apart, off and etc. Surprise, I look into the throttle body and found out my car has a Dinan throttle body.

Don't know much about it? Didn't find a lot of info on the web about this throttle body for the Mini. Anyone like to chime in?
Thanks

Thats a very rare find. its a slightly larger throttle body if i remember right. Like 59.75mm.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-12-2018, 07:53 PM
ItsmeWayne
The new coolant tank came in today, so I guess it is time to do a little work:

This one takes the stock pressure cap. The old on was not good and leaked.

This is the old one: It had a leak on the top tube:

Now I can get to testing the system for other leaks!

Quick Reply: Just scored an 06 JCW