JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

R53 ecu

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 AM
RonG
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R53 ecu

Not sure if this is where this post belongs, but I figured it was as good as any.

I have an R53 with a Borla Sport exhaust, 15% pulley, Mini Madness intake and JCW 380cc injectors. I'm looking for a decent ECU program to take advantage of the mods I've made. RMW looks like the way to go but there is no way I can make the jaunt to So. Cal anytime soon. Is there anyone along the Wasatch front that can do this or would I be better off using the scan tool from RMW and doing a long distance re-tune? Our is there someone else that can do a decent re-tune long distance?

And for what it's worth I contacted Mini of Murray. Asked them if they could install the injectors and do a JCW flash. I was told they would not do the flash and if I wanted the injectors changed I would have to do it myself or take it to an independent shop. So if you live North of SaltLake City I highly recommend Midnight Auto in Layton

Old 11-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Raven Mocker
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes When it comes to Dealers using a JCW reflash it has been my experience as well that they will not touch my car at all. So I am on my own. You have a few options as stated in this forum. Im not going to tell you to use the search key but it is a good idea. Many should still be on the same page though.

RMW does good work. You can't go wrong with them on a tune. The peps in my club that have gone that route have all had good results.

Originally Posted by RonG
Not sure if this is where this post belongs, but I figured it was as good as any.

I have an R53 with a Borla Sport exhaust, 15% pulley, Mini Madness intake and JCW 380cc injectors. I'm looking for a decent ECU program to take advantage of the mods I've made. RMW looks like the way to go but there is no way I can make the jaunt to So. Cal anytime soon. Is there anyone along the Wasatch front that can do this or would I be better off using the scan tool from RMW and doing a long distance re-tune? Our is there someone else that can do a decent re-tune long distance?

And for what it's worth I contacted Mini of Murray. Asked them if they could install the injectors and do a JCW flash. I was told they would not do the flash and if I wanted the injectors changed I would have to do it myself or take it to an independent shop. So if you live North of SaltLake City I highly recommend Midnight Auto in Layton

Old 11-17-2013, 04:29 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
RMW's rep for customer service for some, is the equivalent of working with a Chinese Company via email, and no translators....

My Recommendation here: NAM Thread:Mynes/ByteTroniK Remote tuning

Old 11-17-2013, 04:51 AM
GP0256
5th Gear
I would buy a can tool and a canned mod from RMW. Honestly, I am sure he has done the same exact tune for come one with the same mods at your altitude and it would pair with your set up very nicely.

As grey raven said....... Their customer service is horrendous, but everyone still uses his tunes, that's how good they are!

Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 AM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GP0256
I would buy a can tool and a canned mod from RMW. Honestly, I am sure he has done the same exact tune for come one with the same mods at your altitude and it would pair with your set up very nicely.

As grey raven said....... Their customer service is horrendous, but everyone still uses his tunes, that's how good they are!
I would prefer customer service if problems arise, I have heard horror stories of this with RMW.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:51 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
RMW has a very good reputation. Mynes not so very much. Do your research & proceed cautiously. Talk with your dealer many will flash a JCW tune for you.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:00 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
RMW has a very good reputation. Mynes not so very much.
Seems you have that backwards....

Old 11-17-2013, 02:04 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-

Seems you have that backwards....
Depends if you are referring to customer service or performance results.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using NAMotoring

Old 11-17-2013, 02:24 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by PrplPplEtr
Depends if you are referring to customer service or performance results.

Really can't have one without the other...One could patch your run flat tire with a puncture close or at the sidewall and it will probably get you to point B, but good luck getting to point C or D.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:35 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh boy a tuner war. I stand by my statement.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:43 PM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
Oh boy a tuner war. I stand by my statement.
I'm with ash....my RMW tune has been flawless and when I have a question Jan answers my emails within hours.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:01 PM
piston
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had an absolute awesome time with jan and rmw. Very good customer service and their parts are second to none.

I did alot of research.

You let the guy who tunes for professional race teams tune your car and builds track ready, no bs parts. RMW has proven their product ten times over.

Will it be more expensive to build a RMW engine? Yes. It will also last more than 5k miles and not lunch motors for no reason.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:21 PM
scoopieb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chkmini
i'm with ash....my rmw tune has been flawless and when i have a question jan answers my emails within hours.
+1

Old 11-18-2013, 10:34 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Same.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 AM
irkath
Banned
Originally Posted by scoopieb
+1
Same.

Its like anything else. If there is a bad thing, some one will post it. Yet the other 500 people who are perfectly fine about an item will never post it. Yes, I'm sure both camps have had unhappy customers.

Have you ever worked in customer service?? Sometimes, NO MATTER what you do, say, give, take and allow the customer will not be happy.

Just do you're research, read threads on both. Look at gains, longevity, ask questions and oh, I don't know, maybe call both tuners and talk to them.. you will quickly understand what system is for you and why.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 PM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CHKMINI
I'm with ash....my RMW tune has been flawless and when I have a question Jan answers my emails within hours.
With a one word answer!

Forget getting an actual sentence, BUT I will agree he is the go to for a tune.