JCW Just drove the new JCW. My impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:34 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YOLO is right. I pretty much have the same build.. To me I rather spend money on something I really wanted vice spending six years of payments on something I settled for.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:49 PM
cameltoes
1st Gear
Originally Posted by quickave
YOLO is right. I pretty much have the same build.. To me I rather spend money on something I really wanted vice spending six years of payments on something I settled for.
Exactly. Can't wait to get it! Beginning of July, I'm told.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:23 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Smile What a thunder grey JCW With red roof looks like in person

A lot better then the miniusa rendition

Attached Thumbnails Just drove the new JCW. My impressions.-image.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 02:54 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dube53
Thanks for your pictures.

Considering the cost of one of these with decent options being in the 40K range, I don't foresee another Mini in my future if there is even a Coupe to come back.

There are so much better cars in this price range with more reliability records and far better performance.

The front end of this new JCW is simply ugly and the rear tail lights oversized from other pictures I saw. The overall design is missing in putting together something attractive.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Smells like envy in here. You are right about being able to buy cars that are faster, however... everyone and their mom own's a Mustang Or a GTI. In my time as a MINI owner I have maybe seen only 3 other JCW's on the road.

It's an exclusive thing. You are wrong about the reliability, I believe it's to early to see reliability in the new BMW motors, I believe you are representing the N14/N18 motors.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:59 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by the matey
everyone and their mom own's a Mustang Or a GTI. In my time as a MINI owner I have maybe seen only 3 other JCW's on the road.
It's an exclusive thing. You are wrong about the reliability, I believe it's to early to see reliability in the new BMW motors, I believe you are representing the N14/N18 motors.
Nice car! And true, you don't see many JCWs. I'd like to see figures on how many the sell per year. The JCW Coupe and JCW Roadster are definitely the rarest Minis (RIP, the last Roadster rolled off the assembly line in Oxford the other day, they made 6 to finish the model. Coupe to follow). And lo and behold there's a guy in Prescott AZ with the same car as me except it's a 2012. Same color and everything. I was eating at Dennys and pulled up next to it! The Mustang GT, now that's a bad car right there. And the reliability thing is anyone's guess, let's be honest.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:18 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Yea I mean I wouldn't have minded getting a GT Prem Mustang since they redid a lot of stuff.. but living in Boston I wouldn't be able to drive it in the winter with all this snow lol. I have to admit..my two Minis did amazing this winter.. granted I guess where I parked them after a storm but yea.. and good news everyone..just confirmed my Mini is in production!!! 5-6 weeks and thats it till this baby is running the street of B-town

Old 04-24-2015, 05:26 AM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
Heard from someone last night that the first manual transmission ones will be rolling into the US in July. Since I am close to the top of the queue, hopefully that will include mine. Just finally got my custom stripes sorted out too with offers from a couple different sources. Can't come soon enough. Wish I would have it for MOT, but will definitely have it for Minis in Foliage.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:35 AM
quickave
3rd Gear
I'll have to look up that event. I'm hoping I get atlease mine before MOT. Did u see the pic I got of the thunder grey w/ red roof KCW. They have one in TX

Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Camel! for those seat u wanted to see..check out this new JCW.. I think its the seats you wanted to see Bro

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...98968646&Log=0

Old 04-25-2015, 01:33 AM
deovolens
3rd Gear
A very nice car. Only one remark :Peugeot gets 270 HP out of the "old" 1.6 engine.Why can BMW not get more out of this 2.0 engine.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:14 AM
quickave
3rd Gear
Deovolen I'll take a stab at this! I'm going to guess it has to do with a lot of factors.. Mainly fuel efficiency. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW increased the HP and ran it though a Dyno chart and didn't see it worth the extra HP. Factors like fuel efficiency, touque steering, and the JCW relative high torque peak band (1.2k to 4k) all are things that they might have had consider if pushed for something with more HP.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:52 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I tend to agree. How much more would you want in fwd car?

Old 04-25-2015, 09:47 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by deovolens
Peugeot gets 270 HP out of the "old" 1.6 engine.Why can BMW not get more out of this 2.0 engine.
They can, but they don't want to encroach on BMW models or the 3rd gen GP. This is the same engine (B48B20O0) as in the BMW 225i Active Tourer wagon, with same power output. So it's also about sharing the engine across different vehicles. As for the 1.6, look at all the issues even without pushing the HP.

