JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

UNICHIP + JCW

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 08:32 AM
ftbt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Actually the second switch is not the ECU power switch. It is a switch for a water sprayer unit for the intercooler that will be under development soon. There is no ECU power cutoff switch for the MINI ECU. The Service Engine Soon light will reset after 5 start/drive/off intervals if it does not see any continuing problems."

You could be right. Actually the instructions in that regard are a little bit confusing. Part of the instructions state, " Your Unichip computer's two timing maps are selectable via one of two switches on the PnP harness. The switches are labeled "Pwr Cut" and Map A/B." (Actually neither was labeled.) "...The PnP harness has another switch labeld "Pwr Cut" which removes power from the OE ECU and can be used to clear check engine lights."

Then, the rest of the MINI instructions state, "The Pnp harness accessory cable contains the optional Water Spray Switch and Map A/B switch and can be positioned where ever desired."

Go figure?

I do know that the red LED light lit up, indicating that the "B" map was online ... and I have been one happy camper ever since!

ftbt

2002 Works Cooper S, Sn. 1165, DS/W; Sport + Premium + Alta CAI + Unichip + H Sport Springs, Competition Front & Rear Sway Bars, Rear Camber Control Arms + 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's; 215-45-17 Kumho MX's + AP Racing Formula Big Brakes, X Drilled + Slotted Rotors, Goodridge SS Lines + Clear Bra + Schroth Harness and a full tank of 100 octane ... life is good!

2002 CVT Cooper LY/W + Sport + 17" S Lites & Pirelii Euforias + Clear Bra

Old 04-12-2004, 08:42 AM
MeanGRN
2nd Gear
ftbt, There are some cars out there that will allow a reset of the cel if the ECU is powered down for several minutes. Not our beloved MINI. I agree with you that the instructions are vague. I thought the same thing at first.

I am running the B map also which is a very aggressive map specifically designed for 100 octane race gas. I only use 93 octane and no service engine light ! And you can really feel the difference between both maps, so the red led stays lit on my car !

Cheers,

JD

Old 04-12-2004, 09:12 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed, fault codes are stored in non-volatile memory. So, you can disconnect the battery, remove the ecu completely, etc. The only way to clear faults is either use a scan tool, or correct the problem that caused the fault and go through a series of fault-free driving cycles (only works with some faults).

I'm definitely looking forward to see actual whp gains for the Unichip.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:15 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Just spoke to Jack at Unichip. The overall price for custom mapping is $100 more than standard mapping. I wonder if that's worth the extra cost for a JCW with additional mods (header, TB, CAI, ignition coil/wire, etc...). Unichip sounds like an ideal way to maximize the performance with its custom ECU mapping on the dyno. :smile:

Old 04-12-2004, 02:08 PM
minifletch
3rd Gear
I spoke with Jack about a month ago (for too long). He is very informed and friendly.
My take is this. If money is no object get the Unichip I believe the depth of the map is incredible and you can have a custom map done without getting a second mortgage. One thing I learned about all the ecu (pie in the sky) options is this. For most of us with intake exhaust and pulley you just aren't going to get numbers much better than 10ft lbs and 12h.p. peak which is what the unichip delivers (optomistic, yes). When GIAC comes out with theirs I am sure there results will be similar. The stock baseline with those mods on Scott's car at Unichip was 215 with the stock 36 software. Based on this information I bought a one click. If it delivers 8h.p. fine with me. I spent $449 and now have both programs stored in it's memory, can toggle back and forth if needed for dyno testing etc..

My subjective review will be coming very soon. :smile:

Old 04-12-2004, 06:11 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For most of us with intake exhaust and pulley you just aren't going to get numbers much better than 10ft lbs and 12h.p. peak which is what the unichip delivers (optomistic, yes). When GIAC comes out with theirs I am sure there results will be similar.
I disagree. I fully expect GIAC to make average those numbers - to increase that much under the curve, not just increase peaks. If you look at the Unichip data, not only does it look woefully inaccurate (as Andy pointed out), 185HP with just intake(???), but the area under the curve for the intake, exhaust & pulley is downright lousy! From the looks of it, I'd have a hard time believing that even the butt dyno would have a hard time feeling anything but a little improvement in throttle response. The other graphs, however, look decent to impressive. But I still have real doubts about the dyno and methods they used. Hopefully we'll see someone get it, dyno it and post the results.

Old 04-24-2004, 09:10 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Today at PDX PP, the Unichip was installed and custom tuned on my JCW. The result is quite impressive. I love the extra power, which is definitely noticeable!

Old 04-25-2004, 07:20 AM
ftbt
2nd Gear
"I love the extra power, which is definitely noticeable! "

It is a fantastic mod. I knew you would like it!

ftbt

2002 Works Cooper S, Sn. 1165, DS/W; Sport + Premium + Alta CAI + Unichip + H Sport Springs, Competition Front & Rear Sway Bars, Rear Camber Control Arms + 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's; 215-45-17 Kumho MX's + AP Racing Formula Big Brakes, X Drilled + Slotted Rotors, Goodridge SS Lines + Clear Bra + Cobra Daytona Seats + Schroth Harness and a full tank of 100 octane ... life is good!

2002 CVT Cooper LY/W + Sport + 17" S Lites & Pirelii Euforias + Clear Bra

Old 04-25-2004, 08:06 AM
MarkC
3rd Gear
davecsumini

can you share with us the increase in HP post Unichip?