JCW JCW Pro rear diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 03:30 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
JCW Pro rear diffuser

Quick installation tip - I initially used a glue gun to adhere the top part of the diffuser, but after a few weeks I noticed it wasn't holding that well, and only the screws on the bottom and a clip in the middle kept it from flying off.

I installed it at a DIY day, and the tech and I didn't know what Betalink was. I know now that Betalink is the adhesive that BMW uses to adhere carbon spoilers to the trunks; but, I also heard that it can be difficult to work with. So, before I decided to make the plunge into Betalink, I tried 3M double-sided auto trim tape.

Well, if you decide to install one of these on your own, use the 3M double-side tape to secure the top portion. It took me all of 10 minutes, and this thing isn't moving.

Attached Thumbnails JCW Pro rear diffuser-img_0213.jpg  
Old 01-06-2016, 05:33 PM
krohm
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It looks nice man, I just had the dealership install mine at delivery but I know exactly what your talking about, I had to use some 3M double sided tape to secure a piece since it was lose.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:59 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
I was hoping the tape would work as well as it did on my redo of the little spoiler extensions. I tried to eyeball the spoiler extensions, and didn't realize how instantaneous the adhesive strips would bond it to my spoiler. Needless to say, I completely screwed up the first install.

I was afraid to try to rip them up thinking they'd peel the paint off. Finally, got some advice about heating them up with a blow dryer and using fishing line to remove them. I put the 3M tape on them after cleaning them up, and did a much better job the 2nd time around. The tape worked perfectly on today's adventure, too.

Attached Thumbnails JCW Pro rear diffuser-img_0376.png  
Old 01-06-2016, 07:45 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I'm not much of a fan of the rear diffuser, sorry. Same thing goes for those roof spoiler deflectors. I love the stock JCW spoiler in it's "smooth" aero look and feel (it's sweet "as-is").

I do like the front splitters (and the rear splitters I've seen on a few cars) though...these 4 pieces should come standard on the JCW without a doubt!

Just my opinion,

John

Old 01-07-2016, 02:34 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
I'm not much of a fan of the rear diffuser, sorry. Same thing goes for those roof spoiler deflectors. I love the stock JCW spoiler in it's "smooth" aero look and feel (it's sweet "as-is").

I do like the front splitters (and the rear splitters I've seen on a few cars) though...these 4 pieces should come standard on the JCW without a doubt!

Just my opinion,

John
OK - Thanks

Old 01-07-2016, 10:25 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kfmuller
Quick installation tip - I initially used a glue gun to adhere the top part of the diffuser, but after a few weeks I noticed it wasn't holding that well, and only the screws on the bottom and a clip in the middle kept it from flying off.

I installed it at a DIY day, and the tech and I didn't know what Betalink was. I know now that Betalink is the adhesive that BMW uses to adhere carbon spoilers to the trunks; but, I also heard that it can be difficult to work with. So, before I decided to make the plunge into Betalink, I tried 3M double-sided auto trim tape.

Well, if you decide to install one of these on your own, use the 3M double-side tape to secure the top portion. It took me all of 10 minutes, and this thing isn't moving.
Thanks for the tip. I've had the diffuser sitting in the box in the shop for a couple weeks now as it's been either too cold or too wet to try and install. Saturday looks like it might be "The Day", so this is timely. I was appalled by the absolute lack of decent installation information that came with the diffuser.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:19 AM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
Couple of questions as I have been considering doing the rear diffuser as well.

How difficult was the installation? I am fairly handy and have done plenty of car work, but never really with the body and the plastic bits.

Also, is there any improvement with the amount of dirt and dust that gets all over the boot with the diffuser?

I had a voucher for my Mini dealer when I got my JCW and I almost ordered it then. They told me that the instructions do not come with the part but that they will print them out for me if I order it.

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:24 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 1chaos52
Couple of questions as I have been considering doing the rear diffuser as well.

How difficult was the installation? I am fairly handy and have done plenty of car work, but never really with the body and the plastic bits.

Also, is there any improvement with the amount of dirt and dust that gets all over the boot with the diffuser?

I had a voucher for my Mini dealer when I got my JCW and I almost ordered it then. They told me that the instructions do not come with the part but that they will print them out for me if I order it.

Thanks.
My dealer printed the directions off for me, too. Maybe, they can give you a copy when you order the parts for you to review in advance. It was a pretty straight forward install, but I felt some time pressure since I was taking up a lift at our DIY day at the dealership. The most difficult part was removing the old part in the center section - the clips are very tight. We sprayed them from the back with silicone spray, but a couple still were very difficult to get out. I ended up tugging with such force that the plastic part itself started ripping, so no going back to the old part for me. You reuse the rear fog lamps (they get flipped upside down, and I think we traded sides). Make sure you keep track of how the rear park sensors go back in - I think there was a notch that matches up perfectly, but it's been a few months. Finally, use the double sided tape when you put the exposed diffuser part on. The combo of that on the top with the screws on the bottom will keep this thing from going anywhere. There is no need to use the Betalink adhesive, and worry if it's going to get messy back there during the install. All in all, it would take me roughly 30-45 minutes to do the complete install the 2nd time around.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:32 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
My dealer printed the directions off for me, too.
Any chance you could scan the instructions and post them here?

Old 01-08-2016, 10:07 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Unfortunately, I didn't keep them. I just tossed everything when I finished and got out of there. I was a bit frazzled because I screwed up positioning the spoiler extensions.

Your dealer should be able to print them out for you or email you the PDF.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:28 PM
JC Exec
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
Any chance you could scan the instructions and post them here?
Did you get the instructions?
I would luv to get a copy

Old 01-12-2016, 05:37 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JC Exec
Did you get the instructions?
I would luv to get a copy
Sorry, not yet. The parts guy at Mini of Birmingham is playing hard to get. I'm too far to go down there so I'm playing phone tag. Will upload if I ever succeed.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:42 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Well done.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172