JCW Power Up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 02:17 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Ill see about the Dinan when I get the car back.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:22 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Naw, its all good!!
What really pisses me off, is that this should have been done BEFORE delivery, as stated.
My car falls into that window, the car was delivered to the dealer February 2017, the bulletin was dated April 2017, I took delivery July 2017. Another strike for Alexander MINI. The PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) was pretty much non existent. They should have heard the noise in the lower control arms, and remediated the issue prior to delivery.

Avoid their service department.
There goes my coding!!!
Yours is an interesting customer satisfaction situation. IF the update should have been done (if it was out prior to delivery), and if the control arm issue was evident at delivery, then you are correct that pre-delivery failed.

No harm in placing a very friendly call to the General Manager, asking for his/her support and help with your special situation. Of course, you understand that the coding is independent of the dealer. But you would have waited to buy the coding until all the stuff that SHOULD HAVE BEEN HANDLED prior to original delivery was done. You WANT to indicate that you are completely satisfied, and you were probably asked at time of delivery that, if for any reason you were not completely satisfied, to please give the dealer the opportunity to address your concern. Well, you're taking them up on it.

Again, this is a courteous conversation. You're not pissed, just very disappointed and out the money and time spent to get the coding done and you are hoping the dealer can make it right by reimbursing you or giving you some accessory you want of equal value or whatever.

Just depends on the value of your time and the mood of the GM who handles your call.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:45 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
I wrote a real letter to the owner and GM. Regarding my first visit to their service dept.
YES, Virginia, a letter in an envelope with a stamp sent by USPS.
It's been two weeks without the courtesy of a response.

But I guess this is the 21st century, so maybe social networking
schematic will wake them up

Old 09-02-2017, 04:52 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
I wrote a real letter to the owner and GM. Regarding my first visit to their service dept.
YES, Virginia, a letter in an envelope with a stamp sent by USPS.
It's been two weeks without the courtesy of a response.

But I guess this is the 21st century, so maybe social networking
schematic will wake them up
Well done. Now time for the old-fashioned telephone follow up. "Just following up on my letter of.... Need your guidance regarding the best way to get this resolved to my satisfaction...."

Nick can't say no.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:04 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Well done. Now time for the old-fashioned telephone follow up. "Just following up on my letter of.... Need your guidance regarding the best way to get this resolved to my satisfaction...."

Nick can't say no.

Im done there.
Im the consumer, they depend on consumers, Im one less.

Back to the Dinan. Ill get my car back Wednesday, Ill reinstall the module and see.
Now on to find a PC laptop to recode!!

Old 09-02-2017, 05:44 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Im done there.
Im the consumer, they depend on consumers, Im one less.
When you're done, you're done. I'd make the call. Just for giggles.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:52 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Well I guess I spoke too soon about CEL's with a piggyback after the DME update.

Got one yesterday, cleared it, drove a couple hundred miles between yesterday and today and it came back. Same code each time. Can't find anything about it, car ran just fine with it.

:LIN, communication: missing 1B8302
:LIN, communication: checksum wrong 1B8308

:( if I clear it it seems to come back after a couple hundred miles of driving. CEL both times came on when starting the car.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by trentiles
Well I guess I spoke too soon about CEL's with a piggyback after the DME update.

Got one yesterday, cleared it, drove a couple hundred miles between yesterday and today and it came back. Same code each time. Can't find anything about it, car ran just fine with it.

:LIN, communication: missing 1B8302
:LIN, communication: checksum wrong 1B8308

:( if I clear it it seems to come back after a couple hundred miles of driving. CEL both times came on when starting the car.
Makes me wonder if the DME update is all about piggyback tuner killing. Plugging a hole that allows the tuners to work. Thanks for the update!

Old 09-03-2017, 01:09 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
Looks like my CEL might be from the radiator. Found a post from vetsvette where he had the same code and the dealer replaced his radiator due to a faulty sensor. Soooo guess I will be calling mini on tuesday. What a pain.

At least it doesn't seem to be a piggyback CEL.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:38 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Looks like my CEL might be from the radiator. Found a post from vetsvette where he had the same code and the dealer replaced his radiator due to a faulty sensor. Soooo guess I will be calling mini on tuesday. What a pain.

If it's code U019D (OBD-2) or 1B8302 (ISTA) then it's probably that. I've had it too. Definitely unrelated to a piggyback unit such as the Dinan on my car.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:05 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wowie! I got my DinanTronics Sport module installed on Saturday and am totally impressed with both the power increase and the seamless driveability. Feels completely like it came from the factory that way. So far I have been running in Sport+ and Race.
This will surely result in some negative comments...but it was installed by one of my three local MINI dealers. They are part of the Sonic Automotive chain (over 100 stores across the US) and they say it WILL NOT affect any potential warranty claims. Their stores have had a long relationship with Dinan, understand how the unit works and its implications, and the only stipulation is that if the Dinan unit itself fails, it would be up to their warranty to replace. They have installed more than a few on S's, I think I might be the first JCW they did. They were running a special, full regular price for the unit, free installation, I was only too happy to have someone else risk the busted knuckles and burned fingers.
I also discussed the DME upload with my service advisor. She didn't suggest doing it that day as it sometimes can take awhile but she said in their experience it should not affect the Dinan's function. Anyway, I am very happy with the product and can't imagine any reason to shell out three times as much for the Elite.

