JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW First Track Day in my '13 JCW roadster

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:23 PM
wesmc
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Track Day in my '13 JCW roadster

I haven't even picked up the car yet but will be going to Road America in a week.

I need pads. Recommendations? It will be a daily driver, I don't mind switching pads back and forth.

I have a spec Miata and bolt patterns are the same but doubt I'll get lucky enough to have the offset and width work out to use those wheels for Mini track tires. If tires have to share duty then I'll run Dirreza's.

The car is bone stock. After some lurking and searching here I was considering throwing an intercooler and JB+ at it beforehand. 93 octane is easy to find around here (Kansas City.) Is there a better plan?

Judging from others posts here I expect the car will see 130 at RA...seems like getting the last 10mph out of a roadster takes a TON of distance. Prolly won't happen, even on a track that big.

Any wisdom before my first Mini track days would be appreciated.

(of course the search also revealed the guys with bone stock 170mph cars...I didn't buy based on their testimony )

Old 06-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
A lot of people will say the Yellow stuff or Hawk HP+ pads are fine (not me. I easily over heated the Yellow stuff in an S). However, if you don't mind changing out the pads get a set of Carbotech XP10 pads, you will be glad you did.

Do the intercooler, but not the JB+. You will find that the JCW has plenty of power especially for your first time out.

Brake Fluid change is a must. Motul 600 is a good option.

Get a set of get a set of CG Locks or the Schroth Quick Fit 4 pt harnesses for you and your instructor.

The Dunlops will be fine. I am running ZIIs and love them. Next tires will be the Bridgestone RE-71Rs. Today's street tires are great on the track.

Harry's lap timer for your iPhone.

Wisdom - slower is faster. Get a good instructor. Don't turn in too early.

And Have Fun (I am at WGI for a 3 day event in 5 days...Wooo Hooo)

Old 06-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
As for wheels, I doubt the Spec Miata wheels will fit. They are 15", yes? The JCW brakes need a 17" to clear the calipers.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:33 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmc
I haven't even picked up the car yet but will be going to Road America in a week.

I need pads. Recommendations? It will be a daily driver, I don't mind switching pads back and forth.

I have a spec Miata and bolt patterns are the same but doubt I'll get lucky enough to have the offset and width work out to use those wheels for Mini track tires. If tires have to share duty then I'll run Dirreza's.

The car is bone stock. After some lurking and searching here I was considering throwing an intercooler and JB+ at it beforehand. 93 octane is easy to find around here (Kansas City.) Is there a better plan?

Judging from others posts here I expect the car will see 130 at RA...seems like getting the last 10mph out of a roadster takes a TON of distance. Prolly won't happen, even on a track that big.

Any wisdom before my first Mini track days would be appreciated.

(of course the search also revealed the guys with bone stock 170mph cars...I didn't buy based on their testimony )
Carbotechs are awesome pads as suggested above, but pricey.

If you're planning on switching them out and not worried about daily driving with a noisy compounded brake. I would recommend HP+ by HAWK. I run them, on a non Mini car, for track purposes and it holds up well. I also have a slotted/vented rotor set up with stainless steel brakes and an aggressive brake fluid. The HP+ is their aggressive track application compared to their HP and street compound pads.

Can buy fronts here.
Can buy rears here.

I run Direzza ZII's as my street tires and Nitto NT05's as my track ones. I honestly love my Direzza's more, hah! Good tire with great grip. Let me know if you need anything else or have any other questions.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-18-2015, 12:43 PM
wesmc
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my first message was not very clear. I've had lots of track time, just not any time in the Mini.

We just got back from Road America. All-in-all I was happy with the Mini. The extent of my track prep was new street tires, flush brakes with good fluid, oil change, and the best parts store pads they had.

I drove the car from Kansas City to Elkhart Lake. Great drive up. Drove about 80mph and averaged just over 30mpg on the highway.

We were running with the Porsche club so I was one of only three non-Pcars.

We ran two days and the JCW would hang with well driven first gen boxsters on hoosiers and hawk pads. On 911's, Unless the the 911 was very aged or had a novice at the wheel they had me, that was to be expected.

I was a little surprised that I had nothing on the Boxster on those long straights.

I don't know if I'll track the Mini again. She was good but not great. The most obvious problems relate back to the front wheel drive. While it could be made faster it will never be as fun as throttle steer around the carosuel into a flat-out run through the kink.

btw- If you do track your Mini be prepared for the fuel consumption. I drove for 8 hours on the road between fill-ups but burned a GPH on RA.

All-in-all its a good performer. Maybe I'll do a few small tweaks and put on R7s with track pads and try it again.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:02 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't know if I'll track the Mini again. She was good but not great. The most obvious problems relate back to the front wheel drive. While it could be made faster it will never be as fun as throttle steer around the carosuel into a flat-out run through the kink.
Agree with the FWD statement. Have a buddy with a MKIV GTI 20th anniversary. Sure, stock things are alright, but the thing is fully built with a substantial turbo setup. Put on slicks and still couldn't keep the power to the ground on the track. Was sliding all over the place. He wont go back out with it until he does an AWD swap or an LSD.

Glad you had fun with it on the track! That's an awesome track too.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
So my first message was not very clear. I've had lots of track time, just not any time in the Mini.

We just got back from Road America. All-in-all I was happy with the Mini. The extent of my track prep was new street tires, flush brakes with good fluid, oil change, and the best parts store pads they had.

I drove the car from Kansas City to Elkhart Lake. Great drive up. Drove about 80mph and averaged just over 30mpg on the highway.

We were running with the Porsche club so I was one of only three non-Pcars.

We ran two days and the JCW would hang with well driven first gen boxsters on hoosiers and hawk pads. On 911's, Unless the the 911 was very aged or had a novice at the wheel they had me, that was to be expected.

I was a little surprised that I had nothing on the Boxster on those long straights.

btw- If you do track your Mini be prepared for the fuel consumption. I drove for 8 hours on the road between fill-ups but burned a GPH on RA.

All-in-all its a good performer. Maybe I'll do a few small tweaks and put on R7s with track pads and try it again.
If you are going to a Rcomp then you have to go to a true race pad, especially if you have experience on the track. However, MINIs are camber challenged. There is an easy fix of pulling the white plastic pin on top of the strut towers and kicking the top of the struts inward. The best fix is a set of IE fixed camber plates. This will allow the Rcomps to work better. Others will tell you to also add a 22mm rear sway bar. The rotation will be greatly improved. Hate to see you give up on what you consider to be a really fun car on the track without a couple of easy fixes.