JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Has anyone done a JCW-S transplant to a stock non-S MC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 08:19 PM
twoturbos1mission
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone done a JCW-S transplant to a stock non-S MC?

i searched around, but searching around for "cooper works transplant" (amongst other searches) didn't yield anything helpful, so... I'm just curious - has anyone picked up the JCW-S kit and installed themself onto a non-S?

Once the wife is out of warranty, it might be a little project I could mess with, after I finish the rebuild I'm doing on her sister's car. But before I drop the 4g's, I just want to know it's possible. I don't know if the fueling system is different at all between the MC and MCS (stock). Any help/advice is appreciated.

Otherwise it'll be a turbo kit, heh. Thanks all.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:41 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Short Answer No.

Longer Answer. While it is theoretically possible, you couldn't do the transplant with just the JCW parts. For example, the JCW doesn't come with an intercooler, it uses the stock unit, so you would need to purchase the intercooler and the ducting for it. There are other things as well. Also, the engine internals on the MCS are stronger than the internals on the MC engine. The transmission isn't geared for the JCW kit on the MC, and may not be able to handle it, depending on the type of transmission. There are more issues, but these should be enough to dissuade you from the project.

If you are really looking for more power above the basic mods, I would look to a turbo kit, such as the one from www.m7tuning.com. Otherwise, I would tell you to trade in your MC for an MCS and then tune from there. The purpose of the MC is not to provide a platform for serious power upgrades. It is mainly an economical version, that is lighter weight, and has as good if not better handling than the MCS. It is still a very fun car, but not one that would make sense at taking to 200hp or beyond.

Old 08-04-2004, 05:44 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
twoturbos,

Another possibility would be to acquire via England the JCW kit for the MC (currently sold there but not officially imported into the USA). Then you would have the ultimate in exclusivity, an actual JCW kit and of course, no warranty on the mod, as it wouldn't be "authorized".

http://www.johncooper.co.uk/JohnCoop...r+Tuning+Kits/

This should help you drool a bit!

Last edited by MGCMAN; 08-04-2004 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:51 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Yeah but the JCW kit for the MC is really nothing. It barely gives any noticeable power, and the cost is astronomical for the benefits. I really can't believe they even sell at all.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:21 AM
twoturbos1mission
1st Gear
I can't wait for Bentley to release the manual for the MC/MCS so I can leaf through and read about everything. You'd be surprised how well a Bentley manual makes for excellent bathroom reading! LOL!

That being said, I have to figure out what my goals are with the car. I'll take a look at the internals on the MC and see what they're rated for, along with the transaxle. My buddy has a GT25 sitting in his garage taking up space, and that would certainly provide enough power for what I'd be looking to do.

That is, of course, if the internals and the drivetrain can take it.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:57 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
I would recommend if you are looking for power, to go with an MCS. You will probably only be able to boost the power to the level of a Stock MCS, or a little more, safely on the internals of the MC. And even that will come at a price greater than the price difference between an MCS and an MC. Doesn't make sense to get to 170-180hp for $2,000 more than the cost of the MCS at 168hp.

I am not sure what your purpose was in purchasing the MC, but it makes a great track car. I would really focus on the handling aspects of the car. If you are really into spending money. Get some really light rims, Leda coilovers, H-Sport front and rear sway bars, and a few other items.

Old 08-04-2004, 06:33 PM
twoturbos1mission
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dgszweda1
I would recommend if you are looking for power, to go with an MCS. You will probably only be able to boost the power to the level of a Stock MCS, or a little more, safely on the internals of the MC. And even that will come at a price greater than the price difference between an MCS and an MC. Doesn't make sense to get to 170-180hp for $2,000 more than the cost of the MCS at 168hp.

I am not sure what your purpose was in purchasing the MC, but it makes a great track car. I would really focus on the handling aspects of the car. If you are really into spending money. Get some really light rims, Leda coilovers, H-Sport front and rear sway bars, and a few other items.
(un)fortunately, the car is my fiancee's. Which is why I didn't get the S. I knew that if we bought the S, I'd be trying to mod it while she was trying to drive it to work as a daily driver. And I know I'd make it undriveable, at least to her standards.

So.. her car will be all show, no go. Maybe an intake and exhaust, but probably not much more. We'll see I guess. I'm just curious for future reference; if a couple years down the line she decides she wants somethin else... well, I might just buy it from her. Who knows.

I'm too indecisive, it's in my blood. ;-P