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 06:04 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
If it's code U019D (OBD-2) or 1B8302 (ISTA) then it's probably that. I've had it too. Definitely unrelated to a piggyback unit such as the Dinan on my car.

Thanks, definitely seems radiator related. Terry from Burger Tuning also said it's not JB4/piggyback related

Old 09-04-2017, 11:02 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear

A new radiator, under warranty, I hope?

Old 09-05-2017, 06:23 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
A new radiator, under warranty, I hope?
It will be covered under warranty. I will be calling the dealer today to schedule it.

What's funny is the CEL went away all on it's own yesterday. Must be an intermittent issue with the sensor.

Last edited by trentiles; 09-05-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:28 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Same way it was with mine. It would self clear and run for a week or so without a CEL. Got progressively worse though until I had to take it in for regular service. Last night I tried my fog lights for the first time since the work was done and got a "Fog Light Malfunction" warning. Now I have to take it back and get that checked out.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:22 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Same way it was with mine. It would self clear and run for a week or so without a CEL. Got progressively worse though until I had to take it in for regular service. Last night I tried my fog lights for the first time since the work was done and got a "Fog Light Malfunction" warning. Now I have to take it back and get that checked out.
Ugh that is frustrating.

My mini goes to the dealer this friday for the CEL/radiator.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Johras
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't had the light come on while running Sport (2 psi), going to switch it back to Sport+ and see if it makes any difference.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 PM
mvt888
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had the DME update on Oct 7th

Is it safe to buy Dinan sport? Still working after update? Will Dinan refund if it doesn't? Thanks.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:52 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mvt888
Is it safe to buy Dinan sport? Still working after update? Will Dinan refund if it doesn't? Thanks.
yes , get it !. Dinan also has a satisfaction guarantee on their products which is something like 10 days . It's a great product for the $

Old 10-17-2017, 06:19 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
My car would not start, and threw codes after installing Dinan, with new coding.
Called Dinan, they gave me the green light to return it to vendor.
New one working fine. Has a July 2017 date.
Coincidence? Maybe.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:40 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
I really want to know root cause for the Dinan not working post update. They are the ONLY ones who have this issue. What are they doing different/wrong?

We will probably never get an answer though.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 AM
mvt888
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car would not start, and threw codes after installing Dinan, with new coding.
Called Dinan, they gave me the green light to return it to vendor.
New one working fine. Has a July 2017 date.
Coincidence? Maybe.
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to mention/request July 2017 date just in case. I'm at 48K mi and will be out of warranty soon, so not likely to visit dealer for anymore updates thereafter. Still not sure if update is the cause, but as you say, certainly coincidental. Kinda reminds me of jailbreaking/rooting phone and how updating always kills it....cat/mouse game.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:23 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Clubman went in for its first annual service this week. Service adviser said it was okay to leave the Dinan box hooked up. So I did.

The dealer did three updates to the software in addition to the regular service and some other suspension and air conditioning service bulletin repairs.

After getting my car back, I ran the car hard today in Sport mode with the Dinan in Sport+. 91 pump gas as always. No issues. Smooth as silk. Plenty of grunt. Ripped right along. I've been running the Dinan continuously since around this time last year.

Happy camper so far.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 PM
Sailingsumo
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Throwing boost codes!

Hey Guys,

Coming to the forums for some advice.
I’m running a Dinan sport on my new ‘17 F56 JCW. My only other mod is a cold air intake. I’ve been using the tune on sport+ for 2000 Miles with no problems whatsoever. Absolutely loved the performance gain. All of a sudden, I’ve been throwing P12A8 (low boost pressure) and P12A9 (high boost pressure).
The question is whether it’s a problem with the tune or the sensor.

I’ve only seen “Low boost” codes associated with piggybacks on the forums.
Should I contact Dinan, or remove tune and bring in for service? If it’s a faulty sensor, is this common on stock vehicles? Has anyone experienced this?

Looking forward to hearing back!!
Thanks!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:45 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Sailingsumo
Hey Guys,

Coming to the forums for some advice.
I’m running a Dinan sport on my new ‘17 F56 JCW. My only other mod is a cold air intake. I’ve been using the tune on sport+ for 2000 Miles with no problems whatsoever. Absolutely loved the performance gain. All of a sudden, I’ve been throwing P12A8 (low boost pressure) and P12A9 (high boost pressure).
The question is whether it’s a problem with the tune or the sensor.

I’ve only seen “Low boost” codes associated with piggybacks on the forums.
Should I contact Dinan, or remove tune and bring in for service? If it’s a faulty sensor, is this common on stock vehicles? Has anyone experienced this?

Looking forward to hearing back!!
Thanks!
There are several sensors that can throw codes, including, of all things, a radiator sensor.

Also, there have been a few instances where the Dinan units were bad -- actual malfunction undisclosed by Dinan but when replaced with a new Dinan unit, the issue went away.

Some dealers don't want to see the Dinan on the car when they do their troubleshooting. Some don't care. Common wisdom is to first contact Dinan to see what, if anything, they want to try.

Otherwise, it's a trip to the dealer for them to plug your car into their system for diagnostics. Most would agree that if you take the car to a dealer, it is best to go in Dinan-less.

Be sure to write down the exact code(s) you are seeing.

Please let us know the resolution.

Quick Reply: JCW Power Up!!!