JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Are jFCW brakes Brembo manufactured or Brembo "style"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 10:47 AM
woahfactor3
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are jFCW brakes Brembo manufactured or Brembo "style"

I (due to lack of internet skills no doubt) cannot find a solid answer to this question. I've seen Mini official documentation state both "Brembo style" and flat out "Brembo".

Can anyone point me to a technical document that actually clarifies if the brakes are manufactured by Brembo or are called "Brembo style" because they're big and red but are manufactured by Mini?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by woahfactor3
I (due to lack of internet skills no doubt) cannot find a solid answer to this question. I've seen Mini official documentation state both "Brembo style" and flat out "Brembo".

Can anyone point me to a technical document that actually clarifies if the brakes are manufactured by Brembo or are called "Brembo style" because they're big and red but are manufactured by Mini?

Thanks!
FYI, MINI could not advertise the JCW as having Brembo brakes if they weren't Brembo brakes. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Old 08-02-2013, 11:15 AM
TimB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
FYI, MINI could not advertise the JCW as having Brembo brakes if they weren't Brembo brakes. Just my 2 cents.
Somebody went to law school!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:20 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TimB
Somebody went to law school!
Lol. Just common sense
Nice to meet you Tim :wave:

Old 08-02-2013, 01:04 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
From what we know the 4piston setup is made by Brembo for JCW. So yes they are Brembo brakes with a JCW logo

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi,

They are brembo, but they are a not particularily high quality calipers. Certainly they are not designed for motorsport.

Many people have had issues with the seals melting. Several people (including myself) have had problems with the pistons melting during track use.

The pistons are made of some cheap plastic type material. Mine melted and partially collapsed during motorsport use. I had to rebuild them with metal pistons.

This is unlikely ever to be a problem for people who do not race or track the cars, and for standard road use the calipers are an excellent product.

Brembo is a large company. They make some of the best motorsport calipers in the world. They also make some pretty average cheaper calipers which are sold to OEM manufacturers so they can put "brembo" brakes on the car.

Robbo

Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 PM
woahfactor3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Maybe they let the intern post an article

The OE list is the best proof I've seen, thanks!

Old 08-02-2013, 04:08 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by woahfactor3

Maybe they let the intern post an article

The OE list is the best proof I've seen, thanks!
Lol

Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Chulander
1st Gear
The Brembo logo is embossed on the caliper as well. As it is on Porsche and Ferrari calipers.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 PM
NTBM3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by robbo mcs
Hi,

They are brembo, but they are a not particularily high quality calipers. Certainly they are not designed for motorsport.

Many people have had issues with the seals melting. Several people (including myself) have had problems with the pistons melting during track use.

The pistons are made of some cheap plastic type material. Mine melted and partially collapsed during motorsport use. I had to rebuild them with metal pistons.

This is unlikely ever to be a problem for people who do not race or track the cars, and for standard road use the calipers are an excellent product.

Brembo is a large company. They make some of the best motorsport calipers in the world. They also make some pretty average cheaper calipers which are sold to OEM manufacturers so they can put "brembo" brakes on the car.

Robbo

Where did you source the metal pistons?

I have noiced the dust seals cracking from heat but did not check the material of the piston...

Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought a GP2 which has the 6 pot Brembo brakes. I'm hoping they have metal pistons. Anybody know about these?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnna
I just bought a GP2 which has the 6 pot Brembo brakes. I'm hoping they have metal pistons. Anybody know about these?
I will be pulling mine apart shortly to have a look. However, I believe they are the same calipers as on the BMW 135. If this is the case then the pistons on the 135 are not metal, but are better than the ones in the JCW 4 pot. If you google the 135brakes there are stories of people having the piston material crack etc after track days. There are aftermarket kits available to convert them to metal pistons. there are also shims available for the 135 which sit between the pad and the pistons and are supposed to reduce heat transfer.

I am hoping that when I pull apart the GPII calipers I will find that although they are the same caliper as the 135 that they already have the metal pistons inserted. I will let you know