JCW Just drove the new JCW. My impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:28 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Dube

I'll admit there are better performance cars in the 40k price range and also admit that the pics don't do the Mini justice. For me it's a matter of pride owning a JCW of my own. I don't see myself bonding over just other Mustang GT or a 2 or 3 series BMW for 40k. This will be my forth Mini I have owned and I'm only 28 years old so I have a of course I have a deep love and respect for this brand. I think for many of us on this form we enjoy the fact that you don't just see a JCW every day. I think it specks volumes for those who can spend 40k on anything we want, and we choose Mini for the love of the brand and for the pure delight of driving one. I know I can buy a GT or a Golf or a BMW.. But that defeats the purpose of owning something out of the norm. I totally respect your opinion and I hope you do the same for mine and any like-minded owners on the form.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:54 AM
cameltoes
1st Gear
Thanks a lot for your impressions. I'm considering getting one of these new JCWs and I'm almost ready to take the plunge. At first I was considering a Cooper S, because as others have said, there are far better performing cars out there for the money a JCW costs. But none of them are Minis and I can't help but love the Minis despite not having owned one yet.

What's your opinion of the JCW body kit in the flesh? I'm concerned that it looks a bit aftermarket, like a styled Nissan Skyline. That's not really my thing, as I want a good-looking but still sophisticated car

Old 04-20-2015, 01:44 PM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cameltoes
Thanks a lot for your impressions. I'm considering getting one of these new JCWs and I'm almost ready to take the plunge. At first I was considering a Cooper S, because as others have said, there are far better performing cars out there for the money a JCW costs. But none of them are Minis and I can't help but love the Minis despite not having owned one yet.

What's your opinion of the JCW body kit in the flesh? I'm concerned that it looks a bit aftermarket, like a styled Nissan Skyline. That's not really my thing, as I want a good-looking but still sophisticated car
I honestly did not really pay much attention to the body kit. It still looks like a Mini, and I think the changes are pretty subtle as things really didn't jump out at me. I was more concerned with the ride.

As for the comments about the front bumper and tail lights, while I agree that the design is not all that pleasing, we get it. I am honestly a little tired of hearing that argument as The car is about more than looks and should not be dismissed based on that. I even mentioned in my original post about these things but they really should not be a deal breaker. I don't think I have ever found a vehicle where everything looked the way I think it should. The front bumper does look better on dark colored cars which is why I did thunder grey, and maybe there will be something in the aftermarket to help that look better in the future. As for the tail lights, I will let the people behind me worry about those.

Sorry for the rant. We are all entitled to our opinions and I know these forums tend to attract comments that are more negative than positive.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:14 PM
cameltoes
1st Gear
Well, I'm ordering one, gaudy body kit or not. I disagree about the previous remarks on the looks: I think the new Mini looks stunning.

I have yet to see actual photos of the standard JCW seats in black cloth. Has anyone seen them yet?

Old 04-20-2015, 02:27 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Camel I'll found you a JCW cloth one.. I know they grey one I drove was cloth but I think it was was the upgrade sport seats one with red ends.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:34 PM
cameltoes
1st Gear
Originally Posted by quickave
Camel I'll found you a JCW cloth one.. I know they grey one I drove was cloth but I think it was was the upgrade sport seats one with red ends.
Thanks!
I've also only seen the red seats. They look good, but they are very expensive. Going with the standard black cloth seats will save me $2000.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:41 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Camel according to Mini of Warwicks website..their JCW has the black cloth..check out there link below... 9th pic I believe

http://www.miniofwarwick.com/Vehicle...-RI/2503587833

Chaos what would you recommend? I personally recommend you get the JCW Sport seats leatherette (what ever they call it). These sports seats are really nice and they come are a additional option but don't cost anything more.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:44 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
This is a very similar looking color combo to my 2014 JCW Coupe. Sounds like the OP agrees it's a step up on the MCS in performance, braking, and exhaust and I can assure you all that's the case with my car too. The standard seats are a good deal, I paid $2700 for my heated Recaros, pretty expensive option that you won't have to pay for. And good about the suspension feeling not too harsh. I have the sport suspension too, but I have a stiffer frame than the hatchback/4 door models. Sounds like this car will be a keeper to me. I really like the AT. I can be in 4th at 40 mph whereas I would have been in 3rd with my manual and the car pulls the same. With the power this car has just a little gas pedal and you're way over the speed limit!

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 04-20-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:46 PM
cameltoes
1st Gear
Camel according to Mini of Warwicks website..their JCW has the black cloth..check out there link below... 9th pic I believe

Chaos what would you recommend? I personally recommend you get the JCW Sport seats leatherette (what ever they call it). These sports seats are really nice and they come are a additional option but don't cost anything more.
Those are actually the upgraded ones. The standard seats (at least in Sweden) are all black. Here's a render:

Old 04-20-2015, 02:48 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Nice color combo BigNew

Old 04-20-2015, 03:00 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Aw ok camel yea I haven't seen those yet. Looks good though.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:25 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Right the seats on the car listed here are the leather/Dinamica seats that are a $1950 option (and the ones I personally would select...). The seats camel posted are the cloth/Dinamica seats that are no charge.

You can also select any of the other seats available on the Cooper S and even the leatherette non-sport seats from the Cooper (why though?)

