JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW / GP Brake ducts

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:13 PM
rob76turbo
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JCW / GP Brake ducts

Has anyone installed and used any of of these?

http://www.georgeco.org/diy/mini-brake-duct-diy/
or
http://new.minimania.com/part/NMB400...2-53-Cooper--S
or
http://www.sneed4speed.com/mini-coop...ke-cooler-kit/

OK, I realize there is a HUGE price difference between the first on and the latter duo, but I am interested in ease of install and if they work.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
JCW Brake Ducts

Here are the installation instructions. Pretty straightforward, and we're happy to help with any questions!

http://new.minimania.com/pdfile/NMB4000_INSTR.pdf

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:42 PM
rob76turbo
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you Mini Mania

Thanks for the feedback! I saw the web page with the install instructions. My only complaint is that it says that the wheels will not turn lock to lock in some circumstances and there may be ground clearance issues. I think of that as somewhat of a design compromise. The ducts should have been designed wider and not as deep across the lower A arm. Just saying...

What have people that bought and installed it reported back? Does it indeed restrict lock to lock wheel movement and does it scrape?

I really think this looks like the best solution with the easiest install (no cutting required...which is a good thing).

Old 06-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
JCW Brake Ducts

Originally Posted by rob76turbo
Thanks for the feedback! I saw the web page with the install instructions. My only complaint is that it says that the wheels will not turn lock to lock in some circumstances and there may be ground clearance issues. I think of that as somewhat of a design compromise. The ducts should have been designed wider and not as deep across the lower A arm. Just saying...

What have people that bought and installed it reported back? Does it indeed restrict lock to lock wheel movement and does it scrape?

I really think this looks like the best solution with the easiest install (no cutting required...which is a good thing).
Hi Rob:

It is simple to install with only basic tools necessary.

As for the limitations, anything that hangs below the suspension reduces ground clearance. However, this should be a non-issue on the track or street, unless rallying on dirt / gravel course.

Regarding full-lock limitation - we list this as a precaution because depending on the position of the hose, the hose 'may' limit the full-lock. Since the hose can move, be routed differently, or installed in different lengths, results may vary. From our experience a few test runs to make adjustments does the trick!

Hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any other questions!

Last edited by Mini Mania; 06-17-2016 at 02:27 PM. Reason: add graphic
Old 06-17-2016, 03:42 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I haven't used any of them, but I've been wanting brake cooling ducts on my car for about a year. I had a track day that really cooked my brakes, and I fought brake fade all day. I think it depends on your priorities. The DIY ones are cheap and seems like they would help some. I think the sneed ones work the best since they get the cleanest air supply, but I haven't pulled the trigger on them cause I like my fog lights. I really like the mini mania ones, I hadn't seen those before, but they look like they'll do a pretty good job of cooling the brakes with no cutting of the bumper. They probably are a bit of a pain to pull the scoops off except for when you're at the track, but honestly is it a deal breaker? for me, I think it'd be worth it to not have to cut on my bumper, and swapping out ducts/fog lights doesn't sound any easier than pulling off the scoops.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:28 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Brake Ducts

Thanks RacingGuy, we agree!