Last edited by rkw; 04-25-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:33 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Deovolen I'll take a stab at this! I'm going to guess it has to do with a lot of factors.. Mainly fuel efficiency. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW increased the HP and ran it though a Dyno chart and didn't see it worth the extra HP. Factors like fuel efficiency, touque steering, and the JCW relative high torque peak band (1.2k to 4k) all are things that they might have had consider if pushed for something with more HP.
Also agree. The engine is capable of more output, but it's not what MINI wants. It's easy to throw power at something, but you sacrifice other factors to do it. They want to be able to offer a car that is performance oriented, still gets good mileage and isn't so powerful that an ordinary consumer couldn't easily handle it. There's only so much power a FWD car can put to the ground and while an experienced driver can overcome those limitations, an ordinary driver could not. The JCW output is the right blend of speed, reliability, and economy while still being confidence inspiring for anyone that gets behind the wheel.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:50 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Also agree. The engine is capable of more output, but it's not what MINI wants. It's easy to throw power at something, but you sacrifice other factors to do it. They want to be able to offer a car that is performance oriented, still gets good mileage and isn't so powerful that an ordinary consumer couldn't easily handle it. There's only so much power a FWD car can put to the ground and while an experienced driver can overcome those limitations, an ordinary driver could not. The JCW output is the right blend of speed, reliability, and economy while still being confidence inspiring for anyone that gets behind the wheel.
What he said. Having driven a JCW for a year I'm not really interested in more power. The car has plenty. More power could lead to an accident IMO. I've ridden in plenty of fast cars and this is a plenty fast car. It gets about 24 MPG in town, 5 worse than my 2007 MCS.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 AM
the matey
4th Gear
Yeah, also BMW also tends to underrate their numbers on HP sometimes. Use to ask "why doesn't the JCW have more horse power?" Then I got one and understood... It's not a drag racer, it's about the handling. I have seen only slightly modded GP2's eat up E92 M3's at the track... of course could be the driver lol. Also everyone forgets the power to wait ratio at play... I "surprised" a new 328i which has a bit more horsepower.

As mentioned before BMW doesn't want to step on their brands own toes, kinda like how Porsche made the Cayman GT4 with less HP than the 911 so it wouldn't ruin the classic 911 being the top of the line.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:18 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I drove a new JCW convertible as a loaner while my base hardtop was getting an oil change. It was nice. The only two things that were noticeably different than my car (aside from being a convertible) was the quicker 0-60 and the nice sound of the exhaust. It might sound cruel on my part but those two things aren't worth exactly twice what I paid for my base hardtop new.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:38 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by whaap
I drove a new JCW convertible as a loaner while my base hardtop was getting an oil change. It was nice. The only two things that were noticeably different than my car (aside from being a convertible) was the quicker 0-60 and the nice sound of the exhaust. It might sound cruel on my part but those two things aren't worth exactly twice what I paid for my base hardtop new.
The big 3 things are the turbo/tune, brakes, and body kit. You probably didn't notice the last 2 things. I personally think the brakes are the most different thing from the MCS. If that stuff doesn't float your boat you shouldn't get one.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:46 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
The big 3 things are the turbo/tune, brakes, and body kit. You probably didn't notice the last 2 things. I personally think the brakes are the most different thing from the MCS. If that stuff doesn't float your boat you shouldn't get one.
Exactly, Kinda weird the dealer had a JCW as a loaner, must not have been able to sell it lol. Was Night and day difference coming from my old S to JCW. Maybe same for you?

Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
A JCW loaner??? I want that dealer lol. I believe you however I would laugh if they lended you a S w/ JCW package lol.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:28 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A JCW loaner??? I want that dealer lol. I believe you however I would laugh if they lended you a S w/ JCW package lol.
I found the window sticker in the trunk and it said $41,000.00. Does that sound like a jazzed up S or a JCW?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Lazygreek
Neutral
Originally Posted by 1chaos52
Heard from someone last night that the first manual transmission ones will be rolling into the US in July. Since I am close to the top of the queue, hopefully that will include mine. Just finally got my custom stripes sorted out too with offers from a couple different sources. Can't come soon enough. Wish I would have it for MOT, but will definitely have it for Minis in Foliage.
What did you go with as far as stripes? Color combo on your car? I have a deadline of May 7th to get my JCW 6MT order in by. I'm 98% going black w/red roof, now I'm not sure about sunroof because I want to do the concept car stripping. But I'm not sure of the roof stripe color with a black car, should I go with black stripes or white.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:00 AM
quickave
3rd Gear
whaap the simple answer is I have no ur what you drove lol. Either a fully loaded Conv S w/ JCW package or a JCW loaner (which would be a first). Either way like I said, I believe you. I'm going to have to agree with BigNewt & Matey .. You prolly just didn't notice.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:27 AM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Lazygreek
What did you go with as far as stripes? Color combo on your car? I have a deadline of May 7th to get my JCW 6MT order in by. I'm 98% going black w/red roof, now I'm not sure about sunroof because I want to do the concept car stripping. But I'm not sure of the roof stripe color with a black car, should I go with black stripes or white.
My car is going to be Thunder Grey with red roof. I have a sunroof on mine and am still doing the stripes up there, just obviously won't need to be as long. I am doing the same stripes as the concept car (minus the details in the brake ducts etc.) with red on the boot and bonnet with as close of a color match as I can get for the Thunder grey on the roof.

Go with whatever looks good to you. I have been thinking about changing mine up a bit and doing the concept stripes but having the outer (thinner) stripes a different color. Not sure yet but something I am considering. I have a while until I can get the stripes anyway.

Why the deadline on the order? The concept car stripes are not an option on the order, you have to go aftermarket for those so you have time on those.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:55 AM
quickave
3rd Gear
Very nice lazy! I was all about the classic black /red until I saw both in person and gave into the thunder grey. The black w/ red will look great no matter what. I would recommend the white on the red roof.

Quick Reply: JCW Just drove the new JCW. My impressions.