Old 04-20-2015, 04:34 PM
cameltoes
1st Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Right the seats on the car listed here are the leather/Dinamica seats that are a $1950 option (and the ones I personally would select...)
That they cost an additional $1950 makes me wonder how iffy the standard black cloth/Dinamica seats are. I mean, $1950 is quite a lot and it won't even give you full leather.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:02 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Yea I ended up just selecting the leatherette sport seats which didn't cost me anything. I have to admit the middle section that lowers down to provide extra support for your legs is a great option. Granted I would probably only use it has a passenger prolly.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:51 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
That they cost an additional $1950 makes me wonder how iffy the standard black cloth/Dinamica seats are. I mean, $1950 is quite a lot and it won't even give you full leather.
True, but you do get more of the Dinamica material which is like alcantara.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:36 AM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
I just did the cloth seats. I have had leatherette in my prior 2 Minis and leather in my wifes VW and I actually do not see the big deal that people make on leather seats. I live in NH and the seats are always cold in the winter and blazing hot in the summer. In my current Mini I even went and got custom seat covers just to be more comfortable like sitting in cloth seats.

The leather are definitely nice as far as keeping clean, but for comfort they just are not my cup of tea.

Now as far as the options. My understanding is that the no cost sport seats are the same ones that are in the S, no integrated head rest and while extremely comfortable, not quite as bolstering as the JCW ones. The JCW seats and the Leather Dinamica are the same style of seat with the integrated head rest etc, and I think you get lumbar support in both though it only mentions it on the Dinamica. If that is the case, the cloth ones have a great lumbar support pre-set in them that was really comfortable for me.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:02 AM
cameltoes
1st Gear
No, the JCW has JCW sport seats as standard. Not the same as on the S. At least not here in Europe. The JCW seats are always made of Dinamica, it's just matter of whether the rest is cloth or leather, I believe.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:30 AM
quickave
3rd Gear
Chaos are you switching the chrome headlight rings out for the black rings? I did it w/ my Coupe but that was because it was black on black.. With our cars being thunder grey I'm wondering what would look better.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:43 AM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
Chaos are you switching the chrome headlight rings out for the black rings? I did it w/ my Coupe but that was because it was black on black.. With our cars being thunder grey I'm wondering what would look better.
I don't plan to. My BRG R56S which I am giving to my wife is completely blacked out so I am going in the other direction with it just to ahve something different. That is one dark car, and a couple of times when trying to find it in an unlit parking lot we could not see the car at all!!! I also do not like the black out unless you have the black headlight housing which you cannot do with the LED at this point.

I did think about it though. Might be nice to do blacked out with a black viper stripe for boot roof and bonnet.

No, the JCW has JCW sport seats as standard. Not the same as on the S. At least not here in Europe. The JCW seats are always made of Dinamica, it's just matter of whether the rest is cloth or leather, I believe.
That is what I said, the JCW gets the JCW sport seats which are cloth by default. The no cost leatherette seats are not the JCW seats, they are the seats that come by default with the F56S. To do the same seats in the JCW version is the $1950 addition. I asked the dealer about this when I did my order because I did not see the $1950 option at first, so asked him if they were the same seats only leather. He then showed me the different options.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:50 AM
quickave
3rd Gear
I like your thinking. I'll do this.. When mine comes in I'll have Mini of Boston put them on and take a pic so you can get a idea of what it would look like. I'm not sold on getting the black rings either.. I just hate chrome lol.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 AM
cameltoes
1st Gear
The JCW is barely quicker than the Cooper S on paper. Just a split second faster from 0 to 60 mph. Why is it that 39 more hp doesn't do more for acceleration?

It's a 20% power increase, but when will I actually notice it?

Old 04-21-2015, 11:41 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The JCW is barely quicker than the Cooper S on paper. Just a split second faster from 0 to 60 mph. Why is it that 39 more hp doesn't do more for acceleration?

It's a 20% power increase, but when will I actually notice it?
Oh you'll notice it every single time you push on the gas pedal trust me, and when you really push it look out. An MCS will be left in the dust, and I had one for 7 years and thought it was pretty quick. You gotta be careful with 0-60 figures, I've read that people with JCWs get 5.7 seconds. There's no comparison with the MCS, none. To be honest with you I consider my car almost too fast. If I could have gotten the same body style and color combo with the Brembos and body kit I would have considered it. I just don't have the opportunity to jump on it very often.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:48 AM
cameltoes
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Oh you'll notice it every single time you push on the gas pedal trust me, and when you really push it look out. An MCS will be left in the dust, and I had one for 7 years and thought it was pretty quick. You gotta be careful with 0-60 figures, I've read that people with JCWs get 5.7 seconds. There's no comparison with the MCS, none. To be honest with you I consider my car almost too fast. If I could have gotten the same body style and color combo with the Brembos and body kit I would have considered it. I just don't have the opportunity to jump on it very often.
Glad to hear it. I just took the plunge! :D

Old 04-21-2015, 11:50 AM
quickave
3rd Gear
Camel what was your build! And congrats buddy!

Old 04-21-2015, 12:13 PM
cameltoes
1st Gear
Camel what was your build! And congrats buddy!
Thank you!

Orange with black wheels and roof, black cloth seats, navi, sunroof, H/K stereo and HUD. Some other details like electric folding mirrors and tinted windows. I got a fair price too, I think.

It's still much more expensive than I thought my future car would be, but I just couldn't resist. YOLO?

Quick Reply: JCW Just drove the new JCW. My impressions.